Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 04:36 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,720,235 times

Advertisements

For all of your consideration....
There is a big difference between being a Native and being a Local, and perhaps that is where the confusion lies in this thread.
I think that it is surely possible to be a Local if one has moved here for their permanent domicile, but they still aren't a Native- that designation is reserved for the lucky ones whose families are rooted here. Locals may get to a point where they are familiar, but they will never ever be Natives.
Whatever the case, I'm just glad that I now have the chance to be here every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 04:38 PM

161 posts, read 330,606 times
Amen busydesk!

Old 09-12-2013, 04:53 PM

460 posts, read 989,230 times
I'd never try to pass myself off as a native (or local) of SC, but I sometimes wonder if I could. I have the southern accent (though I never knew that until I joined the Navy), and my family has deep roots in the low country, going back to (at least) the 1700s. But, I've never actually lived in South Carolina. I think I'm the only one in my family with that distinction.

Now that I'm retired, I sometimes think about moving down that way. We'll see....

Old 09-13-2013, 12:11 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,687,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I'ved lived here for a little over 4 years now (YAY!) and I go to the beach almost every single day, however I don't have much of a tan at all. I don't wear any sunscreen, don't believe it's good for you, but my skin just doesn't really tan or burn. I do know a lot of people who live here year round and hardly ever go to the beach. Not sure why. I love the beach.
Me too...

Old 09-13-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muonic View Post
I'd never try to pass myself off as a native (or local) of SC, but I sometimes wonder if I could. I have the southern accent (though I never knew that until I joined the Navy), and my family has deep roots in the low country, going back to (at least) the 1700s. But, I've never actually lived in South Carolina. I think I'm the only one in my family with that distinction.

Now that I'm retired, I sometimes think about moving down that way. We'll see....
Comeon' down the more the merrier....
Really for a long while I thought my WV friends took on the Southern accent from here in SC.
Came to find out they have quite a big accent all their own.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:29 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,553,668 times
So when are we going to have a meet and greet at the Garden City beach? I've been there near the pier everyday this week.......

Old 09-13-2013, 04:21 PM

747 posts, read 1,684,283 times
Look I didn't mean to offend anyone, not sure why every one has to get offended about every little thing coming down the pike. It was more or less just a fun conversation between my husband and I to try to sort of the tourists and the people who live here. It bought up the question and I thought i'd ask since neither of us was really sure who was who, just to see if there was any way to tell. I have picked up a lot of valuable information that apparently even some people that live here don't know about yet from a few people I've spoken with. To me a local is a person who lives in a particular city, no matter for how long. To me a resident is the same as a local, and I proudly call myself one because I love my new home city, even if it has a ton of tourists, I enjoy it. I didn't fight for three years to get here just to sit in the house....I could have done that in WV for free, god knows there was nothing to do there worth getting out of the house for. I enjoy the beach, the beach stores, and every thing this city brings. I've considered this place more my home then the state I was born in, the state I was born in I just call that place a black hole of nothingness. I'm happy here, I just find it weird to live in such a beautiful, great place and stay home all the time because of tourists, seems like a waste of life, but that's just me. However I know to appreciate what I now have, because I came form WV....nothing could be as bad as that, even with rude tourists. I'll take tourists and traffic any day over not having any sort of quality of life. If people are happy with their lives fine, I wasn't really trying to tell anyone how to live other then state my opinion that I find it odd. Most people would kill to have this kind of life, and for the ones lucky enough to have this life it just seems weird not to get out and enjoy it every day, esp a beautiful beach. I guess i'm just a beach girl for life, the smell of salt water brings a instant smile to my face, when I'm at the beach I know i'm home.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:19 PM

Well, I for one knew it was just a "conversation" and I thought it was kind of funny too.
I'm from the North and when I go to a store even the salesgirl will say, " Oh your from New York, aren't
you?" I laugh and say "no." and "what makes you think that."
I am not offended. I say " New Jersey" and they say, " close enough."
People should be proud of wherever they come from and how ever they sound.
Nothing is right or wrong. This is America and we have people from all over.
Today was an example. While shopping in Target I heard a lady who seemed to talk Hawaiian. I have been there twice and I was just sure of it. She was talking with her children and I so wanted to ask her. Then when in a different area by the purses there were two people talking with Italian language. I went over to dresses, and had to really smile. Two ladies were talking with Australian accents.
It was just so interesting to me to have so many different languages spoken in such a small area.
Taking the discussion to more then a fun, and interesting posting is crazy.
We've all wondered who is who at the beach. So many lovely people and so friendly too.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
So when are we going to have a meet and greet at the Garden City beach? I've been there near the pier everyday this week.......
Oh funny, I've been down from the Surfside Pier and Vrexy has been further north I'm sure.
Then you are south at Garden City.
All us beach lovers up and down the beaches.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:30 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,553,668 times
We should tack a "City-Data Member" sign to our beach chair......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area