Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 10:03 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
I think one of the biggest misconceptions is how friendly the people in the south are supposed to be. Southerner's are just as rude and inconsiderate as anyone from "Brooklyn, Boston, or Baltimore".
Yes but that tends to be the exception more than the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 10:41 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,679,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Probably because most of the people that live in Myrtle Beach moved there from the New England area or Ohio

JK, sort of, but I wish you had a more enjoyable experience. I've never had a bad experience in MB.
The people from Ohio are moving to Charleston/Mt.Pleasant/Summerville/James Island & Goose Creek. lol

I have visited MB many, many times and so far I haven't come across any rude people. I guess I just know when to visit.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:11 PM

330 posts, read 1,196,622 times
Hey you're all insulting a former Philadelphian here!

Just kidding, I can't really defend myself because most of what was said about Philadelphians (and a lot of northerners) is true. And yes, up north we can be rude and pushy and expect instant gratification, but as one poster said, it's dog eat dog and you have to FIGHT for everything, or you will be pushed around and/or taken advantage of. It's basic survival, making money to pay that high mortgage and those crazy property taxes and doing whatever you can to get your child into a highly rated pre-school so they will be accepted into a highly rated elementary and then a highly rated junior high and so on and so on..the race is on and it never stops.

That said, we did pull ourselves out of that rat race and have relocated to Summerville, and we are as happy and nice as can be. I am no longer irritated at the convenience store clerk who just insulted me, I'm not on the phone with the utility company's billing department (who greatly overcharged me) who was annoyed that I wanted my refund, my husband's not fighting his way through rush hour traffic only to work for 8 hours and then fight his way through it again. Now we're friendly, polite and most of all, calm. My husband says he feels as though he is on vacation every day here.

My family and I love the south and Charleston and Summerville and we have chosen to leave our rude habits behind and acclimate ourselves to the southern way of life. We DO believe that living here will add 10 years to our life span. And we have no plans to go back to the north, ever again.

(Except maybe to shop in Manhattan at Christmas time.. hehe)

StuckPa... I lived in the Gloucester Twp area in South Jersey before I sold my last home in Northern Liberties, Philadelphia. It sounds like I lived in your vicinity and I feel your pain! Looking forward to the day you can pack everything up and join us here.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:37 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperieux View Post
StuckPa... I lived in the Gloucester Twp area in South Jersey before I sold my last home in Northern Liberties, Philadelphia. It sounds like I lived in your vicinity and I feel your pain! Looking forward to the day you can pack everything up and join us here.
You're making me envious! I can almost taste the way it used to be in the just couple years that I lived in VA.
As far as 'feeling my pain',I just moved from 'south philly' to the Bridesburg neighborhood,and I'm not sure exactly how it is in Northern Liberties but to me it's all the same ball of crap!

Old 10-14-2007, 11:58 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,081,565 times
I agree with sandlapper. I used to live in New England, and my wife is from Jersey. Trust me, rudeness is by no means a regional thing. However, I am from AL (which is where we both live now), and we want to move to South Carolina. May I make a suggestion--A lot of people seem to speak negatively of tourists and transplants, and I understand part of the frustration, but you should be proud to live in an area that is so greatly admired. Can you blame somebody for wanting to move to MB or Charleston? It's quite gorgeous, from what I understand. We hope to move there, and I am looking into the MB, Conway, or one of the surrounding areas (anyone know of local social work agencies?), and I can only pray and hope that we don't come up against too many elitist "us against them" people, because that really isn't how I want to spend my time. I would much rather concern myself with the important things, like my career, family and home, as well as being a contributing South Carolina citizen, tourists or no tourists.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:52 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
We visited MB this summer. We had the opportunity to take two weeks and travel the SC coast, GA coast and end up in St Augustine, Fl (skipped over Hilton Head on this trip as we have previously spent a whole week there a few years ago and loved it). There are super nice people and rude people EVERYWHERE! I am a Native Dallasite (a VERY rare breed nowadays ) and know what it is like to live somewhere that has been flooded w/ transplants. I feel their pain about the ones that are truly rude, arrogant and think their way is THE BEST way no matter what. I've also meet some great people from other places. I LOVE to travel and see other places and eat the local flavors. Needless to say I was in hog heaven on this trip and probably gained 20 lbs from drinking the most wonderful sweet tea morning, noon & night. I LOVE SWEET TEA!

From my visiting with others at the pool and beach were we stayed in N. Myrtle Beach was many come from the north and have for years and stay weeks or months at a time. Some were very nice while others you could tell were totally unapproachable. I like to find the people that are long time locals or visit a place often to find the off the beaten path places to eat. We avoid chains like the plague and go for the hole in the wall type places. Found two thanks to the front desk clerk and another guest: Duffy's on Main and Boulevard Grill on S. Ocean. The second one cracked us up as here in most of Texas there are smoking ordinances. They were smoking while filling your glass back up w/ sweet tea, lol. Tables of locals that come and just pop in to meet up at anytime - those are the places WE LOVE! Did not realize they are two seperate places but really liked staying in N. MB as a family and away from all of the touristy stuff for the most part.

I would go nuts living somewhere that had that many tourists flood the place - yikes! We cracked up every time we passed the turn in to that new development w/ Joe's Crab Shack, other chain restaurants and mall. People lined up for blocks to get in there to eat stuff they can get anywhere else in the country, lol.

Overall most people were friendly but we could notice a huge influx of people from the northeast everywhere we traveled. The one place that had MB beat was St Augustine, Fl and even Charleston, SC has MB beat I'd say in that department. St Augustine is where we did run into the rudest people. They were HORRIBLE!!!! OMYGOSH! It also cracked me up to hear a NJ accent saying "sweet tea" from the wait staff, lol. They did have the rudest people around by far though.

BTW, my dh was born in Birmingham and I'm more "southern" than he is.

I have to ask the SC locals though: While we were there they had in the news a story about a young school coach that had cancer. He was married w/ small children. How is he doing?

Old 10-17-2007, 05:20 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
Hey Mom, was it Duffy's on Main Street or was it Flynn's?

Flynn's has been the closest thing I've to a genuine Irish Pub since I've moved down here. Good pub food & they have good Irish music on occasion too.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:52 AM

45 posts, read 77,969 times
I think there are rude people everywhere you go, but if you ran into a lot in Myrtle Beach, you might have been talking to other tourists. There is a good chance the people you met were not even form here but moved here from somewhere else (possibly from the North.)

If you want to experience nice, friendly, laid back people, head south away from the traffic and rudeness (rudeness could be caused by traffic and crowded conditions depending on the time of year) and come to Litchfield or Pawleys Island Beach. The beaches are beautiful and the folks here are extra nice!

Old 10-23-2007, 06:42 AM

9 posts, read 33,520 times
Most of the people who live on the coast now are not from the south they are all transplants from the NOrth it seems...sorry you had a bad time.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:46 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypress View Post
Most of the people who live on the coast now are not from the south they are all transplants from the NOrth it seems...sorry you had a bad time.

That is the truth. The first few hours I was in Myrtle Beach I could tell everyone was from the North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area