Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 03:27 AM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The electoral college is only used for Presidential elections. All governor races are popular vote.
^then that explains it.

I was wondering why even though Kentucky is a very red state in most elections...our state legislature is almost all
Republican - and the state always goes Red in Presidential elections... we usually statistically are more likely to elect a Democrat to the Governor's race. That explains it, Louisville and Lexington have a tendency to vote blue (Louisville a lot, Lexington a little bit)but the combined metro population of the two areas
Louisville metro area -1,395,634 population

Lexington metro area -517,056
So together that is almost 2 million people -Kentucky population is around 4.5 million
^of course not all of that population is of voting age, or will bother voting if they are
(and not every person in those cities will vote Democratic just like every person in the rural areas are going to vote
Republican...the that seems to be the trend overall.

It explains a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 05:38 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
^then that explains it.

I was wondering why even though Kentucky is a very red state in most elections...our state legislature is almost all
Republican - and the state always goes Red in Presidential elections... we usually statistically are more likely to elect a Democrat to the Governor's race. That explains it, Louisville and Lexington have a tendency to vote blue (Louisville a lot, Lexington a little bit)but the combined metro population of the two areas
Louisville metro area -1,395,634 population

Lexington metro area -517,056
So together that is almost 2 million people -Kentucky population is around 4.5 million
^of course not all of that population is of voting age, or will bother voting if they are
(and not every person in those cities will vote Democratic just like every person in the rural areas are going to vote
Republican...the that seems to be the trend overall.

It explains a lot.
I believe the population of Louisville you quote includes suburbs, which include some in Indiana and they can't vote in KY elections, so the population number you quote for Louisville is much larger than what really exists within the city. The census for the city of Louisville in 2020 was 246,000 within city limits. The larger metro area Louisville Jefferson county was about 387,000. Perhaps I'm reading this census chart wrong but anyone can correct me. The census chart shows an estimate for total Louisville population at about 625,000 in 2022
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...ucky/POP010220

Lexington is solid Blue, period. It's not light blue or purple. It consistently votes for democrats in every election and has done so for several years now. I can't see how anyone would consider Lexington purple anymore.

Interestingly, the counties which include Cincinnati suburbs on the KY side of the river still remain red. They all voted majority republican in the last presidential election.

This is why KY remains a deep red state despite often times voting for a Dem for governor. For many Kentuckians, it's about the candidate, not the D or R by their name. They vote for who lines up best with their values and beliefs.
The populations of Louisville and Lexington are not nearly enough to cancel out the population of the rest of the state in state and national elections.

This is just my opinion, but if republicans have a good likable candidate for governor, that candidate will win the governor's race. I believe Cameron meets that description. I've had the privilege of meeting him. The road block is that Beshear is an incumbent, has the backing and money of the White House behind him, and has been a master of good photo ops and taking credit for things he most likely had little to do with.

Last edited by marino760; 07-31-2023 at 06:43 AM..

Old 07-31-2023, 07:53 AM

Yes you are right about the population ...to get those numbers, I just did a quick google search googling 'Louisville Metro area population'
and "Lexington Metro population"...and I forgot that the metro area would include Southern Indiana. (My bad since I grew up in Louisville!) Lexington's Metro area though includes Versailles, Paris, Nicholasville, Georgetown which I am assuming would be much more conservative than Lexington.

You are right no where in Lexington according to this map anyway is actually conservative. Some area's are split though....as is the area where we live.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 07-31-2023 at 08:06 AM..

Old 07-31-2023, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Yes you are right about the population ...to get those numbers, I just did a quick google search googling 'Louisville Metro area population'
and "Lexington Metro population"...and I forgot that the metro area would include Southern Indiana. (My bad since I grew up in Louisville!) Lexington's Metro area though includes Versailles, Paris, Nicholasville, Georgetown which I am assuming would be much more conservative than Lexington.
I'm not being disagreeable but have to disagree

Those other towns you mention are not part of the Lexington-Fayette County metro area. They are in other counties with independent local governments, county seats, as recognized by the census and state of KY. Yes, they are more conservative than Lexington, that's why Lexington is Blue and those other locations are red.

Last edited by marino760; 07-31-2023 at 08:18 AM..

Old 07-31-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm not being disagreeable but have to disagree

Those other towns you mention are not part of the Lexington-Fayette County metro area. They are in other counties with independent local governments, county seats, as recognized by the census and state of KY. Yes, they are more conservative than Lexington, that's why Lexington is Blue and those other locations are red.

Yes they are their own Independent towns and regions of course, but statistically the way they determine metro areas
they are considered part of the Metro area

They may not take 'metro areas' into consideration in voting counts though....so yes, you are probably right on that account.

Old 07-31-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Yes they are their own Independent towns and regions of course, but statistically the way they determine metro areas
they are considered part of the Metro area

They may not take 'metro areas' into consideration in voting counts though....so yes, you are probably right on that account.
Good to know and thank you for clarifying.

Old 07-31-2023, 08:34 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
^He strongly denies that he supports gender reassignment surgery for minors.
He says it has never even happened in Kentucky.
Democratic governor pushes back against transgender-related attacks by GOP in Kentucky campaign

-----------------------
https://www.kentuckyfried.com/beshea...gery-not-true/

Since WWII only three Republicans have been elected Governor and none of those were re-elected.

We haven't turned into California yet!
Besides, Beshear is about as Moderate as you can get.

So while we always vote Red in Presidential Elections and for the General Assembly, it's not always so for the Governor's race.

Does anyone know if we elect the Governor through popular vote or through the electoral college vote like we do the Presidency?
All state wide offices in Kentucky, including Governor, are elected through popular vote.

Old 07-31-2023, 08:54 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
^He strongly denies that he supports gender reassignment surgery for minors.
He says it has never even happened in Kentucky.
Democratic governor pushes back against transgender-related attacks by GOP in Kentucky campaign

-----------------------
https://www.kentuckyfried.com/beshea...gery-not-true/

Since WWII only three Republicans have been elected Governor and none of those were re-elected.

We haven't turned into California yet!
Besides, Beshear is about as Moderate as you can get.

So while we always vote Red in Presidential Elections and for the General Assembly, it's not always so for the Governor's race.

Does anyone know if we elect the Governor through popular vote or through the electoral college vote like we do the Presidency?
As an educator, my problem in this arena with Beshear is that his Education Commissioner sent down notification that schools were to keep secrets from parents, demanded that teachers use declared pronouns regardless of their own beliefs, and bathroom facilities will be used according to their identified gender, as opposed to just letting them use single user facilities. There were also indications that sports were the next thing that would be determined on how they identified as opposed to their biology. I don’t personally have an issue with transgenderism in adults, and I get we are talking about deeply unhappy students, but these types of policies, which may seem like a quick fix in the short term, are detrimental to children in the long run.

I don’t want to get in a big debate about transgenderism, and it would not be appropriate for this thread or forum, but you do have to consider who a governor is going to appoint to positions as important as the Education Commissioner.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:29 AM

Well, that's another point about who ever becomes governor. They will make appointments even to local county governments when the opportunity arises, reflecting and pushing their own politics and agenda. The Judge Executive of the county I live in died while in office. His replacement was a much more liberal democrat appointed by Beshear.

Old 07-31-2023, 07:44 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Well, that's another point about who ever becomes governor. They will make appointments even to local county governments when the opportunity arises, reflecting and pushing their own politics and agenda. The Judge Executive of the county I live in died while in office. His replacement was a much more liberal democrat appointed by Beshear.
and maybe this is where Beshear made a huge mistake, b/c when it comes to our kids, we all become like bears with a sawed off paw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky