Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:40 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think any region that willingly destroys its landscape so other people can have cheaper energy costs has issues. Mountain top removal isn't being done for Eastern Kentucky - they could be energy sufficient with a couple of wind farms. They willingly accept poisoned water, higher cancer rates, many deaths from coal truck accidents, and the mars like landscape left after mountain top removal so people that make fun of E KY can have cheap power.

Honestly there are sometimes I seriously consider moving to a state where the natural landscape is cherished rather than despised. I have actually read comments on news articles where E KYians call them "useless mountains" that are good for nothing but mining. I can't fathom such comments being made about the Black Hills of SD or Rocky Mountains in CO.
Yup, and yet they'll defend it to the death. Seriously, if you bad-mouth coal & the industry in general, you'll catch the wrath from a lot of people in this area because they think you're trying to tread on their "way of life". Look at all the crap they started on Ashley Judd for her comments about it (which were 100% true by the way). It's pretty pathetic & their arguments are never sound ones.

I understand its more about jobs than anything else & its how a lot of people are able to eat, but still. It makes you wanna scream that they're so damn stubborn & unwilling to diversify themselves. They have the resources (lakes, mountains, wilderness, some real beauty), use them! There's better ways to make energy now that'll come whether these people want it to or not. If they dont learn some new tricks, they'll end up defending coal to the bitter end of its life & then won't have anything else to fall back on.

I don't see this ending well for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 01:50 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

Honestly there are sometimes I seriously consider moving to a state where the natural landscape is cherished rather than despised. I have actually read comments on news articles where E KYians call them "useless mountains" that are good for nothing but mining. I can't fathom such comments being made about the Black Hills of SD or Rocky Mountains in CO.
And Kentucky's Bluegrass region doesn't "cherish" their land?? What?? That land is more "cherished" than about any other place in America. Can you say horse farms???

Old 10-14-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
And Kentucky's Bluegrass region doesn't "cherish" their land?? What?? That land is more "cherished" than about any other place in America. Can you say horse farms???
You do know that Appalachia is the mountains, right? And those mountains make up the biggest land mass of the state & have an extremely high poverty rate. Don't think they have a lot of horse farms around there, chief but nice try.

My God you're clueless. Seriously, go round up some more of your old cheerleader threads full of your useless one-liner posts. You should probably stay out of this one & let the people with a thought process that goes beyond a couple sentences handle it if this is the kind of stuff you're bringing to the discussion.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:47 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
You do know that Appalachia is the mountains, right? And those mountains make up the biggest land mass of the state & have an extremely high poverty rate. Don't think they have a lot of horse farms around there, chief but nice try.

My God you're clueless. Seriously, go round up some more of your old cheerleader threads full of your useless one-liner posts. You should probably stay out of this one & let the people with a thought process that goes beyond a couple sentences handle it if this is the kind of stuff you're bringing to the discussion.
Censusdata said "state." According to his post this state doesn't cherish their land. He wasn't just talking about Eastern Kentucky, please learn to read thank you.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Censusdata said "state." According to his post this state doesn't cherish their land. He wasn't just talking about Eastern Kentucky, please learn to read thank you.
I read fine, thanks. E KY is in the state. E KY in the Appalachia region makes up the biggest footprint of land mass in the state. So you see, with E KY being in the state & all, the state of KY in general doesn't care about its land. I can't believe I really have to spell this stuff out for you. It's like I'm talking to a frickin' 4 year old.

Just because there's some horse farms in the bluegrass/central part of the state doesn't change that. Seriously, get a clue for once.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:41 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,897,543 times
What is most sad to me is that our family has been to East Tennessee, where there are numerous family, sightseeing, tourist-trap, places. With better planning, I think the Appy region of Kentucky could have gone the same route. Maybe not on as large a scale, but more than what it is now. The infrastructure was never built and will never come. I think the people there are just screwed.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:44 PM

508 posts, read 1,512,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post

According to the WMF society, KY's bluegrass region is considered to be one of the most endangered regions so you could say that includes horse farm country as well. Doesn't strike me as cherishing the land

"However, the area is becoming increasingly developed with residential and commercial properties, particularly around Lexington. Farms are losing ground to this development and are slowly disappearing. This has led the World Monuments Fund (WMF.org) to include the Bluegrass Region on its global list of 100 most endangered sites."

Endangered History : Kentucky's Bluegrass Region Vanishing?, PreservationDirectory.com - Historic Preservation and Cultural Resource Management Resources and Research Tools for Historical Societies, Organizations and the General Public -

Old 10-15-2010, 06:56 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
Yes the horse farm region is protected and cherished, but in my mind that doesn't negate the complete destruction of the natural environment in many parts of the state.

Look at the successful mountain regions in the world - like the Scottish Highlands. There are no interstates or 4 lane roads there. There are no surface mines. There are no large cities. And yet it is a place of little poverty and a vibrant economy per lots of tourism revenue - in fact one of Europe's most visited natural places.

I wish the mainly Scottish Americans in E KY would have followed the example of their cousins in Scotland

Old 10-15-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post
According to the WMF society, KY's bluegrass region is considered to be one of the most endangered regions so you could say that includes horse farm country as well. Doesn't strike me as cherishing the land

"However, the area is becoming increasingly developed with residential and commercial properties, particularly around Lexington. Farms are losing ground to this development and are slowly disappearing. This has led the World Monuments Fund (WMF.org) to include the Bluegrass Region on its global list of 100 most endangered sites."

Endangered History : Kentucky's Bluegrass Region Vanishing?, PreservationDirectory.com - Historic Preservation and Cultural Resource Management Resources and Research Tools for Historical Societies, Organizations and the General Public -
It doesn't surprise me. The only time you really see any horse farms at all is in the outer rim of the city/county. You hardly ever see any horse references at all in the city proper itself. So to be the "horse capital", you sure wouldn't know it.

IMO it's a missed opportunity to define Lexington & give it an identity. Every good city has an identity. Lex's identity seems to be strip malls & suburbs. I was hoping the Equestrian Games would really give the city a shot in the arm, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen now.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:18 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,108 times
If it weren't for the electronic count down sign on New Circle, I'm sure most of this city wouldn't even know the games came & went. According to the local paper, nobody is looking into the economic impact of the games. This is all very sad, since I'm sure we will be paying for those new sidewalks & traffic lights downtown (which replaced perfectly good ones) for the next 100 years. Time to vote in some change next month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky