Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:38 PM

228 posts, read 810,095 times

Advertisements

Mineola seems like an odd choice... But I guess if your friends will be in Manhatten and you would prefer to meet them there... than it makes more sense... Mineola has a lot of Portuguese restaurants and Portuguese Bars and has one of the best served LIRR stations with about 3 or 4 an hour... The area is decent with a pretty nice walkable downtown core... If your are really interested in visting the city often it makes sense... Other choices might be Rocville Center, Floral Park, New Hyde Park, Lynbrook... In addition Westbury might work as you can easily use the Hicksville station or Westbury station... Hicksville is the most utilized station on LI...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 04:36 PM

44 posts, read 135,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGirl45 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I do however (and I should have mentioned this) want a fairly close communte to Penn Station in NYC as most of my friends are in Manhattan. Any other suggestions?
I agree. You should either consider moving further East, or just stay put. I commute most days from the Huntington area to Park Slope, and it's not so bad - and in your case you'd be doing a reverse-rush-hour commute. I'm not sure you'd be gaining much in terms of time quality of life by doing the equidistant thing. In many ways I find Huntington to be the closest thing to South Brooklyn on LI.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:50 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,275 times
I think the other posters have great ideas about where to live, but I just have to ask, what hours do you work? The reason I ask is because there is really no such thing as a reverse commute anymore. When I worked nights I used to hit plenty of traffic from Brooklyn to Nassau, and I just want you to get a better idea of how much time its going to take you to get to work and back.

Good luck with the new job!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:58 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Actually, Melville can get horrible in rush hour. 110 is horrendous. I would suggest Huntington, and Farmingdale.

As for taking the train, check the schedule and see if there will be enough trains in the event you have to work late or you miss a train. Sometimes it can get hairy taking the LIRR.

There are tons of trains to and from Huntington. Late at night, leaving Penn Station, there is always at least one train per hour, with the exception of one period--if you miss the 1:37AM, you have to wait for the 3:07...

Old 01-06-2010, 10:11 PM

104 posts, read 380,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGolf View Post
I agree. You should either consider moving further East, or just stay put. I commute most days from the Huntington area to Park Slope, and it's not so bad - and in your case you'd be doing a reverse-rush-hour commute. I'm not sure you'd be gaining much in terms of time quality of life by doing the equidistant thing. In many ways I find Huntington to be the closest thing to South Brooklyn on LI.
Humm, Park Slope is a stones throw from Clinton Hill/Fort Greene area where I live. Interesting you are doing the same commute I will be doing (just reversed). I take it you drive from Huntington to the slope to work? How long does it take you usually?

Thanks for the info btw.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl1616 View Post
I think the other posters have great ideas about where to live, but I just have to ask, what hours do you work? The reason I ask is because there is really no such thing as a reverse commute anymore. When I worked nights I used to hit plenty of traffic from Brooklyn to Nassau, and I just want you to get a better idea of how much time its going to take you to get to work and back.

Good luck with the new job!
I'll be working the normal hours really 8:30 am -5pm or 6. I plan on driving out there next week to see how the commute is. Im going to leave my house at 7:30am or so and see how long it takes me to get to Melville. I guess ppl consider it "reverse" because as many people are driving in to the "city" (ie: Manhattan) to work, I'll be driving out to LI to work. The good thing is I am not too far from the LIRR Flatbush avenue stop, and I can take the ronkokma (spelling?) line to Farmingdale and my firm has a shuttle van for employees that picks up at the station and brings us to the job. Worse come to worse that trip in total is about an hour, 15 minutes and I get to sleep on the train! lol

Thanks for the good wishes for my new position.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:22 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
Quote:
The good thing is I am not too far from the LIRR Flatbush avenue stop, and I can take the Ronkonkoma line to Farmingdale and my firm has a shuttle van for employees that picks up at the station and brings us to the job. Worse come to worse that trip in total is about an hour, 15 minutes and I get to sleep on the train! lol

Thanks for the good wishes for my new position.
Might not be a bad idea to try the LIRR trip to check out the Farmingdale area for possible purchase of a house. A little more affordable than Huntington; that's assuming this is an issue.
And sleeping on the train is not a bad thing. A little nap never hurt anyone

A new year, a new position and (eventually) a new home--lots of new things in your life. Good luck!

Old 01-07-2010, 12:47 PM

44 posts, read 135,133 times
Quote:
Humm, Park Slope is a stones throw from Clinton Hill/Fort Greene area where I live. Interesting you are doing the same commute I will be doing (just reversed). I take it you drive from Huntington to the slope to work? How long does it take you usually?

Thanks for the info btw.
I drive and take the train depending on the time of day and my mood. Driving in it usually takes about an hour, sometimes an hour and a half - but that's usually after 10 AM. The BQE can really be a wild card, as one stalled car can really cost you. Coming home after 8, I've made it home in 45 minutes. If I have to be in during rush hour I usually take the train to Flatbush/Atlantic-Pacific. I really enjoy the train, as it's less stress and more predictable (and I don't have to find parking). It's not a bad commute. The new LIRR station is almost finished and looks like it will quite nice!

I disagree that "there is no such thing as a reverse commute" comment. You will obviously hit traffic (especially on the BQE, and LIE near Glen Cove Road), but it's always lighter and moving faster heading in the "wrong" direction during rush hour.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGolf View Post
I drive and take the train depending on the time of day and my mood. Driving in it usually takes about an hour, sometimes an hour and a half - but that's usually after 10 AM. The BQE can really be a wild card, as one stalled car can really cost you. Coming home after 8, I've made it home in 45 minutes. If I have to be in during rush hour I usually take the train to Flatbush/Atlantic-Pacific. I really enjoy the train, as it's less stress and more predictable (and I don't have to find parking). It's not a bad commute. The new LIRR station is almost finished and looks like it will quite nice!

I disagree that "there is no such thing as a reverse commute" comment. You will obviously hit traffic (especially on the BQE, and LIE near Glen Cove Road), but it's always lighter and moving faster heading in the "wrong" direction during rush hour.
Thanks again, and I'll agree about the Flatbush LIRR station. It looks fabulous, very comfortable now as well. I'm only a short distance from the station as well, so its a good option. I have a week off before I start the new job. I intend on doing a "test" drive out there to see what it's like. According to the directions I have mapped its extremely straight forward and the job is right off the exit. Either way it will work until I find a place out there to rent, I am in no rush really.

As far as buying out in LI, that isnt really what I am looking to do at this point. Just a rental would be fine. I already have a Co-Op in Brooklyn so I can always go back there if I want to. I'll look at the other areas mentioned including Rock Center and Great Neck. Thanks all very much for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island