Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 03:06 PM

245 posts, read 496,546 times

Advertisements

I haven't moved down yet so I'm wondering anyone know the % of native South Carolina vs transplants?

To the transplants what was the best and worst/hardest things to get use to.

Also transplants where did you move from?

Btw we'll be coming from Long Island NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 03:25 PM

790 posts, read 1,630,613 times
Don't know the official % but it's highly unusual to run into someone who is native to Myrtle Beach. There are a fair number of folks from other parts of SC who live here but not a great % of the overall total population. Almost everyone I meet is from somewhere else.

We moved here from CT. Hardest things to get used to...lower quality and higher prices for vegetables (we eat a lot of veggies), and generally slightly higher prices for food at grocery stores. We are originally from the mid-Atlantic states (before we moved to CT) so some things that native New Englanders would have trouble getting used to did not bother us...less hectic pace which also translates to driving speed and speed at the cash registers, people who will talk to perfect strangers (in NE, you don't even look someone in the eye when walking down the street), lack of emphasis on recycling (although that's picking up), some services that are paid for by taxes in NE that you have to pay for yourself here such as trash pickup (but that's more than offset by the lower taxes), not as many public parks, and the extended heat....think about the hottest/muggiest week of summer in LI and imagine that for 3 months...that's summer in SC.

I don't want to paint a bad picture of MB but you asked for the things hardest to get used to. We absolutely love it here and would not move back to CT by choice. There are many more good things about living here than bad. But, folks moving from the northeast should come with a positive, flexible attitude. We shouldn't move here thinking that it will or should be the same as where we moved from. Adapt to the culture and lifestyle and enjoy.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:41 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,842,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
...We shouldn't move here thinking that it will or should be the same as where we moved from.
^^^ What he said. ^^^ Should be emblazoned on the Welcome Center walls.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:13 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,713,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarag View Post
I haven't moved down yet so I'm wondering anyone know the % of native South Carolina vs transplants?

To the transplants what was the best and worst/hardest things to get use to.

Also transplants where did you move from?

Btw we'll be coming from Long Island NY.
I really don't know the percentage. I can say to us it feels 50/50. You wouldn't have any problem meeting up with native New Yorkers at all. There are many people here from NJ and NY.

The friendliness was the best thing. Southern people are more slow, and relaxed, and take the time to talk with you. They are a sweet bunch.

I also like the longer spring, summer, fall seasons...with a short winter.

Hardest thing to get use to is having so much family up North.

We moved from NJ/PA two years ago in August. We did do winters down here for a number of years.

One thing that came to our attention is that pools stay so warm down here. Back home we prayed for the pool to warm up a bit. It was always quite chilly even in the heart of summer. Its bath water here.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:00 PM

538 posts, read 1,010,914 times
Tarag....what part of the Island are you from?? We're moving down next year from LI. Cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:26 AM

936 posts, read 1,656,374 times
IMO, we refer to the term as 'locals', not natives, and most (all, probably) locals have local spots to shop (including fresh local produce), local routes to travel, and local day to day lives. And I'd say that locals make up to no more than a measly percentage (if you look at census numbers from only 30 or 40 years ago).

Old 02-27-2013, 11:34 AM

312 posts, read 734,367 times
Hi Tarag,

When we moved here in 2003, I believe my husband told me they told him at work it was 52% transplants at that time and now they are telling him from what data they have that they can give him at the county it is more like 57%...so yes it has climbed a bit....I think though they were referring to ones that live here all the time.....not snowbirds, second home owners, etc.............

There are/were many things I am still adjusting to/getting used to.....I would have to say that I have a hard time with just how humid, hot and long the summers really are....when one works and has to walk a dog and be out in the heat, it drains you.......versus retirees who can go in and out of the heat at leisure and enjoy the beach and golf courses more........Also, I am sorry but it was a huge adjustment for me coming from an university work setting where everything we had all very progressive and up to date equipment, etc...to here where when I started working, the company was still running Microsoft Office 1995 and Quickbooks 2000........

We are from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania...........

Best of luck!

Old 02-27-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
IMO, we refer to the term as 'locals', not natives, and most (all, probably) locals have local spots to shop (including fresh local produce), local routes to travel, and local day to day lives. And I'd say that locals make up to no more than a measly percentage (if you look at census numbers from only 30 or 40 years ago).
The percentages changed from just ten years ago. When I use to come in the winters only there was hardly a soul around in the winter. Myrtle Beach was like Wildwood, NJ. in winter, a ghost town.
Now, we have way more traffic and amounts of people who are here. The numbers climbed in the past ten years. Times have changed, but I will always admire and have great feelings towards the locals here.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:33 PM

245 posts, read 496,546 times
Burr no offense meant I couldn't think of a better word.

Summering are plan is similar to how you did your move. Snowbird for a few winter then the permanent move when our kids are done with college.

SC here I come I grow up in Valley Stream and now live in Islip. Where are you from.

Thank you all for your information.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarag View Post
Burr no offense meant I couldn't think of a better word.

Summering are plan is similar to how you did your move. Snowbird for a few winter then the permanent move when our kids are done with college.

SC here I come I grow up in Valley Stream and now live in Islip. Where are you from.

Thank you all for your information.
I grew up in Denville,NJ, about 45 minutes from New York, but another World in itself.
We then lived in North Jersey, later living over the border in PA.
Winters were a big issue. When "snowbirding" we met a bunch of wonderful people from many states.
We are all still friends now. In fact tonight a bunch of us are having dinner out together.
It is so easy to keep busy here, something we love about this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area