Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 12:24 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,322,481 times

Advertisements

Those who dont go to the beach need to get out of the way and let those of us who love and enjoy the beach through.

Spent my entire life from childhood to adult vacationing in Myrtle Beach and found that almost every place we ever visited we were given nothing but hospitality from mostly northerners and non natives.

Not saying some natives were not nice but those certain ones would flat out tell you that vacationers ruin their town etc etc.

Sorry but vacationers pay your bills as the locals could not pay the light bill without millions being spend in the MB area.

It is not YOUR town and not YOUR beach, it is ours for all of us to share.

Why does it turn into a northern versus southern issue at all?

Most locals we meet over many trips to MB that were overly nice were not born and raised in MB.

My entire adult life we were in MB for at least one vacation for 20+ years in a row without ever missing one and some years 3-4 times a year.

I know what we spent and it was a ton of bucks over the years.

Even met and talked to tons of business owners in MB as I love to chat with business owners and most are not from this area. Many very successful people who are a huge part of the community and always giving.

Time to stop sorting out locals, northerners, southerners, natives etc as it ruins just how great the Myrtle Beach area truly is for everyone.

We are taking 4 days next weekend and heading to Myrtle Beach to have some fun as we did not get to vacation in MB this year for the 2nd time in 20+ years. Mainly due to moving to Florida 2 1/2 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 12:26 AM

Carolina Dreams- Congrats on your move to Myrtle Beach.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:30 AM

253 posts, read 470,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Most people would kill to have this kind of life, and for the ones lucky enough to have this life it just seems weird not to get out and enjoy it every day, esp a beautiful beach. I guess i'm just a beach girl for life, the smell of salt water brings a instant smile to my face, when I'm at the beach I know i'm home.
I so agree and as a southerner, I have not been offended at all by this thread!

Seems like all of us who choose to retire at the beach do so because we love the salty air, the sounds of the waves, and just the overall serenity that comes with being at the beach. Either that, or we were fish in another life!

Old 09-22-2013, 07:20 PM

422 posts, read 487,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Those who dont go to the beach need to get out of the way and let those of us who love and enjoy the beach through.

I find this comment rude and nonsensical. For starters, how are people who don't go to the beach in your way of going to and enjoying the beach? Secondly, live and let live. This may come as a shock but different people enjoy doing different things. Some people like going to the beach, others like hunting, hiking, skydiving, gardening, staying in their homes, or whatever else. That said, as a native of Myrtle Beach it's more than just a beach area to me, it's where I can trace my family history back to the 18th century. Obviously some of you only value the area for it's beach but for many people like myself the value lies in historical family roots.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:34 PM

253 posts, read 470,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaVisser View Post
I find this comment rude and nonsensical.
C'mon...lighten up Adda...did you not notice the multiple (big grins) that were posted at the end of Sunny Day's comment? These usually mean the person is joking!

Old 09-22-2013, 10:17 PM

422 posts, read 487,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbycasa View Post
C'mon...lighten up Adda...did you not notice the multiple (big grins) that were posted at the end of Sunny Day's comment? These usually mean the person is joking!
Yes, I noticed. Still doesn't negate that I found the comment rude and nonsensical.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbycasa View Post

You took the words right out of my mouth. Some react with THINKING.

It was a joke, calm down and enjoy yourself.

Maybe go for a walk on the beach or something to see how great it truly is.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaVisser View Post
Yes, I noticed. Still doesn't negate that I found the comment rude and nonsensical.

Whatever. Are you kidding me. If you cannot take a joke or understand it to have some fun then you might as well hide in the closet or something.

Rude about what? You just said you dont go to the beach so it does not pertain to you at all.

Smile, it is nice to be happy and not so frozen.

Just dont take my conch shell or sand dollar from me.

Lighten up and have some fun.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:03 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,832,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
...If you don't go to the beach or even Like it...why bother moving here, since it's all about the beaches.
If one conducted a broad-based unbiased survey of why non-natives moved here, I suspect the beach would rank well below warm winters and low taxes as the primary reason. If the survey was gender-balanced, I think there's a good chance golf would rank above the beach. I might be wrong, but I doubt if more than 20% of my neighbors, very few of whom are natives, have been to the beach in the past year. I feel sure Market Commons and Frank's rank far higher on their priorities.

A few years ago, my ex-insurance agent, a native, asked me if I played golf. When I said no, his response was "why the hell did you move here?" Everybody has their own life agenda. I'm rarely on the beach anytime except sunrise or sunset, +/- an hour. Otherwise, I find the beach to be mostly boring, preferring to spend my outdoor time on the river or creeks, where the tranquility quotient is much higher and the ratio of wildlife to tourists is far better. Nothing against tourists, but gators make much better company.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:04 AM

62 posts, read 169,671 times
I live 900 yards from Cresent Beach but rarely go in the summertime...too hot and too crowded. But, I love the ocean breeze that I can feel while on my deck and I love the light. Yes, the light. I am probably not explaining it well, but the light here near the beach is brighter and just so darn beautiful. BTW, I moved to NMB for the opportunity to dance the Carolina Shag at least 3 nights a week. The beach is just an extra perk I take advantage of from time to time. Most locals aren't at the beach because, unless they are retired, they are working......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area