Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 03:44 PM

77 posts, read 430,065 times

Advertisements

Eastport is very quiet. Driving out that way is quite pleasant - it's too bad people can't afford to take casual drives anymore just to enjoy the scenery. Or maybe some can - - - although most are speeding through Eastport on their way to the Hamptons!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 05:52 PM

7 posts, read 75,253 times
Love ALL the photos! Thanks so much for sharing. I left Baldwin in 1960 and haven't had the opportunity to return. Lived at 123 Park Avenue across from the Calvary Protestant Church and around the corner from the Steele Elementary School. I know it's asking a lot, but if anyone has pictures of the area now...I would so love to see them. I'm in AZ now, and I love it here, but it's a different life than the one I had as a child in NY. I have so many wonderful memories of Long Island...swimming in Jones Beach, watching fireworks at Coney Island, long walks through the green parks, canoeing on the lakes, splinters from the boardwalks..colors of the Fall...the snow that was so deep we could build igloos in the front yard...the dogwood trees, the lilacs....(sigh) I could go on and on. Thanks for the memories. I would so love to see more!!!!! (begging here)

Old 05-08-2008, 10:15 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady jane View Post
Love ALL the photos! Thanks so much for sharing. I left Baldwin in 1960 and haven't had the opportunity to return. Lived at 123 Park Avenue across from the Calvary Protestant Church and around the corner from the Steele Elementary School. I know it's asking a lot, but if anyone has pictures of the area now...I would so love to see them. I'm in AZ now, and I love it here, but it's a different life than the one I had as a child in NY. I have so many wonderful memories of Long Island...swimming in Jones Beach, watching fireworks at Coney Island, long walks through the green parks, canoeing on the lakes, splinters from the boardwalks..colors of the Fall...the snow that was so deep we could build igloos in the front yard...the dogwood trees, the lilacs....(sigh) I could go on and on. Thanks for the memories. I would so love to see more!!!!! (begging here)
Hey jane, Nassau County has a website where you can look up any property and it'll have a picture of it. I tried finding your old address, but that number doesn't exist anymore. After you moved out, most of the addresses in Nassau were converted to 4-digits (from 2 or 3, like yours). You still see the old ones mixed in sometimes, but not that often. Odds are your old house is still there on Park Avenue, but with a different number on it. If you go to the website linked below you can also try to look for it with an overhead satellite map that'll let you click on it and bring up the page with the details and picture:

http://www.mynassauproperty.com

I was able to find the church and Steele Elementary on there, not the greatest pictures (and old, from 2000 & 2001), but hopefully at least something like you remember!

Further down Church St, towards Milburn, you wouldn't recognize a thing. It looks like there used to be a bunch of stores there but they're all either abandoned/vacant now or converted into warehouses/offices.

This is the corner of Milburn & Church, I took this last fall:

Any other requests from Baldwin (or elsewhere!) I can find for you on there if you're having trouble, it's kinda confusing to navigate.

On another note, my camera broke It's been great picture taking weather lately...

Old 05-09-2008, 11:55 AM

Sean!! WOW! Thank you ever so much! These sure bring back memories! I used to live in the second house off the corner of Park Ave and Church across from the church. If you stood on the church steps you'd look right across Park Ave at my house..a two story red-brick with the driveway and detached garage on the left, and cute little garden on the right...or at least that's how it used to look! It also had a full basement and that's something I really missed when we first came out to AZ. I'm going to print these out to show my mother, as we have many talks about memories of LI. The little shops down Church St used to be really cute. There was a little grocery store where we used to go get candy. Anything you can get pictures of in that area will be appreciated...houses across the street, around the corner in Harbor Circle...etc. When your camera is working again that is! Meanwhile, I will do as you suggested and see what I can find on my own. Thanks again!

Old 05-09-2008, 04:56 PM

I found the house! It looks quite the same (minus a dogwood tree in the back and the addition of trees in the front)...from aerial view anyway! I was slightly off on my location as the large lot that was to the south of us is now 3 lots. They changed the address to 2782 from the 123. Interesting to tour around the neighborhood and see where my friends and neighbors houses are (though some have been torn down and new homes in their places. It appears to be a nice area still. I'd love to go back and visit someday.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:38 PM

410 posts, read 1,675,840 times
Every picture contributed to this thread looks like a work of art,every one of them.
I love the snow pics as I live in TX. and do not get to see it except on the news each winter.
Thanks so much for posting these and thank you to Sean S S S for the website you gave. I was able to pull up the home that I grew up in.
Please keep posting if you can.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:44 PM

237 posts, read 855,660 times
Thanks for all the pics. My wife and I live in NC now and it really brings us back

Old 05-26-2008, 08:15 AM

220 posts, read 1,119,053 times
Goose Creek in Southold (Memorial Day weekend, 2008)

Last edited by Jennifer06; 05-26-2008 at 08:45 AM..

Old 05-27-2008, 08:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,692 times
Very nice. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:52 AM

8 posts, read 51,068 times
Most of my Family lived in that area, in fact my sisiter and brother went to steele school
Shirley Combs
Austin Mott
Hellen Mott/Pilliceri
any names ring a bell??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island