Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 05:52 AM

45 posts, read 78,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
That's the other thing also,people need not be rude to get their point across.
True, but that is usually the case. I am guilty of it myself at time I guess. Sometimes it just feels good to tell someone off after they come at you with a nasty comment.

For instance....One day in the middle of July (felt like 120 outside) I was at Walmart, (first mistake) putting my groceries in the car. I am 9 months pregnant here too so I am moving a bit slower. Sweating like crazy, lifting heavy things....you name it. I thought I was going to give birth right there next to the cart return!

Someone rolls up and asks me "How MUCH longer are you going to be....we ARE WAITING for that space!" Before I even knew it I came out with "About as long as it takes for YOU to go **** yourself". It was like I was out of my body! See, I am guilty of it to, but they were asking for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 08:07 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,086,375 times
I think sometimes people forget how easy it is to give a bad impression, or to be misunderstood. I think so much of how people read into each other's communication has to do with nonverbal cues, like body posture, pitch or tone, facial expressions, eye contact, etc. Sometimes it is a cultural difference, sometimes it is a personal difference. I don't know, sometimes maybe it's a sense of entitlement that makes us especially sensitive to being offended, kind of a "I demand satisfaction, how dare you treat me like this, do you know who I am, etc...". Plus when you are in a touristy area and on vacation, the locals might be irritated and impatient by the encroachment and the vacationers might have high expectations of a dream vacation and want to be catered to. Possibly in a different environment things might be seen in a different light and behaviors would be different. Everyone has something redeemable in them.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:16 AM

I think some people are just A**holes, but you are right, there is something to be said for living in a coastal town with LOTS of tourists. I know because I do, but I try to be polite because afterall, they are bringing money to my community.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:31 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,487,074 times
I found a website that's appropriate for this thread-
MySpace.com - Charleston, SC - 103 - Female - CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA - www.myspace.com/charlestonsc

I wanted to join but then I saw they wrote this-

"Who I'd like to meet:

Who would I like to meet? All of my lovely Charlestonians, that's who. This is your space. Use it, enjoy it! However, if you are another city's myspace page, Charleston does not want to be your friend. If you do not live in Charleston, Charleston does not want to be your friend. If you are a band not based in the city of Charleston...(that's right)Charleston does not want to be your friend. This page is for the City of Charleston and her citizens... Nobody else. This page is definitely not to attract visitors to our lovely city, because...well... WE HAVE ENOUGH! Ahh, ain't Charleston Grand!
Please note:Your add request will not be accepted unless you are from Charleston or live in charleston..."

Is this the overall attitude there?

Old 10-26-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I found a website that's appropriate for this thread-
MySpace.com - Charleston, SC - 103 - Female - CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA - www.myspace.com/charlestonsc

I wanted to join but then I saw they wrote this-

"Who I'd like to meet:

Who would I like to meet? All of my lovely Charlestonians, that's who. This is your space. Use it, enjoy it! However, if you are another city's myspace page, Charleston does not want to be your friend. If you do not live in Charleston, Charleston does not want to be your friend. If you are a band not based in the city of Charleston...(that's right)Charleston does not want to be your friend. This page is for the City of Charleston and her citizens... Nobody else. This page is definitely not to attract visitors to our lovely city, because...well... WE HAVE ENOUGH! Ahh, ain't Charleston Grand!
Please note:Your add request will not be accepted unless you are from Charleston or live in charleston..."

Is this the overall attitude there?
Not sure, I don't live in Charleston, I am in Pawleys Island about 25 miles south of Myrtle Beach, (70 miles to Charleston) but I have been to Charleston and while it is beautiful in some places, it is crowded and hard to get around in many places. I did not really enjoy it there but I cannot say that there was a neg. attitude. I bet these people are the exception to the rule. It seems like if there is a group that makes a place look bad they are the first ones to set up a site on the internet!

God bless the web............LOL

Old 10-26-2007, 01:47 PM

330 posts, read 1,198,461 times
I live in Summerville but spend a good amount of time in Charleston restaurants and shop at many of the wonderful boutique stores that line the streets of the downtown area, especially East Bay and King Streets. It's a beautiful city full of historic architecture and beautiful scenery. And a casual walk downtown, around noon, is one of my favorite things to do.

I have never had anyone call me a Yankee, I have never had anyone tell me to go home and I have never had anyone act rudely to me while I was there. Quite the opposite. I have been treated wonderfully by everyone I came into contact there and if they did harbor any ill feelings toward me or any other "Yankees" that have moved into the area, they have not spoken outwardly about them.

I won't say that everyone is thrilled about the amount of people moving into the area, but they are not shouting out at anyone to go home in public. Maybe some use the internet to voice their opinions anonymously and we all know we can be more vocal and express ourselves more passionately behind a screen name or website.

But it is NOT the overall attitude here.

Now if you come down here and complain about everything and/or act as if YOUR needs come before anyone else's (as we in the North are prone to do), you may not be treated as nicely. Expect to wait your turn quietly, don't get upset when you have to wait because those in front of you are having a conversation with the valet/receptionist/bank teller/supermarket check-out person/gas attendant/etc.. People are friendly down here and are NOT in a rush to get everything done as quickly as we are used to up north. Yelling, complaining, acting selfishly and rude will NOT get you what you want here.

This is NOT the north, folks. This is the south, the DEEP south! Please remember to acclimate yourself to the southern ways of doing things and remember to leave behind the "rat race" mentality. You won't be happy here if you want everything in your life to remain the same yet move here to save money on your property taxes or buy a cheaper home. You have to remember things are done differently and you will have to adjust accordingly.

A smile and a friendly hello will go a long way.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:58 PM

I keep trying to get my husband to understand that, but he is always in a hurry and has the worst "road rage" LOL he IS from MASS. though.............LOL

Old 10-26-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperieux View Post
Now if you come down here and complain about everything and/or act as if YOUR needs come before anyone else's (as we in the North are prone to do), you may not be treated as nicely. Expect to wait your turn quietly, don't get upset when you have to wait because those in front of you are having a conversation with the valet/receptionist/bank teller/supermarket check-out person/gas attendant/etc.. People are friendly down here and are NOT in a rush to get everything done as quickly as we are used to up north. Yelling, complaining, acting selfishly and rude will NOT get you what you want here.

This is NOT the north, folks. This is the south, the DEEP south! Please remember to acclimate yourself to the southern ways of doing things and remember to leave behind the "rat race" mentality. You won't be happy here if you want everything in your life to remain the same yet move here to save money on your property taxes or buy a cheaper home. You have to remember things are done differently and you will have to adjust accordingly.
That's what I experienced when I moved to Roanoke VA. I went there doing as the romans do and respecting their culture and I did fine. Matter of fact I made more friends there in 2 years than most of my life in NJ!

Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin'Pawleys View Post
I keep trying to get my husband to understand that, but he is always in a hurry and has the worst "road rage" LOL he IS from MASS. though.............LOL
Oh no a 'M@sshole'
I was looking for a summer place up in that area but I've heard alot about the rude people,drivers etc. It would just be like 'Philly north' to me,except cooler summers maybe?
Maine was my first choice.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:26 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,086,375 times
I Love Cottage Cheese!

Last edited by pvjd; 10-26-2007 at 03:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area