Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 10:33 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times

Advertisements

The degenerate who just snuffed out the engineering college graduate last weekend should not have been on the streets (was about to stand trial for another shooting):

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/...LpkVUYhAueOxCc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 07:03 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times
After living over 65 years in Minnesota, in the Twin Cities, I see that the crime rate has drastically increased in the past two years. The gunshots occur many times, every day, in Minneapolis and St Paul. The carjackings are way up. The theft in stores is way up. Most of the crime is in the core cities, but the increased crime is spreading out to the suburban areas too. It's not safe to live there, especially in the core cities, because the political and court system people in Minnesota simply do not believe in law and order. They go very easy on the criminals, and the criminals then have free rein to live their lives of crime.

If you're interested in living in a place that believes in law and order, then your only choice is to live in a law and order state, like Florida, Texas, and other law and order states. It's easy to identify the law and order states. If it's a "red state", it's a law and order state. If it's a "blue state" it isn't a law and order state.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:06 AM

542 posts, read 447,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
After living over 65 years in Minnesota, in the Twin Cities, I see that the crime rate has drastically increased in the past two years. The gunshots occur many times, every day, in Minneapolis and St Paul. The carjackings are way up. The theft in stores is way up. Most of the crime is in the core cities, but the increased crime is spreading out to the suburban areas too. It's not safe to live there, especially in the core cities, because the political and court system people in Minnesota simply do not believe in law and order. They go very easy on the criminals, and the criminals then have free rein to live their lives of crime.

If you're interested in living in a place that believes in law and order, then your only choice is to live in a law and order state, like Florida, Texas, and other law and order states. It's easy to identify the law and order states. If it's a "red state", it's a law and order state. If it's a "blue state" it isn't a law and order state.

Those so called law and order states have a much higher murder rate per 100000 (also crime rates like rape, assaults, etc. based on 2019 stats).
States....... Murders per 100,000
Texas..........4.9
Florida........5.2
Minnesota....2.1

If you live in Texas or Florida, it is greater than 2 times more likely you will be murdered. Despite your label, Minnesota is a safer state. Actually, looking at the top 20 states with the lowest murder rates 11 are blue states, 8 are red states and 1 (New Hamshire) is netiher. You are actually better off in a blue state.

This reasoning and arguments will not go well for you if you base it on statistics. You don't live in a law and order state based on your crime rate based reasoning. I get it you moved to Florida and you like it. But the fact is you moved to a state that you are more likely to be murdered. Good luck.

USA today's violent crime rankings by state.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...rate/40968963/

41. Minnesota

• Violent crime rate: 220.4 per 100,000 people

• Total 2018 murders: 106 (19th lowest)

• Imprisonment rate: 249 adults per 100,000 (5th lowest)

• Poverty rate: 9.6% (7th lowest)

• Most dangerous city: Minneapolis

Minnesota has the lowest violent crime rate of any state in the Midwest and the 10th lowest violent crime rate among states. There were 12,369 violent crimes reported in the state in 2018, or 220.4 per 100,000 people – well below the national violent crime rate of 380.6 per 100,000.

As is the case in most states, Minnesota reported a dip in violent crime in the last year. Between 2017 and 2018, the number of violent crimes in the state fell by 7.3%, more than most states and a stronger improvement than the 3% national decline.

NOTE: These stats are based on 2019 (Minnesota murder rate has been fairly consistant over the last 10 years with a slight spike in 2019). Minnesota, Flordia and Texas (and the rest of the country) had an increase in murders in 2020. I couldn't find the 2020 FBI crime states for the states yet. If someone has it post it. HOwever, it's probably best to take a 10 year average vs. one year.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:19 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
Those so called law and order states have a much higher murder rate per 100000 (also crime rates like rape, assaults, etc. based on 2019 stats).
Texas..........4.9
Florida........5.2
Minnesota....2.1

If you live in Texas or Florida, it is greater than 2 times more likely you will be murdered. Despite your label, Minnesota is a safer state. Actually, looking at the top 20 states with the lowest murder rates 11 are blue states, 8 are red states and 1 (New Hamshire) is netiher. You are actually better off in a blue state.

This reasoning and arguments will not go well for you if you base it on statistics. You don't live in a law and order state based on your crime rate based reasoning. I get it you moved to Florida and you like it. But the fact is you moved to a state that you are more likely to be murdered. Good luck.

41. Minnesota

Minnesota has the lowest violent crime rate of any state in the Midwest and the 10th lowest violent crime rate among states. There were 12,369 violent crimes reported in the state in 2018, or 220.4 per 100,000 people – well below the national violent crime rate of 380.6 per 100,000.

As is the case in most states, Minnesota reported a dip in violent crime in the last year. Between 2017 and 2018, the number of violent crimes in the state fell by 7.3%, more than most states and a stronger improvement than the 3% national decline.

NOTE: These stats are based on 2019 (Minnesota murder rate has been fairly consistant over the last 10 years with a slight spike in 2019). Minnesota, Flordia and Texas (and the rest of the country) had an increase in murders in 2020. I couldn't find the 2020 FBI crime states for the states yet. If someone has it post it. HOwever, it's probably best to take a 10 year average vs. one year.
They are also way more diverse than lily-(86%)white MN. There is a massive correlation there.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
Texas..........4.9
Florida........5.2
Minnesota....2.1

41. Minnesota

You're making the assumption that crime is uniform across the entire state. This is not true. There are areas with more crime and areas with less crime. I think if you check states like Florida or Texas, both red states, the crime is the greatest within the blue areas of those red states.

The crime in Minnesota was clear for everyone to see when there was a week of rioting, looting, and arson in the streets. There was either no response, or way too little response from law enforcement. The 5th lowest imprison rate is a bad thing, not a good thing. There should be more people in prison instead of roaming the streets looking for their next victim. That's because the leaders in Minnesota simply do not believe in law and order.

Another example is the recent George Floyd event in Minneapolis, where there were a couple dozen gunshots in the streets. Just drive down the Cedar Riverside area and look at the boarded up store fronts, still boarded up to this day! It looked like a war zone. When I was visiting the Twin Cities are recently, I was tempted to see what the south Minneapolis area looked like recently, but I was too afraid to check out that area, since I could have been shot and killed in the cross fire that frequently occurs in that area.

Last edited by davephan; 05-28-2021 at 08:34 PM..

Old 05-28-2021, 09:08 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
I don't think I've ever agreed with Viking in here, but this is a no brainer. Florida and Texas are obviously conservative bastions, but they are also infested with crime....especially violent crime......and have been for as long as I can remember. I lived in Texas for 10 years, Georgia for 20, and have spent a lot of time in Florida. All those southern states are crime cesspools compared to Minnesota. The Carolinas, Mississippi, Louisiana......yeah, they're bad. I've ranted in here plenty about how piS$ed I am about what's happened to the Twin Cities in particular, but I've been here 4 years now and Minnesota as a whole remains the safest place I've ever lived, hands down......even with the recent unrest. Doesn't mean I'm minimizing or condoning the ridiculousness that our "leaders" in Minn. have allowed to develop and fester here (mainly in the TC's of course), but to imply places like Texas and Florida are actually safer than Minnesota? Sorry, no.....OP totally missed the mark on that.

By the way, OP......you do realize George Floyd wandered up here from - you guessed it - Texas, don't you?

Old 05-29-2021, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I don't think I've ever agreed with Viking in here, but this is a no brainer. Florida and Texas are obviously conservative bastions, but they are also infested with crime....especially violent crime......and have been for as long as I can remember. I lived in Texas for 10 years, Georgia for 20, and have spent a lot of time in Florida. All those southern states are crime cesspools compared to Minnesota. The Carolinas, Mississippi, Louisiana......yeah, they're bad. I've ranted in here plenty about how piS$ed I am about what's happened to the Twin Cities in particular, but I've been here 4 years now and Minnesota as a whole remains the safest place I've ever lived, hands down......even with the recent unrest. Doesn't mean I'm minimizing or condoning the ridiculousness that our "leaders" in Minn. have allowed to develop and fester here (mainly in the TC's of course), but to imply places like Texas and Florida are actually safer than Minnesota? Sorry, no.....OP totally missed the mark on that.

By the way, OP......you do realize George Floyd wandered up here from - you guessed it - Texas, don't you?
George Floyd was a career criminal, not the saint that people pretend he was. Perhaps he moved from Texas to Minnesota, because he knew that Minnesota is weak about law and order. I agree that parts of Florida and Texas have higher crime rates. That’s why there are so many gated communities in Florida and Texas. If you have the financial resources in Florida and Texas, you live in a nicer area, and avoid certain areas that have higher crime rates.

In Florida, periodically there are career criminals in the news that had things like 34 felonies, 18 misdemeanors, and a few times in prison in their lengthy criminal history. Sometimes their criminal history is over 130 pages long, and at that point they are in their 30’s or 40’s. It’s amazing to me that those career criminals are allowed to be walking around, searching for more victims, instead of being locked up for life. The times the criminals are actually caught are just the tip of the iceberg. Most of the time, the criminals get away with their crimes. So, many of the criminals are walking crime sprees. It’s unbelievable that those career criminals are not locked up for life.

Personally, I think three strikes and your out laws need to be passed to lock up the career criminals, and throw away they key. I also think career criminals should be shipped to foreign countries where they would serve their prison sentences in harsh foreign prisons where there is forced hard labor required, every day. If that happened, the cost to house the prisoners would decrease and there would be dramatically less repeat offenders. In some foreign prisons, there’s only about 16 guards for thousands of prisoners. Those 16 guards are spread out between all the shifts, to cover every day. The guards oversee a group of higher level prisoners who very harshly maintain order over the majority of the prisoners. The prisoners who maintain order over the majority of the prisoners get perks that most prisoners don’t receive. The US legal system coddles the criminals and does not allow that type of a prison system to exist in the US, that can exist overseas. It’s totally obvious that the risk and consequences for career criminals in the US is way too low. That’s why there are so many career criminals in the US. If George Floyd had changed his ways, not continues being a career criminal, then that police encounter would never have occurred, and he would still be alive today, unless he was still a illegal drug user, then he could still be dead today from illegal drugs.

Old 05-30-2021, 09:56 PM

441 posts, read 438,867 times
Quote:
George Floyd was a career criminal, not the saint that people pretend he was. Perhaps he moved from Texas to Minnesota, because he knew that Minnesota is weak about law and order. I agree that parts of Florida and Texas have higher crime rates. That’s why there are so many gated communities in Florida and Texas. If you have the financial resources in Florida and Texas, you live in a nicer area, and avoid certain areas that have higher crime rates.

In Florida, periodically there are career criminals in the news that had things like 34 felonies, 18 misdemeanors, and a few times in prison in their lengthy criminal history. Sometimes their criminal history is over 130 pages long, and at that point they are in their 30’s or 40’s. It’s amazing to me that those career criminals are allowed to be walking around, searching for more victims, instead of being locked up for life. The times the criminals are actually caught are just the tip of the iceberg. Most of the time, the criminals get away with their crimes. So, many of the criminals are walking crime sprees. It’s unbelievable that those career criminals are not locked up for life.

Personally, I think three strikes and your out laws need to be passed to lock up the career criminals, and throw away they key. I also think career criminals should be shipped to foreign countries where they would serve their prison sentences in harsh foreign prisons where there is forced hard labor required, every day. If that happened, the cost to house the prisoners would decrease and there would be dramatically less repeat offenders. In some foreign prisons, there’s only about 16 guards for thousands of prisoners. Those 16 guards are spread out between all the shifts, to cover every day. The guards oversee a group of higher level prisoners who very harshly maintain order over the majority of the prisoners. The prisoners who maintain order over the majority of the prisoners get perks that most prisoners don’t receive. The US legal system coddles the criminals and does not allow that type of a prison system to exist in the US, that can exist overseas. It’s totally obvious that the risk and consequences for career criminals in the US is way too low. That’s why there are so many career criminals in the US. If George Floyd had changed his ways, not continues being a career criminal, then that police encounter would never have occurred, and he would still be alive today, unless he was still a illegal drug user, then he could still be dead today from illegal drugs.
you do NOT get to be judge jury an executioner. Does NOT freaking matter if he is a career criminal. cop IS a
racist AND SO IS ANYONE THAT IS ANY WAY OKAY WITH WHAT HAPPENED TO George Floyd.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:17 AM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
the crime rate in 2020 in Minneapolis increased by 20%.

Car jackings now average more than 1 a day.

In 2021, gunshot victims have increased more than 250%.

Robberies are up, more than 10% of the police have quit.

City council wants to name streets after career criminal George Floyd.

Does that sound like a place you want to live?

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/...nshot-victims/

Old 05-31-2021, 10:20 AM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:

back in 1993, Biden's crime bill included that language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota