Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2011, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,740 times

Advertisements

HI,

My husband and I have been vacating in the MB area for the last few years. We really like just south of MB and are thinking about buying a 2nd home in the area. We looked at some homes in Emmens Preserve in Market Commons along with homes East of 17 in the Surfside. We always vacation in the winter and not during peek season so I am a little worried about traffic getting in and out of Market Commons during the peak summer season. Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 12:29 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,150,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleD View Post
HI,

My husband and I have been vacating in the MB area for the last few years. We really like just south of MB and are thinking about buying a 2nd home in the area. We looked at some homes in Emmens Preserve in Market Commons along with homes East of 17 in the Surfside. We always vacation in the winter and not during peek season so I am a little worried about traffic getting in and out of Market Commons during the peak summer season. Thanks in advance for your input.
I've never had a problem even during peak season but I will tell you that the traffic light at the back gate is the longest traffic light on the planet. It does allow for all the cars in line to get through.

The heaviest traffic is heading south on 17 bypass so try and avoid that between 3PM and 6PM in the summer.

However, the new Overpass that is being built and to be completed in 2014 will alleviate all of the traffic problems at the back gate.

I'd go for it. Market Common is really a wonderful place to live and we are quite close to the beach.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:11 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,880,070 times
Yeah, Market Commons is a terrific area. It really boils down to what you and your husband will value most in the "beach" lifestyle. If you are ok being a short drive from the beach and prefer to walk out of your door to a cafe for a coffee or paper each morning, then MC is for you. I like walking out of the door each morning to see the morning sunrise over the ocean and taking my dog out to the ocean with the other dog area dog lovers so closer to the beach works better for us. Either way, you are moving to paradise! Good luck and wishing you much happiness here.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:08 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,560,208 times
Back to traffic in the Market Commons area.....

I have seen others complain about traffic in the Myrtle Beach area. The worst I have experienced here is not near as bad as New Jersey or SW Florida, although I don't think the Florida traffic is that horrible, even in the winter.

I drove from Murrells Inlet up Bypass 17 to Costco today. I would say the traffic was as bad as I have seen it here (to be expected on one of the biggest shopping Saturdays of the year), but again, not that bad. EXCEPT the light at 17/707/Farrow Parkway. Heading north I hit the red light with about 15 cars in my lane in front of me. The red light lasted longer then bridge openings I have waited for! Unbelievable!!

I hope whatever they are doing at that intersection improves thing a lot. I plan to avoid the area until they are done.......

Old 12-17-2011, 11:02 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,680,238 times
Try driving in SF, NYC, DC, Paris or LA, you will think it's a breeze.......

Everything is relative!

Old 12-19-2011, 10:41 AM

161 posts, read 331,077 times
Exactly vrexy!
When ever I hear someone in the Myrtle Beach area complain about traffic I say they should come up here and drive around the Frederick / Washington DC area for just a day - that will change their vision of "bad traffic"!

Old 12-19-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KavH View Post
Exactly vrexy!
When ever I hear someone in the Myrtle Beach area complain about traffic I say they should come up here and drive around the Frederick / Washington DC area for just a day - that will change their vision of "bad traffic"!
Actually Northern VA/DC traffic makes me think Jersey traffic is not so bad!

Just to be clear, I was complaining about the light, not the traffic......

Old 12-19-2011, 08:14 PM

Evening shopping around here is definately a blessing. I was just at the Garden City Walmart, the Inlet Mall and Olde Time Pottery (can't believe OTP closes at 9 pm Christmas week). All three places had nearly empty parking lots and checkout lines. If I were in NJ or FL the stores (and parking lots) would be packed! I'm glad to be spending my holiday money in an area that appears to need it most.......

Old 12-20-2011, 05:13 AM

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Evening shopping around here is definately a blessing. I was just at the Garden City Walmart, the Inlet Mall and Olde Time Pottery (can't believe OTP closes at 9 pm Christmas week). All three places had nearly empty parking lots and checkout lines. If I were in NJ or FL the stores (and parking lots) would be packed! I'm glad to be spending my holiday money in an area that appears to need it most.......
I agree with you. I haven't had any trouble with parking or lines at check out. NJ shopping this time of year was a nightmare!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:39 PM

Default THIS is traffic!

untitled picture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area