Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 01:22 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodakb View Post
dont let anyone tell u otherwise, move where you want to move, as long as you aint going where you shouldnt go and steer out of them areas, and check your surroundings often, you'll be fine.

I heard that before....Just before going on patrol in Sadr city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2021, 03:47 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,790 posts, read 4,157,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
you do NOT get to be judge jury an executioner. Does NOT freaking matter if he is a career criminal. cop IS a
racist AND SO IS ANYONE THAT IS ANY WAY OKAY WITH WHAT HAPPENED TO George Floyd.
Geez, lighten up, man. And quit with the all caps. Poster Davephan is a sensible guy who speaks the truth, and you go into meltdown mode.

"Truth is hate to those that hate the truth."

Old 06-09-2021, 02:02 PM

441 posts, read 440,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Geez, lighten up, man. And quit with the all caps. Poster Davephan is a sensible guy who speaks the truth, and you go into meltdown mode.

"Truth is hate to those that hate the truth."
Truth? really He was freaking KILLED by a cop that is the truth anything is irrelevant. You do not get to decide whether he deserved to die because of a racist F-r. He did NOT deserve to die that is the truth and the fact that people try to make him the bad guy is wrong the cop is the Bad guy

You are the ones who cannot handle the truth. But if the shoe was on the other foot and whites were the ones continually being harassed and killed for NO reason I bet you would get f'ing sick and feel like you are being screwed which the African Americans are. I guess people still do not understand EQUAL RIGHTS for all citizens .

Old 06-19-2021, 11:00 PM

385 posts, read 441,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Personally, I think three strikes and your out laws need to be passed to lock up the career criminals, and throw away they key. I also think career criminals should be shipped to foreign countries where they would serve their prison sentences in harsh foreign prisons where there is forced hard labor required, every day. If that happened, the cost to house the prisoners would decrease and there would be dramatically less repeat offenders. In some foreign prisons, there’s only about 16 guards for thousands of prisoners. Those 16 guards are spread out between all the shifts, to cover every day. The guards oversee a group of higher level prisoners who very harshly maintain order over the majority of the prisoners. The prisoners who maintain order over the majority of the prisoners get perks that most prisoners don’t receive. The US legal system coddles the criminals and does not allow that type of a prison system to exist in the US, that can exist overseas. It’s totally obvious that the risk and consequences for career criminals in the US is way too low. That’s why there are so many career criminals in the US. If George Floyd had changed his ways, not continues being a career criminal, then that police encounter would never have occurred, and he would still be alive today, unless he was still a illegal drug user, then he could still be dead today from illegal drugs.

I have served as a juror on 3 strikes cases. There are far too many vets (not just long term criminals) ending up in these cases. Stealing twinkies/chips/sodas to survive their mental health struggle on the streets, and ending up in cases that could send them away for life simply because voters want simple solutions to a complex problem. Not a single one of these case was simple. Gangster or vet. And all got my undivided attention to do the right thing.

We certainly don't need more 3 strikes laws. I wish they actually ensnared ONLY the bad guys, but really our system tends to use these laws against the vulnerable. ALL of the vulnerable.

Anyone with any kind of power gets out of this 3 strokes scenario. Never seen anyone with close family and decent money end up before me as a juror. Not once in my experience. Not in the urban areas. Nope.

That is systemic supremacy at its normal performance. Plenty of studies on that.

My dad's a cop. And a vet. So is my brother. My mom went to law school. I am well aware of the system from the inside.

Generally, if you steer released guys to decent jobs where they aren't extorted by employers gaming the system, they do fine. No need to send them overseas or to unconstitutionally and unamerican-ly exert any additional punishment from them. They tend to know what a lifeline looks like. Those who don't, do languish. No question. They shouldn't have to, but some people get into their own way. Hard to save those guys, but they are the exception to the rule.

The recidivism rate is low when people get a decent shot at a normal life. Again, plenty of studies on that.

None of that mattered though for GF. He was never given the chance to have a court date.

Old 06-20-2021, 06:45 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,094,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naadarien View Post
I have served as a juror on 3 strikes cases. There are far too many vets (not just long term criminals) ending up in these cases. Stealing twinkies/chips/sodas to survive their mental health struggle on the streets, and ending up in cases that could send them away for life simply because voters want simple solutions to a complex problem. Not a single one of these case was simple. Gangster or vet. And all got my undivided attention to do the right thing.

We certainly don't need more 3 strikes laws. I wish they actually ensnared ONLY the bad guys, but really our system tends to use these laws against the vulnerable. ALL of the vulnerable.

Anyone with any kind of power gets out of this 3 strokes scenario. Never seen anyone with close family and decent money end up before me as a juror. Not once in my experience. Not in the urban areas. Nope.

That is systemic supremacy at its normal performance. Plenty of studies on that.

My dad's a cop. And a vet. So is my brother. My mom went to law school. I am well aware of the system from the inside.

Generally, if you steer released guys to decent jobs where they aren't extorted by employers gaming the system, they do fine. No need to send them overseas or to unconstitutionally and unamerican-ly exert any additional punishment from them. They tend to know what a lifeline looks like. Those who don't, do languish. No question. They shouldn't have to, but some people get into their own way. Hard to save those guys, but they are the exception to the rule.

The recidivism rate is low when people get a decent shot at a normal life. Again, plenty of studies on that.

None of that mattered though for GF. He was never given the chance to have a court date.
Apparently there is no room for nuance?

A person with a pill (of whatever sort - which if you don't have a prescription, is a felony) should not be given a felony.

I would settle for a "five strikes" law. At some point, we have to all admit that people like GF (who was 46 and still getting high as a kite - and still committing federal crimes up to the hour he died) simply have no intention of "turning their life around".

Old 06-22-2021, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I would settle for a "five strikes" law. At some point, we have to all admit that people like GF (who was 46 and still getting high as a kite - and still committing federal crimes up to the hour he died) simply have no intention of "turning their life around".

A misdemeanor (passing a counterfeit) wouldn't qualify for a x strikes law either way.

Ticket/summons offenses don't require a death (or life) sentence as punishment.

I would settle for us applying due process laws equally.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:06 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,094,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naadarien View Post
A misdemeanor (passing a counterfeit) wouldn't qualify for a x strikes law either way.

Ticket/summons offenses don't require a death (or life) sentence as punishment.

I would settle for us applying due process laws equally.
More white people are killed by police every year. So, yeah, you are right, they are not being "fair" when administering justice, and maybe they need to get their stuff together.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:19 AM

34,095 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
I'm impressed by everyone's ability to type and clutch their pearls simultaneously ...
Maybe too many have been reading too many of the "Lucas Davenport" novels?

Old 06-23-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
More white people are killed by police every year. So, yeah, you are right, they are not being "fair" when administering justice, and maybe they need to get their stuff together.

Yep...Equality, liberty, justice for all. Glad we agree.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:43 AM

4,363 posts, read 6,535,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Maybe too many have been reading too many of the "Lucas Davenport" novels?
Still waiting on the "Looting Prey" novel. Lucas Davenport's Minnesota was Kiddie Land compared to today's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota