Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 02:20 AM

104 posts, read 380,586 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I recently landed a job in Melville, LI and have been thinking about renting out my Co-Op in Clinton Hills, Brooklyn and moving out to LI to be closer to the job. The commute from Brooklyn to the job isnt bad (about 45 minutes drive) and I am close to the LIRR in Bklyn, but I am thinking a change may be nice to try for a year. Also I am told that traffic out to LI may be heavy (I would think that the heavy traffice heading towards the city would be worse but whatever).

I am a single, black female and a professional in the financial services field. A co-worker suggested I check out Mineola as a possible place to move to. He says coming from downtown Brooklyn, I would love it. What do you guys think? Any suggestions on what would be a good choice for me? Mineola or anywhere else that is accessible to Melville?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bgirl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:04 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,693,899 times
Default Understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland"

BklynGirl45, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Melville is a hamlet in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County and Mineola is a village in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County.

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

NYS Geographic Glossary and Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 1 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

You can get a fact sheet for any city, village or hamlet on Long Island by going here American FactFinder and input the name of the city, village or hamlet for "city/town" (leave out the ZIP Code) and New York for "State", and then click "GO".

You'll get a lot of demographic, and some economic, statistics for the city, village or hamlet you selected, and if you click on "Reference map" (it's on the right hand side), you'll get a map.

When you do find an apartment or house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that apartment or house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Old 01-06-2010, 07:15 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGirl45 View Post
Hello all,

I recently landed a job in Melville, LI and have been thinking about renting out my Co-Op in Clinton Hills, Brooklyn and moving out to LI to be closer to the job. The commute from Brooklyn to the job isnt bad (about 45 minutes drive) and I am close to the LIRR in Bklyn, but I am thinking a change may be nice to try for a year. Also I am told that traffic out to LI may be heavy (I would think that the heavy traffice heading towards the city would be worse but whatever).

I am a single, black female and a professional in the financial services field. A co-worker suggested I check out Mineola as a possible place to move to. He says coming from downtown Brooklyn, I would love it. What do you guys think? Any suggestions on what would be a good choice for me? Mineola or anywhere else that is accessible to Melville?

Bgirl
Mineola is basically Queens East, I wouldn't compare it to Brooklyn...it has all the congestion and none of the character. I'd try Huntington first.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:16 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
I'd try Farmingdale - plenty of places to live and a cute downtown. I started working here over the summer and I was surprised how nice the town is.

Huntington is also a good bet. Great downtown. Both would give you good commutes to Melville.

Skip Mineola. Whoever said it would be a fun place to live was seriously misleading you.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:08 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'd try Farmingdale - plenty of places to live and a cute downtown. I started working here over the summer and I was surprised how nice the town is.

Huntington is also a good bet. Great downtown. Both would give you good commutes to Melville.

Skip Mineola. .

I agree!

Old 01-06-2010, 09:24 AM

189 posts, read 633,077 times
Mineola will be good in about 3 years, but for now I would look in Huntington for a commute to Melville.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:34 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony314 View Post
Mineola will be good in about 3 years, but for now I would look in Huntington for a commute to Melville.

Farmingdale might be a bit more affordable, if that's an issue...

Old 01-06-2010, 10:01 AM

104 posts, read 380,586 times
Thanks for the advice. I do however (and I should have mentioned this) want a fairly close communte to Penn Station in NYC as most of my friends are in Manhattan. Any other suggestions?

Old 01-06-2010, 10:44 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Soooo, you want to live in Nassa County and be equidistant to the city and Melville? Honestly if it only takes you 45 minutes now I'm not sure how much time you'll save on the commute. I've commuted from Garden City to Melville, and I now do GC to Farmingdale (literally a stone's throw from Melville) and you're not going to do it in less than 35 minutes. Maybe you leave really, really early, and that makes a difference right now, but then what's the point of moving?

If you want to stay in western Nassau and you want a place with some nightlife I'm thinking maybe Rockville Ctr. But Huntington and Farmingdale are no more than an hour by train from Manhattan.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,344,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGirl45 View Post
Hello all,

Bgirl
Commuting from Brooklyn? You're already on Long Island.

Actually, Melville can get horrible in rush hour. 110 is horrendous. I would suggest Huntington, and Farmingdale.

As for taking the train, check the schedule and see if there will be enough trains in the event you have to work late or you miss a train. Sometimes it can get hairy taking the LIRR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island