Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:29 AM

747 posts, read 1,681,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
The locals when they say " have a nice day" have that wonderful southern twang. They smile a lot and are happy with their world.
Although, many of the tourist are very friendly people too. It is the accent that kind of helps. Then again the WV people have a beautiful southern accent also. So that can also make for confusion.
You won't tell by people walking by. North, South, East and West...we look the same. LOL
Lol I have the wv southern accent. I grew up on the boarder of ky Ohio and wv. Where all three states meet. And I have a pretty thick accent but I love it. It's the only good thing I got from wv that I don't want to get rid of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:39 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaVisser View Post
Born and raised in Myrtle Beach. Imo, most people from Myrtle Beach, especially the younger generation, do not have Southern twangs/accents...
This was discussed awhile ago in another thread, but one of the local TV stations interviewed a researcher studying Southern dialect in SC. His work indicated the Southern sound has all but disappeared in the MB, Chasn, and Greenville areas, even among offspring of multi-generation natives. The dialect is not inherited, and the children are influenced much more heavily by their social environment (school, daycare, church, etc) than by their home environment. This was happening in every area of SC where there was a large influx from other regions of the country. Kinda sad, but I guess that's "progress".

Quote:
...You start to hear more Southern accents the more inland you go like Conway, Aynor, or south when you reach Pawley's Island/Litchfield.
Pawleys or Litchfield??? No way. We must be at least 80%+ nawthern invasion by now. The last time I heard a Southern sound down here was a young lady trying to explain boiled peanuts to a tourist, and I'm sure she had driven in from somewhere else. When I absolutely must have a feel-good fix of Southern, I spend a little time in Georgetown.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:42 AM

935 posts, read 1,648,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Seems kind of weird to let people on vacation control if you go to a beach or not......odd. why live at the beach if you don't go?
believe it or not, its sorta like taking it for granted or having it and not knowing it. For locals, its not a vacation, its a life. gotta work, go to school, whatever. Its not a vacation. and would you be amongst a lot of strangers ever day if you had the choice ?

Old 09-10-2013, 10:47 AM

If you see locals on the beach, its during a Sat or Sun, up around 45th to 50th or so. No resorts, just private rentals so the crowds (on the beach) are thinner.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:18 AM

538 posts, read 1,007,390 times
Locals use a toothbrush, the rest of us use a teethbrush. :P

Old 09-10-2013, 12:47 PM

747 posts, read 1,681,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
believe it or not, its sorta like taking it for granted or having it and not knowing it. For locals, its not a vacation, its a life. gotta work, go to school, whatever. Its not a vacation. and would you be amongst a lot of strangers ever day if you had the choice ?
Well we work too, but I see nothing wrong with enjoying the things around you in your free time. To me it's pointless to try to section yourself off from strangers or tourists because they are every where all the time. On the roads, in walmart, in the pig and so on. Tourists it seems is just a part of. Daily life here. Again if you don't like it, why live in or around myrtle? I knew for the most part what we was getting into before we got here, I knew tourism was bad. I actually don't mind it, in fact I embrace it. I love the big town feel I get. I hate small towns with a passion and would rather. Be around a ton of strangers and have no one know me. I'm not really that social so it meets my needs perfectly. Say hi and bye and go on your way and never see them again. I embrace the beach life and all it has to offer me. I don't plan to hide cause of tourists, I came to have a better life and enjoy myself in my free time.

Sorry about typos I'm on my phone.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:38 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,773,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC here I come View Post
Locals use a toothbrush, the rest of us use a teethbrush. :P
Oh, I dont want to moderate this thread but just by the title it looks like trouble brewing.

I'm sorry but I'm crying lol right now. I didnt even get it for a second but thank you for cracking me up, I needed it. I'm sure ppl are going to get twisted but it's just a joke, hopefully they get that.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:43 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,773,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Well we work too, but I see nothing wrong with enjoying the things around you in your free time. To me it's pointless to try to section yourself off from strangers or tourists because they are every where all the time. On the roads, in walmart, in the pig and so on. Tourists it seems is just a part of. Daily life here. Again if you don't like it, why live in or around myrtle? I knew for the most part what we was getting into before we got here, I knew tourism was bad. I actually don't mind it, in fact I embrace it. I love the big town feel I get. I hate small towns with a passion and would rather. Be around a ton of strangers and have no one know me. I'm not really that social so it meets my needs perfectly. Say hi and bye and go on your way and never see them again. I embrace the beach life and all it has to offer me. I don't plan to hide cause of tourists, I came to have a better life and enjoy myself in my free time.

Sorry about typos I'm on my phone.
Just a quick comment on this, I have lived down the Jersey Shore many yrs and now have lived here since 2007, so I'm used to living near the beach and also a tourist area. I am a beach person but some people just don't like the beach but they were born here or raised here, that doesnt mean they automatically like the beach. As far as why dont they just move, thats kind of unfair because not everyone can afford to pack up and just go anywhere. When you live around tourists it's not the same at all as being a tourist on vacation. Just because ppl stay here but dont go to the beach doesnt mean they don't love it here also.

Oh, and don't worry about typos. We are not the grammar police. : )

Old 09-10-2013, 03:49 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,088 times
I'ved lived here for a little over 4 years now (YAY!) and I go to the beach almost every single day, however I don't have much of a tan at all. I don't wear any sunscreen, don't believe it's good for you, but my skin just doesn't really tan or burn. I do know a lot of people who live here year round and hardly ever go to the beach. Not sure why. I love the beach.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Just a quick comment on this, I have lived down the Jersey Shore many yrs and now have lived here since 2007, so I'm used to living near the beach and also a tourist area. I am a beach person but some people just don't like the beach but they were born here or raised here, that doesnt mean they automatically like the beach. As far as why dont they just move, thats kind of unfair because not everyone can afford to pack up and just go anywhere. When you live around tourists it's not the same at all as being a tourist on vacation. Just because ppl stay here but dont go to the beach doesnt mean they don't love it here also.

Oh, and don't worry about typos. We are not the grammar police. : )
thank you. and just cause one lives at the beach doesn't make one a local, you know ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area