Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 05:02 PM

747 posts, read 1,684,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
thank you. and just cause one lives at the beach doesn't make one a local, you know ?
Actually it does kind of make one a local. If you are not a tourist and you live there....then what does that make you? It makes you a local, and I'm proud to tell people that I am. I adore my new home and the new culture I'm surrounded by. I proudly call myself a local now. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 05:05 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,323,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Seems kind of weird to let people on vacation control if you go to a beach or not......odd. why live at the beach if you don't go?
Has it occurred to you that there are people who live in the MB area that live there because their parents, and their parents, and so on and so on lived there and that they don't necessarily live a beach-centric life but stay because MB is home, the only home they've ever known?

It's also not necessarily "odd" to not want to go to the beach everyday and be surrounded by vacationers, and I don't think it's up to anyone to comment on how other people should live their lives and if it doesn't correlate with their own ideas, label them as "odd". As owners of a condo in MB that we visit a couple of times a year, I can say that tourists are not always polite, and in fact are often times somewhat rude. Many of them have no interest in respecting the locals or their property, and they have a sense of entitlement that because they are on vacation they can do whatever they want.

Our condo is in the residential section of N. Ocean Blvd. and some of our neighbors there who live in those beautiful oceanfront homes relate tales of total strangers walking through their yards, littering the beach in front of their homes, and even actually walking up and looking in their windows. Of their private homes. Because they want to see what a house on the ocean looks like inside, I guess. Rude. Very, very rude. Not all locals enjoy being surrounded by strangers everyday and that's really quite okay.

Not to be harsh, and I hope you won't take it that way, but...live and let live...ya know?

Last edited by canudigit; 09-10-2013 at 05:27 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 06:14 PM

935 posts, read 1,652,454 times
Quote:
Actually it does kind of make one a local. If you are not a tourist and you live there....then what does that make you? It makes you a local, and I'm proud to tell people that I am. I adore my new home and the new culture I'm surrounded by. I proudly call myself a local now. :-)
I would consider this a transplant or resident of, not a local. I certainly would not consider myself a local if I moved my residence to NewYorkCity.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:43 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,687,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
1 - You wont find many locals strolling the beach (unless a storm is approaching and the waves are for surfing), believe it or not, most locals dont even go down to the beach, too many vacationers.

2 - tank top, tanned (and not from laying out),old pick-up usually in the FoodLion parking lot.
Never go to Food Lion I find so many other stores in much better shape and cleaner.
Lowes and BiLos, for examples.

Love the beach and all of its waves. I get there as much as I can, but I avoid the weekends if possible.

No truck, lol....never. Just the T&C Van and maybe the Z4 heading to the beach!

I am now....A Local. ( I live here and its my new location....local)

Old 09-10-2013, 09:27 PM

538 posts, read 1,009,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Oh, I dont want to moderate this thread but just by the title it looks like trouble brewing.

I'm sorry but I'm crying lol right now. I didnt even get it for a second but thank you for cracking me up, I needed it. I'm sure ppl are going to get twisted but it's just a joke, hopefully they get that.
Glad to make ya laugh.....and yes, it was a joke, and hope no one was offended by it.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:48 PM

422 posts, read 487,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
You might be like me and think you don't....

I'm basing this not on my own opinion but the opinions of others, both Southerners and non-Southerners alike. I always get some variation of "You don't sound like you're from the South."

Quote:
I have to say my dentist office in Murrells are all from that area. They tell me "born and raised", and they have heavy accents.

Hence, why I said you start to hear more Southern accents the more south down the coast you go when you reach Pawley's Island/Litchfield. I guess you can include Murrells in that group.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
This was discussed awhile ago in another thread, but one of the local TV stations interviewed a researcher studying Southern dialect in SC. His work indicated the Southern sound has all but disappeared in the MB, Chasn, and Greenville areas, even among offspring of multi-generation natives. The dialect is not inherited, and the children are influenced much more heavily by their social environment (school, daycare, church, etc) than by their home environment. This was happening in every area of SC where there was a large influx from other regions of the country. Kinda sad, but I guess that's "progress".

Pawleys or Litchfield??? No way. We must be at least 80%+ nawthern invasion by now. The last time I heard a Southern sound down here was a young lady trying to explain boiled peanuts to a tourist, and I'm sure she had driven in from somewhere else. When I absolutely must have a feel-good fix of Southern, I spend a little time in Georgetown.

I'm a multi-generation native. And there's a difference in how the younger generation speaks (40 and under )vs the older folks. It's interesting.

Quote:
Pawleys or Litchfield??? No way. We must be at least 80%+ nawthern invasion by now.
My maternal grandfather is originally from Pawleys. Whenever I visit that area I notice the increased frequency in which I hear typical Southern accents. I'm not saying there isn't a large Northern transplant population or that everyone speaks with Southern accent once you reach Pawleys, just that the frequency in which you hear Southern accents increases, imo. Also note, Pawleys is where the Gullah-Geechee population of people becomes more prevalent.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Seems kind of weird to let people on vacation control if you go to a beach or not......odd. why live at the beach if you don't go?

I haven't been to the beach since I was 14. I'm 25 now. I can't speak for others, but when you're so used to being around something it sorta becomes invisible in a been there, done that kind of way. This is not unique to MB, but every place on Earth really. Most locals are meh while the tourists or new transplants are loving it. Interestingly, one of my buddies is originally from Vegas and he asked how I could live by a beach and not go for years and I pointed out the same way he lived in Vegas but couldn't care less about the Vegas Strip.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:30 AM

The worst is ME....I start talking the accent of anyone I've just been with. Australian is one I pick up easily when with my hairdresser. So then, I leave and start in. LOL
I'm trying real hard to stop it. The southern accent with friends who know I am no,t is hysterical.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaVisser View Post
I haven't been to the beach since I was 14. I'm 25 now. I can't speak for others, but when you're so used to being around something it sorta becomes invisible in a been there, done that kind of way. This is not unique to MB, but every place on Earth really. Most locals are meh while the tourists or new transplants are loving it. Interestingly, one of my buddies is originally from Vegas and he asked how I could live by a beach and not go for years and I pointed out the same way he lived in Vegas but couldn't care less about the Vegas Strip.
I understand that. I've heard it quite often from people.
I've gone to the beach since I was a baby. I live here for the sunshine and beach. I am called to the beach. The ocean calls me... So, I do still go. Not as much as I thought I would, but plenty enough.
For some reason it is deep in the souls of my family. My girls get the same calling to the beach. My Mom stood at the ocean waterline the evening she died. My Dad took us to the ocean every weekend.
It is a special place for us. Somehow it is peaceful, even with all the noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area