Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:34 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello47 View Post
Sorry, Im not trying to offend anyone that lives in SC, but there were so many rude people in Myrtle beach, is there a reason
for this?
I agree with you, I think Myrtle Beach does have an unusually large amount of rude people. Tourists are just rude in general, and Myrtle Beach is a tourist town. Every year, 10 million people visit a place that only has 300,000 people.

So when evaluating Myrtle Beach, you have to compare apples to apples. Compare it to Panama City Beach, Miami Beach, Daytona Beach, Virginia Beach, Key West, South Padre Island, Cancun - don't compare it to a "normal" city, because Myrtle Beach is not normal.

Quote:
I have read on here several others have said the same thing. Is it possible they dont want people moving there? We went to look for a house there but considering other areas beacuse everyone was so rude....I thought the south was suppost to be friendly? What is going on there...
When people move to South Carolina, sometimes they bring attitudes that were considered "normal" where they used to live. That's what's been happening at the beach, where Horry County's population went from 70,000 people in 1970 to 230,000 people today. I don't have the statistics, but I'd bet that the majority of those new people were not born in South Carolina. A lot of them moved to Myrtle Beach for no other reason than the beach, and some of them actually dislike southerners' politeness.

Last edited by anonymous; 10-12-2007 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 10:40 AM

55 posts, read 735,735 times
That makes a lot of sense. Your right, its probably because its a tourist area. thanks

Old 10-12-2007, 11:05 AM

543 posts, read 2,364,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello47 View Post
That makes a lot of sense. Your right, its probably because its a tourist area. thanks
Yes, it is a tourist area. And you can tell the natives to here more so than you can the tourist. We are nice and polite, always. Of course when someone gives me attitude, I give it right back to them. In a sarcastic way though.

Try not to let their attitude deter you from moving here.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:13 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
There are rude people everywhere and MB is no exception. Since I've moved here I haven't run into any except on the road driving but they usually have NC plates. (no offense)

Old 10-12-2007, 02:55 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,598 times
I haven't been to MB, but am excited to visit. Based on the interests and lifestyle that my wife and share, we have anticipated possibly moving there or in the surrounding area. All the talk of rudeness could be high expectations, though. Not everyone in a geographic location is going to behave the same way. I hope we don't get jaded when we visit, as we have heard many nice things.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:59 PM

153 posts, read 715,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Probably because most of the people that live in Myrtle Beach moved there from the New England area or Ohio

JK, sort of, but I wish you had a more enjoyable experience. I've never had a bad experience in MB.
haha, I was going to say because of all the yankees that are living there now. But I would expect that its more tourists that are rude than people who live there. I've never had many problems with people ride people in MB.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:40 PM

882 posts, read 3,537,892 times
Anonymous:
We have over 14 million visitors a year..

At any rate, Hello47:
Sorry to hear you met rude folks, but I can assure you that, for the most part, the folks you will run into in MB are generally nice folks. The fact is that most of the people you come into contact with are NOT locals in that they were not born and raised here. There are people from ALL OVER here. Myrtle Beach is a huge melting pot and like others have stated, people tend to bring their own 'dispositions' with them.

In true southern fashion, I hope that the majority of folks who move here accept and appreciate the way we live here. If not, there are MANY, MANY other towns they are welcome to move to...

I have noticed that, since I've lived here (15 years), so many tourists have soo much planned in their day, that they are always in 'RUSH MODE' and once one thing upsets the apple cart, the day, and their attitude, is ruined. This, in effect, spills over into the local labor force, unfortunately.

By and large, you should come into many more friendly encounters than not while you're here. Rest assured that I will always be the stranger who says "hey" or "how ya doin?" when I see you in the store.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:02 AM

30 posts, read 123,158 times
rrufast; I agree with you When in Rome...(smile)

My babies and I visit very often (fortunate to be able), we have friends (transplants) that live there. I have to put my two cents in here. Everytime I visit I have never run into anyone outright rude. Quite the opposite

Yes, there are many transplants in MB, however, I think any 'attitude' comes from the unfortunate fact that original 'northerners' HAVE/HAD to be in survival mode in order to well, survive back north. (dog eat dog world up north, it's a huge chess game 24/7) This is the HUGE difference between the north and south. IF, and I say IF, southerners are not as nice as they seem, then, they are extremely well at hiding it, or, they just handle things in a passive aggressive way (which I have NOT seen at all with my lengthy stays). I have to say that northerners (I don't think for the most part) actually realize how rude they have grown to be. Practically a different culture for them.

Northerners, especially those from NY (I have lived there), ARE for the most part, most definately rude, pushy, very blunt and very harried at the expense of being kind, patient, rational and moral. Not all NY'ers are like this but, most are. It is true, if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere. Just MY opinion having lived in a few states in my time. I have to say MB and the south in general, I absolutely love. I like the patient, talkative, kind word from people that ask 'how are you' with a smile and actually wait for a response! Unlike the north.

People from the north expect instant gratification, that's what their programmed to expect. Faster, smarter, better, bigger, never fast enough and never good enough. All at the expense of both parents working and families breaking down. I for one don't see the purpose at the expense of my kids, family etc.

No, you can't expect to make the money you make up north, BUT, housing, taxes and the like are extremely low in comparision and anyone with time could sit down and put pen to paper and see it in black and white. No, you can't expect the fast pace that's up north BUT, you will live longer (smile). It's what you make of it.

Too all Southerners-->Thank you for your southern hospitalitiy and to all the Norhterners->Enjoy the sun, warmth, water, people and slow down and actually soak it all up. It really is a beautiful place--just breath and then, exhale (smile). To my fellow northerners up there-It does take some getting used to people actually talking to you and not wanting anything from you (chuckle)...

Old 10-13-2007, 08:18 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tWaitToMove View Post

Yes, there are many transplants in MB, however, I think any 'attitude' comes from the unfortunate fact that original 'northerners' HAVE/HAD to be in survival mode in order to well, survive back north. (dog eat dog world up north, it's a huge chess game 24/7) This is the HUGE difference between the north and south. I have to say that northerners (I don't think for the most part) actually realize how rude they have grown to be.
Northerners, especially those from NY (I have lived there), ARE for the most part, most definately rude, pushy, very blunt and very harried at the expense of being kind, patient, rational and moral.
People from the north expect instant gratification, that's what their programmed to expect. Faster, smarter, better, bigger, never fast enough and never good enough. All at the expense of both parents working and families breaking down. I for one don't see the purpose at the expense of my kids, family etc.

No, you can't expect to make the money you make up north, BUT, housing, taxes and the like are extremely low in comparision and anyone with time could sit down and put pen to paper and see it in black and white. No, you can't expect the fast pace that's up north BUT, you will live longer (smile). It's what you make of it.

Too all Southerners-->Thank you for your southern hospitalitiy and to all the Norhterners->Enjoy the sun, warmth, water, people and slow down and actually soak it all up. It really is a beautiful place--just breath and then, exhale (smile).
That in a nutshell is exactly why I want to get out of the north once and for all! Once you've had a taste of the good life down south
They're too carnal up north I and want no part of it. It's just what your priorities are I suppose.
And in true northern fashion,I'm sure that some would try to argue 'facts' about actually living longer in the south vs north. Compare as they may,death is alot more painful up north
So until I can get out I must always try to remember 'I'm in the north but I'm not going to let it get in me!'

Last edited by StuckPA; 10-13-2007 at 08:48 AM..

Old 10-13-2007, 09:15 AM

737 posts, read 1,654,613 times
I think one of the biggest misconceptions is how friendly the people in the south are supposed to be. Southerner's are just as rude and inconsiderate as anyone from "Brooklyn, Boston, or Baltimore". I always have to take a step back when someone visiting the south discusses how friendly it is? Some of the friendlies cities I've been to have been mid-western, and west coast cities.

As for Myrtle its not a typical southern city. It's a tourist town so people are less likely to put on a good face if its not home that would be my guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area