Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:06 PM

508 posts, read 1,512,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I wouldn't say it is the worst run state, but it is definitely in the top five. When a state like Kentucky has so many systemic problems with proverty, undereducation, obesity, drug use, severe rural unemployment (even in good times as a result of decades of coal decline) it creates cycles of problems. Kentucky is also the most rural state in the country in terms of having the highest percentage of its population living in non-metropolitan or micropolitan cities. Combine this with a relative lack of out-migration from the poorest counties (often people can't even afford to leave) and you have a synopsis of eastern Kentucky. The website (quickfacts.census.gov) spells out the situation with a county by county breakdown.
The number one solution starts with an increase in educational attainment levels and employment. Until you solve those two big issues you will not see improvement.
Not to sound like a downer but at times I think eastern KY can't be helped and the crisis there is just handed down from generation to generation.

You know I often think about what other comparable states have done right? What have they done to cause them to outpace KY? I don't think you can realistically compare KY to NE states but to other southern states. For example, I personally think TN is much better off economically than KY. So what has contributed to that difference? Why doesn't KY ever bother to adopt some of the policies that work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 08:24 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post
Not to sound like a downer but at times I think eastern KY can't be helped and the crisis there is just handed down from generation to generation.

You know I often think about what other comparable states have done right? What have they done to cause them to outpace KY? I don't think you can realistically compare KY to NE states but to other southern states. For example, I personally think TN is much better off economically than KY. So what has contributed to that difference? Why doesn't KY ever bother to adopt some of the policies that work?
First of all, TN has I-40 and a much larger cities in its Appalachian region (Knoxville and Tri-Cities). Not to say that larger is better, but those two metros offer a bit more in the way of diversified employment opportunities for those that migrate from the more rural appalachian counties. Kentucky has I-75, with the largest city being Lexington, and no other town that comes even remotely close in size. That factor, along with the long-standing geographical isolation of most of eastern Kentucky makes any development difficult. The more roads you build the faster the people leave. The state of KY subsidizes these far flung rural counties and invests lots of dollars in infrastructure even though education, income, and poverty levels don't improve at all. The cities in the state foot the bill through higher tax rates. Lastly, eastern Kentucky just doesn't have the ingredients necessary to attract a lot of in-migration of new people, jobs, capital when the overall package needs so much work. Any improvement will be a long time coming.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:33 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,897,945 times
So where would we rank if we took out our Appalachian region?

Old 10-13-2010, 05:09 AM

Like I said the metros rank avg or better on the income scale

Unemployment in our city & surrounding county regions is on par with the national avg or better (#s released in Aug), national avg has been pretty steady at 9.5-10%:

Lexington MSA - 8.6%
Louisville MSA - 10%
Bowling Green MSA - 9.2%

Eastern KY 10-15% on avg w/ some 15%+

Woodford Co (Lexington region) actually had the lowest of all counties, just a tad above 7%

Education attainment (for people 25 yr or older from 2000 census):
Louisville 4 yr degree or higher - 21%
Lexington 4 yr degree or higher - 36%
Bowling Green 4 yr degree or higher - 27%
KY as a state - 17%

Just for comparison:
MS as a state - 17%
AR as a state - 17%
W VA as a state - 15% (Did I see the list right, WV was not on it? Are you kidding me?)
TN as a state - 20%
SC as a state - 20%
LA as a state - 19%
AL as a state - 19%

I don't think we should have been ranked last to begin with but as GS mentioned, we are certainly towards the bottom (40-49) in terms of how well managed KY is as a state. But in terms of pure statistics I think it is evident eastern KY is a drag.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:38 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,897,945 times
I am glad I live in a county that is not bringing down the state. Calloway County, 8.5% as of August. Workforce Kentucky, Detailed LMI (http://www.workforcekentucky.ky.gov/cgi/dataanalysis/labForceReport.asp?menuchoice=LABFORCE - broken link)

Old 10-13-2010, 06:50 AM

I have only lived in the city regions but while visiting I eastern ky and western ky I can always tell a BIG difference between the two.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:22 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
First of all, TN has I-40 and a much larger cities in its Appalachian region (Knoxville and Tri-Cities). Not to say that larger is better, but those two metros offer a bit more in the way of diversified employment opportunities for those that migrate from the more rural appalachian counties. Kentucky has I-75, with the largest city being Lexington, and no other town that comes even remotely close in size. That factor, along with the long-standing geographical isolation of most of eastern Kentucky makes any development difficult. The more roads you build the faster the people leave. The state of KY subsidizes these far flung rural counties and invests lots of dollars in infrastructure even though education, income, and poverty levels don't improve at all. The cities in the state foot the bill through higher tax rates. Lastly, eastern Kentucky just doesn't have the ingredients necessary to attract a lot of in-migration of new people, jobs, capital when the overall package needs so much work. Any improvement will be a long time coming.
Yeah, I think you pretty much said it all & why E KY could never be an E TN. The infrastructure is just not there. No airports, no intestate, no decent sized metro areas, nothing. It's pretty much the armpit of the state & Appalachia in general.

Although I do think they could do much better than they are. I just think the people are either too poor to try different things or just content with the way things are. Plus, it doesn't exactly attract anyone new to the area, so you've always got the same people doing the same exact things with no fresh ideas. Many peole leave, but you don't ever hear of many people relocating there.

They really should be playing up to the nature-loving crowd of travelers. WV does quite well with this, even though it's almost all rural there.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:41 AM

For E TN:

UT being close to the heart of the mountain region helps
Gatlinburg & Smoky Mtn Park helps - although some of it is in NC
Low taxes - mainly income (for the whole state) helps
Good infrastructure

Old 10-13-2010, 09:00 AM

276 posts, read 792,719 times
Florida is the most poorly run state which I have ever lived. I can't believe that KY is the worst--no way!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:08 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
So where would we rank if we took out our Appalachian region?
KY would likely be a bit closer to IN or OH in median household income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky