Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2008, 08:12 PM

893 posts, read 2,864,930 times

Advertisements

Hm. I dont know anything really about Long Island towns. But maybe you should do some of
the towns most people seem to question about?

Levittown, Huntington, Rockville Center, Garden City, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 02:08 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,546,713 times
Seanx4,

Nice job! Bellmorw village is a great example of a small downtown turnaround. When I grew up in Bellmore, there was no real reason to go too town, it was kinda dumpy. Much nicer now....

I remember a coal & ice store and Bellmore Feed........a feed store in Bellmore......& I'm not even 40 yet!

Old 06-18-2008, 09:26 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,513,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Seanx4,

Nice job! Bellmorw village is a great example of a small downtown turnaround. When I grew up in Bellmore, there was no real reason to go too town, it was kinda dumpy. Much nicer now....

I remember a coal & ice store and Bellmore Feed........a feed store in Bellmore......& I'm not even 40 yet!
I'm not even 30 and I remember that stuff! The ice & coal store only went out of business last year, the other one has been gone for a long time though. We mainly went there to get Christmas decorations. Where was Bellmore Feed? I'm guessing it was on Bedford Avenue, but that area really was much different back then.

Here's Bellmore Ice & Coal waiting for it's date with a bulldozer:

Old 06-18-2008, 10:33 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,891 times
No illegals this time, as to not offend those who cant mow their own lawn.
Just a big nasty storm that raked across LI.
Here it is on its way out.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:34 PM

Scary skies over Lake Grove earlier today!

I hope everyone is OK! It looked pretty scary at times.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:46 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,877,053 times
Check out this awesome slideshow. Give it a minute to load up... it is well worth it!

http://www.fromtheflightdeck.com/VideoLIW/nyvideo640.wmv (broken link)

Old 06-19-2008, 08:03 PM

Woah John those pictures do look scary. I was loving those storms here in Valley Stream. Lake Groove looks really nice, never heard of it though.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:40 PM

Lake Grove is the town the Smithaven Mall is near. I do like that area but its getting abit built up, esp with those ugly McMansions they built across from the mall. Huge ugly houses and no trees. As you can see in the photo which overlooks the development. I wouldn't shed any tears if a twister removed that eyesore, just as long as no people got hurt.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Lake Grove is the town the Smithaven Mall is near. I do like that area but its getting abit built up, esp with those ugly McMansions they built across from the mall. Huge ugly houses and no trees. As you can see in the photo which overlooks the development. I wouldn't shed any tears if a twister removed that eyesore, just as long as no people got hurt.
Oh, Ive never been to Smithaven Mall. The only place in Suffolk I have been is Tanger Outlets haha. My family doesn't get out much.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:12 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,546,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I'm not even 30 and I remember that stuff! The ice & coal store only went out of business last year, the other one has been gone for a long time though. We mainly went there to get Christmas decorations. Where was Bellmore Feed? I'm guessing it was on Bedford Avenue, but that area really was much different back then.

Here's Bellmore Ice & Coal waiting for it's date with a bulldozer:
Yep thats it......Tough sell ice & coal....lol.

I remember Bellmore Feed across from Albert Brothers (Awesome hardware store) on Newbridge but its too hazy. It may have been on bedford.

My brother (age 48) remembers hearing the saw mill operate on Saw Mill Road from the house I grew up in! Crazy.....times change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island