Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 09:17 AM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember the name of the restaurant in South Miami on the north side of Sunset, a little west of Red....they tore it down to build the Bakery Center.
It was a little shotgun hole in the wall....served Southern food.....fried pork chops, meat loaf, mashed potatoes, and greens...banana pudding

We used to eat there...and I can't remember the name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 08:33 PM

3 posts, read 5,745 times
Default South Miami/Kenall in the early 70's

Does anyone remember Chicken Unlimited on Kendall at SW97th. ?

I was the manager there from 72-74 when I left Florida...

Old 09-17-2018, 01:23 AM

72 posts, read 60,159 times
Going back probably 48 years ! Anyone remember Tahiti Beach ? Also Burger King was in a little storefront strip on sw 8st on the north side of road around maybe 60th ave across street from west Miami . Grew quick and then move to 67 th ave and sw 8 st on sw corner .

Anyone remember Pier 8 lounge near 57 th and sw 8st ? I was a 16 year old snot nose kid a group I knew used to own it . Never was the same since ...............

Old 09-17-2018, 07:40 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,413,745 times
I miss the Original Town n' Country Center with the small Food Court, when that was not the trend yet in S Fla. There was a Greek eatery there by the Carousel with the tastiest burgers around.....And of course the Hooters by the water and bridge that took you across the Former Wellesley Inn...(Our home for 3.5 months after Andrew displaced us from farther out in West Kendall).

Old 09-17-2018, 01:08 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchnh2o View Post
Does anyone remember Chicken Unlimited on Kendall at SW97th. ?

I was the manager there from 72-74 when I left Florida...
Yes! Great fried chicken.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:21 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
I miss the Original Town n' Country Center with the small Food Court, when that was not the trend yet in S Fla. There was a Greek eatery there by the Carousel with the tastiest burgers around.....And of course the Hooters by the water and bridge that took you across the Former Wellesley Inn...(Our home for 3.5 months after Andrew displaced us from farther out in West Kendall).
Miss that too, but they sure have turned that place around. It was really dying before. I remember Mervyn's and Brandons in Town & Country too. I miss the Hallmark. Had one in the Hammocks too and the Crossings and the Falls and Dadeland. All gone.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:25 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAQUERO 45 View Post
Going back probably 48 years ! Anyone remember Tahiti Beach ? Also Burger King was in a little storefront strip on sw 8st on the north side of road around maybe 60th ave across street from west Miami . Grew quick and then move to 67 th ave and sw 8 st on sw corner .
Your memory is a little faulty. That Burger King was a stand-alone building just across 61st Ave. from the little strip shopping center. That building now houses a little Cuban cafe called La Palma. (They have great churros by the way.)

Also, Burger King never moved to 67th & 8th St; that was a Royal Castle on the SW corner. I should know; I was working at the Pier 66 gas station on the SE corner 46 years ago when I was 16. I was also going out with a girl who worked at the Royal Castle.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:29 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,413,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
I miss the Hallmark. Had one in the Hammocks too and the Crossings and the Falls and Dadeland. All gone.
(Country Walk)

How many stores does Hallmark have?

Most Hallmark Gold Crown® stores – about 1,650 of the 2,000 stores in the United States network – are privately owned, and owners make business decisions based on their own circumstances.

Aug 1, 2018

Apparently gone from Fla alltogether, but paddling along elsewhere in the USA

Old 09-18-2018, 01:24 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
I miss the Hallmark. Had one in the Hammocks too and the Crossings and the Falls and Dadeland. All gone.
There's a Hallmark shop just about a mile south of the Falls on South Dixie at 147th.

https://stores.hallmark.com/fl/miami...A_GC_RIO-local

Old 09-18-2018, 01:27 PM

72 posts, read 60,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Your memory is a little faulty. That Burger King was a stand-alone building just across 61st Ave. from the little strip shopping center. That building now houses a little Cuban cafe called La Palma. (They have great churros by the way.)

Also, Burger King never moved to 67th & 8th St; that was a Royal Castle on the SW corner. I should know; I was working at the Pier 66 gas station on the SE corner 46 years ago when I was 16. I was also going out with a girl who worked at the Royal Castle.
My memory is not that faulty when according to you I missed it by one block after 48 years . lol .
I know where La Palma is and I almost could swear this BK was in a little storefront . Remember 48 +years ago ! If not I stand corrected . BTW the BK is still there (67th/8 st.) but not on the RC site , I believe because I dont live in Miami anymore . IMO the RC your referen to was farther towards the corner more on "Ludlam Rd 67 th ave like across where Charlies Auto Glass was or is if still there . I do remember on the ne corner like a pharmacy that severed good milk shakes and burgers like many pharmacy float shops years ago. Getting back to your original first sentence in your post/quote according to you my "memory" might be a little faulty that I wont deny ,but I will tell you one thing I"am not a liar . Also I will tell you something else IMO for a man here on this site with such a high reputation as yours and many post you should pick your words differently when addressing someones mistake(s) which it appears you have never made one . Because even if your a Dr /psychiatrist/or psychologist etc some people (not me) would get offended by a comment like that even though we are here communicating by keyboard etc . I left Miami over 30 years ago by choice , for me it was a great decision . Not to shabby for an old geezer with a little faulty memory .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami