Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 09:26 PM

38 posts, read 55,679 times

Advertisements

Hi. I’m originally from MN but have been living in NJ/NYC suburb for 20 years. My husband is from NYC and agreed years ago that we’d try MN for a better quality of life/less congestion for our kids, but I’m not so sure it’s as safe and nice as it was years ago. I hear about a lot of car jackings and just saw a post tonight about car break ins at all the lifetime fitnesses in nice suburbs. Where we’re moving from I never had anything stolen and basically no crime at all. Pre covid and riots NYC was the safest big city in the nation. I would hate to move to a city that I cannot enjoy a night out with my family. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 08:01 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,015 times
I can see why you would want to move to the Twin Cities, what with the crime you mention where you live and all, it must be unsettling at times, not knowing if and when car break ins, and car jackings going on, I had no idea it was that bad out where you are at. You will really like the Twin Cities. Welcome.

Last edited by demtion35; 03-09-2021 at 08:40 AM..

Old 03-09-2021, 08:09 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
Minneapolis is not in the best shape anymore. The crime has skyrocketed. Don’t know what you are used to but to us it’s awful. Murder rate is up, carjacking and expected protests over the trial is just all combined to making the livability plummet. Do some real research on crime stats before you decide anything.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:59 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,524 times
I'm impressed by everyone's ability to type and clutch their pearls simultaneously

The recent crime increase really isn't all that significant in Mpls. Yes 2020 was up from 2019, but the crime rate was *not* outside of the normal range for the prior 5 year period despite all the hype you may read. And crime is up everywhere nationwide.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:42 AM

441 posts, read 439,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
I'm impressed by everyone's ability to type and clutch their pearls simultaneously

The recent crime increase really isn't all that significant in Mpls. Yes 2020 was up from 2019, but the crime rate was *not* outside of the normal range for the prior 5 year period despite all the hype you may read. And crime is up everywhere nationwide.
I agree and I am sure if I looked to where I live it has increased too. I have noticed an increase in patrols in my area by the Sherriff's.

I heard from a neighbor someone's car was recently broken into. I still consider where I live pretty safe and I am not worried about walking around at night. I would not go walking around certain parts of PDX at night at anytime.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:04 PM

38 posts, read 55,679 times
Are you from Portland? How does it compare to Mpls?

Old 03-25-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsure070 View Post
Are you from Portland? How does it compare to Mpls?
Yes, I am in the suburbs of Portland (Washington County next to Hillsboro.)

The area where I live is very safe. I do not feel fearful or afraid to go outside at night. Certain parts of Portland are good and just like any other large city there are some very bad areas. Gangs and drugs are probably very prevalent. There is this one shopping mall my daughter wants to go to but we will not let her because that whole area has gotten so bad. Crime can happen anyplace even in the upscale areas. A few years ago a neighbor kid OD'ed on drugs and locked himself in his car and was screaming at his mother. I called the police and he screamed at them. They eventually calmed him down. After that he wasn't around anymore.

We have a terrible homeless situation going on. Since we don't get really cold and snowy weather there are camps all over the city.

Traffic is horrible and it takes forever to get anyplace. I'm sure you have that problem. But when we visited a few years ago I don't recall traffic being too bad except when we were in Bloomington near Mall of America. We could not find any hotels in Bloomington that first night. We ended up driving to Roseville.

I found the city of Minneapolis to be quite lovely especially around Lake Calhoun.

I also visited in the winter and got to see both the Golden Gophers and the Wild play. dream come true. Planned on going last year (2020) but I was sick diagnosed with cancer and my doctor didn't want me to leave the area before I had surgery. Of course this year is out do to the pandemic. Maybe next year.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:14 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsure070 View Post
Hi. I’m originally from MN but have been living in NJ/NYC suburb for 20 years. My husband is from NYC and agreed years ago that we’d try MN for a better quality of life/less congestion for our kids, but I’m not so sure it’s as safe and nice as it was years ago. I hear about a lot of car jackings and just saw a post tonight about car break ins at all the lifetime fitnesses in nice suburbs. Where we’re moving from I never had anything stolen and basically no crime at all. Pre covid and riots NYC was the safest big city in the nation. I would hate to move to a city that I cannot enjoy a night out with my family. What are your thoughts?
Well there are kind of two Minnesotas: The Twin Cities, and the rest of the state.

I don't agree with much of Cruz's message around here, but he kind of has a point that violent crime might have actually been worse in the past, and we're just much more aware of it these days because we all have media on us/around us 24-7. Case in point:

https://www.disastercenter.com/crime/mncrime.htm

Considering there was about a million less people in MN 1990s (that's a shocking fact, by the way, that we've added a million people in 30 years), per capita, violent crime was much worse in the 1990s.

Old 05-19-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Well there are kind of two Minnesotas: The Twin Cities, and the rest of the state.

I don't agree with much of Cruz's message around here, but he kind of has a point that violent crime might have actually been worse in the past, and we're just much more aware of it these days because we all have media on us/around us 24-7. Case in point:

https://www.disastercenter.com/crime/mncrime.htm

Considering there was about a million less people in MN 1990s (that's a shocking fact, by the way, that we've added a million people in 30 years), per capita, violent crime was much worse in the 1990s.
absolutely the 24 hour news cycle and social media makes everything worse (in my opinion.)

Remeber when CNN first started? i thought 24 hour news what a dumb idea that is. Wish i would of been the one to come up with it. I did study communications in college.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:35 PM

48 posts, read 24,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
Yes, I am in the suburbs of Portland (Washington County next to Hillsboro.)

The area where I live is very safe. I do not feel fearful or afraid to go outside at night. Certain parts of Portland are good and just like any other large city there are some very bad areas. Gangs and drugs are probably very prevalent. There is this one shopping mall my daughter wants to go to but we will not let her because that whole area has gotten so bad. Crime can happen anyplace even in the upscale areas. A few years ago a neighbor kid OD'ed on drugs and locked himself in his car and was screaming at his mother. I called the police and he screamed at them. They eventually calmed him down. After that he wasn't around anymore.

We have a terrible homeless situation going on. Since we don't get really cold and snowy weather there are camps all over the city.

Traffic is horrible and it takes forever to get anyplace. I'm sure you have that problem. But when we visited a few years ago I don't recall traffic being too bad except when we were in Bloomington near Mall of America. We could not find any hotels in Bloomington that first night. We ended up driving to Roseville.

I found the city of Minneapolis to be quite lovely especially around Lake Calhoun.

I also visited in the winter and got to see both the Golden Gophers and the Wild play. dream come true. Planned on going last year (2020) but I was sick diagnosed with cancer and my doctor didn't want me to leave the area before I had surgery. Of course this year is out do to the pandemic. Maybe next year.
dont let anyone tell u otherwise, move where you want to move, as long as you aint going where you shouldnt go and steer out of them areas, and check your surroundings often, you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota