Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 03:00 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,815,584 times

Advertisements

An admittedly unscientific study that I actually found at the Tennessee forum.

The (Newest) 2011 American State Litter Scorecard--Just Released!!!

Kentucky: #50 out of 50

Surrounding states
Missouri: #19
Tennessee: #33
Virginia: #22
West Virginia: #29
Ohio: #23
Indiana: #45
Illinois: #43

Ohio is about where I expected it to be.

I expected Virginia to be a little better and Indiana to rank much better.

I expected Tennessee to rank much worse.

Quite honestly, I'm not surprised that we're in the bottom ten. I AM surprised, however, that we're at the bottom. While I know we have a long way to go as a state, it seems like Kentucky has made some progress in the last 5-6 years.

And, before anybody says, "Oh, there goes EclecticEars bashing us again, he never offers any solutions," au contraire. I have, on several occasions, cleaned up the huge mess out of the ditch beside my old house. I still pick up small things like chip bags, receipts, coke cans, etc. from the sidewalk and throw them in the nearest trash can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 03:34 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,790,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
An admittedly unscientific study that I actually found at the Tennessee forum.

The (Newest) 2011 American State Litter Scorecard--Just Released!!!

Kentucky: #50 out of 50

Surrounding states
Missouri: #19
Tennessee: #33
Virginia: #22
West Virginia: #29
Ohio: #23
Indiana: #45
Illinois: #43

Ohio is about where I expected it to be.

I expected Virginia to be a little better and Indiana to rank much better.

I expected Tennessee to rank much worse.

Quite honestly, I'm not surprised that we're in the bottom ten. I AM surprised, however, that we're at the bottom. While I know we have a long way to go as a state, it seems like Kentucky has made some progress in the last 5-6 years.

And, before anybody says, "Oh, there goes EclecticEars bashing us again, he never offers any solutions," au contraire. I have, on several occasions, cleaned up the huge mess out of the ditch beside my old house. I still pick up small things like chip bags, receipts, coke cans, etc. from the sidewalk and throw them in the nearest trash can.
After seeing all the cigarette butts that get thrown out the window on my 45 minute commute between Louisville and Ft. Knox, this does not surprise me. While I expect this to fall on deaf ears, I find it sad that people who live in a state so blessed with natural beauty see nothing wrong with leaving litter and messing up the appearance.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
After seeing all the cigarette butts that get thrown out the window on my 45 minute commute between Louisville and Ft. Knox, this does not surprise me. While I expect this to fall on deaf ears, I find it sad that people who live in a state so blessed with natural beauty see nothing wrong with leaving litter and messing up the appearance.
100% agreed. These people also disregard the fact that the fine for littering is up to $500; not cheap.

I THINK that it's up to $1000 in California and North Carolina. I could be wrong, though. I wonder if that would have any impact on littering; methinks probably not.

To boot--and I fully expect to have virtual lemon meringue pies thrown at me here--the worst littering I've seen in the state has been in rural Kentucky, especially Eastern Kentucky. Central Kentucky is still pretty bad, though. Northern and Western Kentucky seem a little cleaner in my experience.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:11 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,908,425 times
What an interesting slideshow. It gives us all something to think about. I nominate EE to spearhead the campaign to rid Kentucky of it's nasty litter!!! I never knew we lived in such dungheap conditions. This has been a real eye-opener. I may move out of state because of this.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
What an interesting slideshow. It gives us all something to think about. I nominate EE to spearhead the campaign to rid Kentucky of it's nasty litter!!! I never knew we lived in such dungheap conditions. This has been a real eye-opener. I may move out of state because of this.
So you're saying that living in a dungheap is Kentuckian, right? By gawd.

I get your sarcasm.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:22 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,201,546 times
Quote:
Actually, Kentucky is very scenic. It's the litter that often spoils the view.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:10 PM

I can't believe Kentucky had a population increase in the last census, seeing as we live in such dire straights in KY. Someone please let me know when EE gets that pick up litter initiative started. I will bring the trash bags.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:45 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,758,588 times
Quote:
If you do move out of state, please do not consider either Ohio or Indiana.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
If you do move out of state, please do not consider either Ohio or Indiana.
Don't you have some bed bugs to go OBSESS over?

Old 05-08-2011, 09:25 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,921,131 times
I once saw a bumper sticker reading "The world is NOT your ashtray!"

But I think it was too subtle for those in need of such instruction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky