Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 03:26 PM

707 posts, read 1,408,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Your memory is a little faulty. That Burger King was a stand-alone building just across 61st Ave. from the little strip shopping center. That building now houses a little Cuban cafe called La Palma. (They have great churros by the way.)

Also, Burger King never moved to 67th & 8th St; that was a Royal Castle on the SW corner. I should know; I was working at the Pier 66 gas station on the SE corner 46 years ago when I was 16. I was also going out with a girl who worked at the Royal Castle.
There was a place on 8th street that sold the best Churros and Hot Chocolate in all of Miami do
you remember the name, I'm sure its long gone now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 03:39 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,414,037 times
Quote:
There was a place on 8th street that sold the best Churros and Hot Chocolate in all of Miami do
The distance between SW 8th Street at Brickell and SW 8th Street at Krome Ave is exactly 18.8 miles ..... Not being picky, can you recall the possible address down to just about a mile ??

Old 09-18-2018, 03:59 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAQUERO 45 View Post
My memory is not that faulty when according to you I missed it by one block after 48 years . lol .
I know where La Palma is and I almost could swear this BK was in a little storefront . Remember 48 +years ago ! If not I stand corrected . BTW the BK is still there (67th/8 st.) but not on the RC site , I believe because I dont live in Miami anymore . IMO the RC your referen to was farther towards the corner more on "Ludlam Rd 67 th ave like across where Charlies Auto Glass was or is if still there . I do remember on the ne corner like a pharmacy that severed good milk shakes and burgers like many pharmacy float shops years ago. Getting back to your original first sentence in your post/quote according to you my "memory" might be a little faulty that I wont deny ,but I will tell you one thing I"am not a liar . Also I will tell you something else IMO for a man here on this site with such a high reputation as yours and many post you should pick your words differently when addressing someones mistake(s) which it appears you have never made one . Because even if your a Dr /psychiatrist/or psychologist etc some people (not me) would get offended by a comment like that even though we are here communicating by keyboard etc . I left Miami over 30 years ago by choice , for me it was a great decision . Not to shabby for an old geezer with a little faulty memory .
WOW, where did all that come from?!

All I said was that your memory was a little faulty. I have no idea how you took that as an insult, much less all the way to thinking that I was calling you a liar. I meant no such thing. In any case, I apologize for the perceived insult.

I almost hate to correct you again, but the BK you are referring to is between 68th Ave. and 68th Ct, not on the SW corner of 67th Ave & 8th St. as you wrote initially. As I said, RC was on the SW corner of 67th Ave & 8th St. Also, I am 100% positive that La Palma stands where the old BK was.

I grew up in West Miami and still live in Miami, albeit now on the other side of Coral Gables near The Roads. I still regularly visit my old neighborhood because my parents still live in the house in which I grew up. Also, as I pointed out to you, I worked at the Phillips 66 station on the SE corner. It was called Trail Auto back then and Charlie's Auto Glass was in a building behind it, further south on Ludlam. When Trail Auto closed, Charlie's moved up to the corner. Charlie's old location is now a Family Dollar.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:43 PM

707 posts, read 1,408,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
The distance between SW 8th Street at Brickell and SW 8th Street at Krome Ave is exactly 18.8 miles ..... Not being picky, can you recall the possible address down to just about a mile ??
It was around SW 67 ave and 8th street in that area.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:49 PM

626 posts, read 1,240,839 times
[quote=Rublik;52584347]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post

Do you know the address where the mccrory store was on miracle mile in coral gables? My father was the manager there from 1960 to 1962. I have not been back since 1963 and I will be going in August and would like to see where the store was.

Thanks for any help you can give
It was located in what I believe is currently a Tarpon Bend Raw Bar & Grill, along with other structures. About half a block...maybe less...from Denny's.
If memory doesn't fail me, there was a J.Byron's nearby, or JCPenney...so long ago.

Hope you have a chance to visit.

P.S: Just re-read you post and realized your trip was in August...my bad.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:18 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
There's a Hallmark shop just about a mile south of the Falls on South Dixie at 147th.

https://stores.hallmark.com/fl/miami...A_GC_RIO-local
Yes, the last one in Miami. Maybe there's one in Aventura, not sure.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Yes! Great fried chicken.
Anymore details?
Are you still in the area?
Remember anything about the restaurant or neighboring bussinsses?

I was back in 1999 and nothing was left...

Old 09-18-2018, 10:55 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
You've got to be talking about the place in the post you quoted La Palma cafeteria,its been maybe 3 years since I've gone but I still think it exists,and yeah its very good,that thick hot chocolate with some good churros on a cool night.Places like this make me want to move back to Miami.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:11 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
You've got to be talking about the place in the post you quoted La Palma cafeteria,its been maybe 3 years since I've gone but I still think it exists,and yeah its very good,that thick hot chocolate with some good churros on a cool night.Places like this make me want to move back to Miami.
Yes, that is the place I was talking about in my post, and yes it still exists. (And it's still very good!)

Old 09-21-2018, 04:29 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,414,037 times
When I first started work at Mercy Hospital back in 1994 I discovered Scotty's Landing on Pan Am Drive right on the water...That was for ever my favorite hang out until the day they closed, I have not been back to the area since right before they closed I wonder what did finally happen with the property.

I went by there everyday into work and back home and still on weekends I did not mind driving back there with family, friends to go spend a great time, good food and decent prices.

We need more places like that in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami