Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:20 PM

24 posts, read 58,825 times

Advertisements

YEA! Some of them Jersey guys are somethin' else huh? )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 08:28 AM

362 posts, read 1,504,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassb View Post
I moved here in Oct. BIG MISTAKE. Don't get me wrong I love the ocean but that only go so far. Jobs here like every where are bad. No real work with good pay. Constuction trades are 10.00 per hour. Most work around here are 7 to 9 dollars an hour. Rent is unreasonable here. A 2 room, not bedrooms, is 550 a month. Food and clothing are high too. I came from Ohio and it is double the cost to live here as there. The propery tax stinks too. You may own your car but you still have to pay property tax every year on it.
Did you think to secure a job BEFORE relocating?

Old 02-14-2009, 08:57 AM

Property taxes ONLY stink compared to what you're use too... get that straight.
Clothing... same. Food... same/cheaper.... movies, drinks, dinner, nightlife... same. Gas... same...
Jobs??? Yes, secure one and most likely be prepared for lower salary.... simple reason, cost of living cheaper. Property taxes are considerably cheaper then most areas. Home values... cheaper then most areas.... so it balances out at the end. Car tax.... based on miles and year of car. No matter where you go, you end up sacrificing more for less or less for more.

Overall picture... there's a reason why people retire from North to South... some people just relocate a lil' earlier thats all...

But definately secure a job....

Old 02-14-2009, 09:29 AM

362 posts, read 1,504,390 times
The price of tags where I come from were over $100 per year. The price of tags here in SC INCLUDING the property tax is less than $50 per year. All 3 of my vehicles are 10 years or older. Coming from the Motor City, I've had the muscle cars, the sports cars, the luxury cars. At this stage of my life, I'm only interested in getting from point A to point B.

The price of a drivers license in Michigan is about $15 for THREE years. It's about the same in SC, however it's good for TEN years. Quite a savings. Insurance on all 3 vehicles is also considerably cheaper here.

Gas is about 20 cents cheaper here than in the north.

If you don't secure a job before relocating, shame on you. Don't blame the local economy for poor planning on your part.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:26 AM

8 posts, read 34,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackers109 View Post
I'm torn between Carolina Forest and Surfside Beach. What is the opinion between the 2 with a daughter entering 11th grade? St. James or Carolina Forest? Of course we'd like to be near the beach since moving to the beach, from Delaware! Thanks.
Please go to Carolina Forest! You will love it there. The old Hard Rock park is opening back up soon. Your teenager will thank you.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:35 AM

Carolina Forest = 501 = parking lot....

find alternate route. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area