Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 08:37 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmontaq View Post
South Beach was a dump back then. Full of old people and the homeless. Some of which still exists but no one talks about. I went to many of those clubs when I was young. The 80s was a great time for diverse music so I could go from Manhattans, to Fire and Ice, to The Button, to The Slameo err... I mean The Cameo!
yeah whatever. it was a great place to surf on an onshore day. you could watch a spontaneous knife fight on just about any given evening and lastly there was always a place to park.

the seedy south beach was better as was the parking lot sex. YMMV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 03:21 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Ahhhh the good old Liquid days..Such fun back then. Now it sucks

Old 03-29-2013, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 6,648 times
Love this site!!! I used to go to Rick's Bar, Parralel Bar, Zachary's, Manhattan's, Club Oz, Faces in the Grove, even Uncle Charlie's with my good gay friend (great music). Those were the good freestyle years. You guys just took me thru the memory lane. Funny because nobody remembers Zachary's when I ask. Casanova's was awesome too. I dated Eric Thompson from the Miami band Erotic Exotic and knew Manny (manager of Expose). Who remembers One South on US1? Good hang out place. I used to work at the Village Inn in the grove. Thank you guys for posting all these comments

Old 03-31-2013, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,610 times
Default San Francisco Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfljim View Post
can anyone tell me what the name of the bar in Coconut Grove, it was owned by Jan Harold. it was one of the best bars there in the 80s
It was called the San Francisco Club, located just off the Dixie Highway at SW 27th I think. I worked there from it's opening for about a year or so as the doorman and assistant manager. It had a huge wire sculpture of the Golden Gate Bridge hanging from the ceiling, a tiny dance floor, a kick ass sound system, and a winding staircase leading to the restaurant upstairs. It was a smash hit from the first day it opened. I met Jan Harold about two months before he opened the club when he tried to pick me up at 13 Buttons! We ended up sharing a house in Coral Gables. One of his partners was Don Embinder, who ran Blueboy Magazine and a bunch of other popular adult magazines at the time. They eventually had a falling out and the club got closed by the courts I think. Jan later went on to open a bigger place called Cheers in Tampa or Orlando I think. I had a fantastic time working there. IT was one of the nicest gay bars anywhere at the time.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:58 PM

1 posts, read 6,347 times
Default Strawberries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raze23 View Post
Great Post - not ot overlook several of the clubs where the brothas hung out -
(Miami was great in the 80's for all night partying), 119th St. Big Daddy's Lounge, 8600 Big Daddy's Lounge (big shout to "Frank Hollywood"), Pier 17, Climax (before it went to nude dancing), Green's Lounge in Goulds, The Inferno, Troy's, Tomorrow's, The Starlight Ballroom, Sergio's, Nepenthe, Imoja in West Palm.................... The gold coast was bumpin, and I loved spinnin' where ever I could get on at.
big ups for the brothas spots, Strawberries and Big Daddy 8600, Dj Viking & C-Roy the entertainer, reggae nights was doing it..

great thread site!

Old 03-25-2015, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,019 times
uncle charlies , the commodores, fire & ice, salvations, copa, were al so clubs to remember.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 5,918 times
There is no comparing those days with now.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:41 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
I hung out with mainly a rock and roll crowd back in the late 70's/early 80's and one of our go-to places was Ma Grundy's in Doral. Fun times!

Old 06-25-2015, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 5,844 times
Default 80's Twink

I grew up in Miami, and partied there in the 80's. I remember so many places, but the joints we used to frequent the most were Karlamen's(?) on Biscayne and 68th, Uncle Charlie's, Sugars (a fun reliable dump!), and of course the Cactus!
I was a bookstore queen back then...does anyone remember the one on 79th and Biscayne? I was very young and limbr then.
Also, Celebrations in Carol City! Wow!

Old 09-19-2015, 06:57 PM

3 posts, read 9,429 times
My sister was the one that sent me this site, I love it and I thank you all for the postings and the good old days......I miss those days......I wish I was there now.
Does anyone remember Rumrunners?
I think it was in Fort Lauderdale. It was a nice place and pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami