Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:29 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,917,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
KY? HA!!! They don't even have comprehensive public transportation, high wages, opportunities and amenities that attract young professionals, clean streets, diversity, etc. etc. etc.!

NJ was an example. You think that not allowing people to pump their own gas is a bad thing, yet having landfills on the sides of the roads in EKY is fine? You're the trash here, obviously.

Pardon me while I leave in order to prevent this state from being drug into such a horrible society where cities are clean and desirable!
So a personal attack calling me "trash" is the answer?

And once again, what do I care about eastern KY? They don't care about the going's-on in the Purchase, so why should I care about them?

And again, I live in Murray. We have public transportation, recycling, clean streets, etc. High wages? Depends where you live and work. Someone making $50K in Murray would be well off and someone making $50K in Mass would be struggling.

What do you want? EVERY STATE in the nation has issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 03:40 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,829,190 times
We don't see much of stx12499 come this way anymore; however; if he does see any personal attacks, he'll shut this thread down in a heartbeat.

Word to the wise, ya'll. I don't want KY to become a NoVA, California, Texas, or Florida forum.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:49 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,947,931 times
Could you just answer the gentleman's question in regard to in which state you'd prefer to live, UKUKUK? I know it's difficult, given your pattern of ad hominem insults...but could you please try? Thank you.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:48 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,116,911 times
Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, NoDak, SoDak, Washington, Oregon, Montana, Texas, Kansas, New Mexico, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts. Any of those would be fine. At least in these places you can find a forward thinking populace for the most part.

kentuckydad95, just because everything is peachy in Murray doesn't mean that the other 99% of the state doesn't have problems. Murray is a college town, easily manageable and with few problems to begin with.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, NoDak, SoDak, Washington, Oregon, Montana, Texas, Kansas, New Mexico, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts. Any of those would be fine. At least in these places you can find a forward thinking populace for the most part.

kentuckydad95, just because everything is peachy in Murray doesn't mean that the other 99% of the state doesn't have problems. Murray is a college town, easily manageable and with few problems to begin with.

Nope...nothing is wrong in those states.

As for Murray being peachy...you're right. Let people in Pikeville worry about their own problems. I neither have the time or really care about their issues.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:56 PM

That just shows you're selfish to expect the rest of the state to not change just because your own world is fine.

...and I never said nothing was wrong in those, it's just a better state of mind in many of them. People WANT change outside of this state.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:42 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,947,931 times
UKUKUK: You've written elsewhere that you are working on a graduate degree in urban planning at UK. You've indicated repeatedly, in post after post after post, that you have no respect and little use for Kentucky and its people. You've been repeatedly insulting on a personal level to many,many other posters who seem to like Kentucky. You appear very angry about the necessity to live in Lexington while enrolled in grad school, and have stated that you can't wait to leave.

Tell me, what possessed you to choose UK for your studies, given your obvious dislike and lack of respect for (almost?) everything else about Kentucky and Kentuckians?

BTW, having lived in a large (southern) Ohio city for several years, I can assure you that few people there are interested in what you might term constructive change. It's a very, very conservative, almost reactionary place in many ways, far more so than is the Lexington area, despite having many fine qualities of other kinds.

While Michigan has a rich industrial history and beautiful scenery, its crumbling cities and tattered economy are emblematic of the Rust Belt. Unless your urban planning degree and knowledge have answers to the very, very serious issues facing Michigan's cities, and unless you enjoy dealing with challenges which have been enormously frustrating to city leaders and others with far more years of experience under their belts than you appear to possess, it seems doubtful that you'd find much personal satisfaction - forget happiness, just satisfaction - in Michigan, either.

I cannot imagine that you'd enjoy living in either state, given your dissatisfaction with far more prosperous and forward-looking Lexington.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:15 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,829,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
UKUKUK: You've written elsewhere that you are working on a graduate degree in urban planning at UK. You've indicated repeatedly, in post after post after post, that you have no respect and little use for Kentucky and its people. You've been repeatedly insulting on a personal level to many,many other posters who seem to like Kentucky. You appear very angry about the necessity to live in Lexington while enrolled in grad school, and have stated that you can't wait to leave.

Tell me, what possessed you to choose UK for your studies, given your obvious dislike and lack of respect for (almost?) everything else about Kentucky and Kentuckians?

BTW, having lived in a large (southern) Ohio city for several years, I can assure you that few people there are interested in what you might term constructive change. It's a very, very conservative, almost reactionary place in many ways, far more so than is the Lexington area, despite having many fine qualities of other kinds.

While Michigan has a rich industrial history and beautiful scenery, its crumbling cities and tattered economy are emblematic of the Rust Belt. Unless your urban planning degree and knowledge have answers to the very, very serious issues facing Michigan's cities, and unless you enjoy dealing with challenges which have been enormously frustrating to city leaders and others with far more years of experience under their belts than you appear to possess, it seems doubtful that you'd find much personal satisfaction - forget happiness, just satisfaction - in Michigan, either.

I cannot imagine that you'd enjoy living in either state, given your dissatisfaction with far more prosperous and forward-looking Lexington.
Just a small correction: UK doesn't have a Master's program in Planning. UofL does. However, I believe UK has a Master's program in Geography that has a GIS concentration.

I don't know what UKUKUK's problem is. I understand and appreciate some of his urban planning perspectives as that is the field I want to enter. Heck, I even agree with him when he calls the people of Lexington arrogant and cliquish (because, in my experience, they are, but not nearly as bad as the people in Louisville. Cincy/NKY is only slightly better.) On the other hand, he's almost delusional in thinking that Buckeyes and Michiganders will be genuinely friendlier, but to each their own.

However, I digress. Lexington may be forward-looking and more prosperous overall compared to other regional cities such as Cleveland, Louisville, Knoxville, Memphis, even Indianapolis. I would consider Cincinnati a much more prosperous metropolitan area, not the city itself; however, you are also right in saying that the people here can be quite reactionary. Cincinnati is conservative and slow to change. The economy of Lexington may be more diverse and less susceptible to economic severity, but even Cincinnati's is more dynamic and with more R&D programs (think: P&G, Chiquita).

On the other hand, Lexington has a mindset of small-town-that-can't-acknowledge-that-it's-a-medium-sized-city. Very little has been done by the city since the 1980s to dramatically improve the transportation infrastructure, and even Man O' War was poorly planned then (thank Mr. Go-Big-Bloo-I-played-bawl Baesler for that). The city has relatively little concept or appreciation for its historical assets and, truly, streets like Vine and Limestone, while wonderful, only represent an extremely tiny fraction of the real history of Lexington.

The Webb Brothers, with the shoo-along city-county zoning board, acquired a whole historic block, tore it down, and was going to build what I'll admit was a beautiful skyscraper in its place. What's there? A grassy field. Thanks, Lexington, for tearing down a block that included the building where Henry Clay once practiced law.

The city, and really Central Kentucky altogether, revolves around UK and Keeneland/Kentucky Derby and if you're not "into those things," you're going to have a difficult time being accepted in social circles. In its own way, Lexington is very slow and culturally (and planning-wise) has little progressiveness. I think Lexington is finally trying to do some things to better connect UK to its center city and retain more young professionals downtown; a major step in the right direction.

I like coming back to Central Kentucky and seeing some of the things I enjoyed as a child. However, while I don't care for Cincy/NKY (where I live now), I don't see myself moving back to CKY unless it's for a damn good job offer. I think I'd be much more content and happy in Texas or California, and I've had interviews in both states over the last few months. *Fingers crossed*

Old 05-17-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
That just shows you're selfish to expect the rest of the state to not change just because your own world is fine.

...and I never said nothing was wrong in those, it's just a better state of mind in many of them. People WANT change outside of this state.
LOL...you have A LOT to learn. I also have a feeling you will be moving a ton once you are out of school.

Good luck finding your utopia.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Just a small correction: UK doesn't have a Master's program in Planning. UofL does. However, I believe UK has a Master's program in Geography that has a GIS concentration.

I don't know what UKUKUK's problem is. I understand and appreciate some of his urban planning perspectives as that is the field I want to enter. Heck, I even agree with him when he calls the people of Lexington arrogant and cliquish (because, in my experience, they are, but not nearly as bad as the people in Louisville. Cincy/NKY is only slightly better.)
/hifive - my thesis concerned the application of GIS to planning. UK paid me very well to do both my undergrad and grad work there.
Quote:
On the other hand, he's almost delusional in thinking that Buckeyes and Michiganders will be genuinely friendlier, but to each their own.
I lived in the Great Lakes region for several, much better years of my life.
Quote:
However, I digress. Lexington may be forward-looking and more prosperous overall compared to other regional cities such as Cleveland, Louisville, Knoxville, Memphis, even Indianapolis. I would consider Cincinnati a much more prosperous metropolitan area, not the city itself; however, you are also right in saying that the people here can be quite reactionary. Cincinnati is conservative and slow to change. The economy of Lexington may be more diverse and less susceptible to economic severity, but even Cincinnati's is more dynamic and with more R&D programs (think: P&G, Chiquita).
Forward looking, but the people aren't forward thinking. I've got hope for Cincinnati though.
Quote:
On the other hand, Lexington has a mindset of small-town-that-can't-acknowledge-that-it's-a-medium-sized-city. Very little has been done by the city since the 1980s to dramatically improve the transportation infrastructure, and even Man O' War was poorly planned then (thank Mr. Go-Big-Bloo-I-played-bawl Baesler for that). The city has relatively little concept or appreciation for its historical assets and, truly, streets like Vine and Limestone, while wonderful, only represent an extremely tiny fraction of the real history of Lexington.
Yes.
Quote:
The Webb Brothers, with the shoo-along city-county zoning board, acquired a whole historic block, tore it down, and was going to build what I'll admit was a beautiful skyscraper in its place. What's there? A grassy field. Thanks, Lexington, for tearing down a block that included the building where Henry Clay once practiced law.

The city, and really Central Kentucky altogether, revolves around UK and Keeneland/Kentucky Derby and if you're not "into those things," you're going to have a difficult time being accepted in social circles. In its own way, Lexington is very slow and culturally (and planning-wise) has little progressiveness. I think Lexington is finally trying to do some things to better connect UK to its center city and retain more young professionals downtown; a major step in the right direction.
I don't see it happening very fast though, sadly.
Quote:
I like coming back to Central Kentucky and seeing some of the things I enjoyed as a child. However, while I don't care for Cincy/NKY (where I live now), I don't see myself moving back to CKY unless it's for a damn good job offer. I think I'd be much more content and happy in Texas or California, and I've had interviews in both states over the last few months. *Fingers crossed*
Good luck.

My apologies for the hate... I'm just tired of this town and want to go back to when and where things were a little better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky