Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 06:34 AM

67 posts, read 195,617 times

Advertisements

See? I knew it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 07:00 PM

25 posts, read 52,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post
I have been here since March, moved from NJ. I have had no problems at all with anyone here. Everyone I have come across is very nice. All of my neighbors are from NJ, NY or somewhere else.
I need to find a neighborhood like yours....

Old 02-10-2009, 10:58 PM

24 posts, read 58,820 times
Jersey Transplant... My first experience...... literally the first week I was here. I was tending bar on the beach, a shag bar... my first day @ the job, an older couple comes up to the bar ... and I made the mistake of saying... "What can I getcha's?" Big mistake. "Getchas?, you must not be from here, where YOU from?"
"ummmm, mam' I'm from Jersey...." then she proceeded to slam her hand down on the bar top as hard as she could... and scream...."Another Yankee? What don't yas'all just go back where ya'll came from..." and she walked away.

That was my very first day on the job, 5th day in Myrtle. Thanks for that. 5 years later, I'm still here and happy. I never let that first experience sway me or get the best of me. Yes, I have found that a small percentage of people, in their own minds are still fighting the war. But it is what it is.
Overall, the people are nice.... just like anywhere else, you have a few bad apples here and there.
Being self employed, I have found that some of the natives will stick with natives when it comes to sub'ing work out. I personally don't agree with it... but I can certainly understand and I can't change it. Again, it is what it is.... keep chuggin' along, give respect, "hope' for respect.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:12 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,834,081 times
Quote:
a small percentage of people, in their own minds are still fighting the war...
I keep hearing northern people say this all the time. Things I wonder about:

If the war is over, why do the yankee invasions continue?

If it's because they love the South so much, why do they keep trying to change it to feel so much like their old home? Think they don't? Ask any Southerner who is unfortunate enough to live in a HOA-controlled neighborhood. All of the boards are run by yankees.

Inquiring minds want to know....

Old 02-11-2009, 11:38 AM

215 posts, read 545,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
MY WIFE AND I ARE PLANNING TO MOVE TO MYRTLE BEACH OR THE SURROUNDING AREA (ADVICE ON HOUSES, SOCIAL WORK JOBS FOR CONWAY ANYONE?). I AM A BIT CONCERNED WITH SOME OF THE POSTS I READ THAT SEEM TO PAINT A "US AGAINST THEM" KIND OF MENTALITY WHEN IT COMES TO TOURISTS AND TRANSPLANTS. YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL HOMETOWN AND MUST TAKE PRIDE IN THAT, BUT PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT AS A RESULT PEOPLE WILL WANT TO VISIT/MOVE THERE. WE PLAN TO MOVE THERE, MAKE A CAREER, BUY A HOME AND TRY OUR BEST TO FIT IN, AND I AM JUST A BIT CONCERNED ABOUT ELITISM AND BACKLASH. CAN I BE BLAMED FOR WANTING TO MOVE THERE, AND IS THERE NEED FOR ME TO BE CONCERNED?
As a transplant (which is about 95%) I haven't found that. Lived here going on 16 years.

I think if you're a sourpuss you would think that and if you are friendly then you will love it.

David

Old 02-11-2009, 01:11 PM

24 posts, read 58,820 times
Quote:
Ask any Southerner who is unfortunate enough to live in a HOA-controlled neighborhood. All of the boards are run by yankees.
LOL... dunno. I was introduced to the HOA 'thing' when I moved down here. Up north, we never had em'.... @ least I don't recall any in South Jersey.

HOA's imo.... nothing more then a board of a few peeps on a powerkick looking to be heard and obeyed.

As far as yanks trying to change things??? Hmmm... possibly, or more possibly they're set in their ways in the sense of... "Being use to something" and not quite grasping 'change' yet. Somethings may have run more efficient up there as opposed to down here.... as well, as, somethings may run more smoothly down here rather then up there.

I have always heard that Northerners are "rude"... sometimes I think that's a misconception... I've always felt it's not 'rude'.. but rather "impatient". Most northerners are on the go with a fast paced lifestyle... "Go Go Go, Get outta' my way, get it done NOW, get it done right attitude ... and as we all know... South = slow paced, laid back lifestyle. So of course, when you mix the two, there's a chance there might be some friction.

My first experience ... being called a Yankee and being asked to "Go the hell back home" wouldn't,didn't and will never reflect the way I feel about people as whole, regardless of where they're from. Right now, this is my home, I love my neighbors, I love my locals, I love my tourists... could definately use some more 30-35 year old single ladies though. )

Regardless....North, South, East, West... we're ALL AMERICANS..... "Can't we all just get along?"

Old 02-11-2009, 01:51 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,085,159 times
My wife and I live in AL, and she is originally from Jersey. She has not ever had a rude or negative experience here, just the occasional "inquiring minds want to know". The reason I started this thread some time back was due to my surprise that so many threads seemed to reflect a sentiment of resentment toward people from the north. To me that is surprising, since it seems to be prejudiced behavior based on the nit-pickiest of the nit-picky. I understand that it can be like this with other states as well, particularly those that are a bit touristy, but the SC forum is the only one where I have observed this scale of hostility. Many of the other southern states don't really care, and many of the northern states don't really seem to care if you are a southern transplant. It is also interesting how many southerners consider somebody a northerner when they are actually midwestern, and how many northerners consider somebody midwestern when they are actually southern. What's to become of the poor westerners. Where do they fit in on the hostility chart? Maybe there aren't too many people from Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, California, and the like moving to SC. Or are they just more under the radar? Can you think of some ridiculous reason to hate them too, like "damn cowbows", or "damn you and your arid climates and lizards".

Old 02-11-2009, 03:59 PM

272 posts, read 730,870 times
I wouldn't expect you to experience hostility for being from somewhere else.

What is more likely, and I share in this too, is that we sure miss the way it was before SO MANY people moved to MB and surroundings. The "attractions" and condos and outlet malls have just about completely ruined a beautiful place.

But this should not be construed as being directed toward any individuals. I would want to come here too.

If it could be the way it was.

Last edited by swampwolf; 02-11-2009 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 02-13-2009, 10:54 AM

543 posts, read 2,365,726 times
PVJD,

This is not a personal attack against you. However, I have to say - you get what you give.

It is a tad bit irritating that you would assume that those of us from the south do not know the difference between people from the north and midwest.

I have to say - I had a gentleman from New Jersey to fix my computer the other day at work and he was a very nice gentleman. Not everyone is against everyone and not everyone has a bad attitude.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:39 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,085,159 times
I think you might be assuming that I am saying something that I'm not. I don't think that people in the south don't know their geography. That was a lighthearted comment based on a few experiences I have had. My mother is from Chicago, and I have several people make the Yankee assumption. My post was a bit sarcastic, but not meant to offend. I just wanted people to think, so I am glad you responded since you are obviously thinking about it. I am not putting down anybody in the south because I am from the south, born and raised in Birmingham, AL. My statements regarding the n. vs. s. thing is based on opinions and statements that I have read that are taken directly from this forum. It has nothing to do with personal bias, or personal opinion. I do not mean for anything I say to be taken out of context or generalized, so please do not take it that way. I mean no harm, and am very non-judgmental. If I were judgmental then maybe I would not care about regional bashing, but my personal ethics prevent me from not speaking out when I see injustice. I hear a lot of people saying that they are tired of people thinking that SC is...insert negative stereotype here. However, I rarely hear people address the real problem--people that perpetuate the negative stereotypes, and give outsiders the negative impression.

Last edited by pvjd; 02-13-2009 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area