Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:31 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,594,252 times

Advertisements

Kentucky is one of many states with an Adopt a Spot litter pick up on state rights of way. Businesses, civic groups, and anybody can "adopt" a section of road to keep trash picked up. In my years of working with the Transportation Department I have seen several businesses sign up to adopt a section of highway but not do hardly anything. Why? That sign with their name on it is free advertisement. These groups are supposed to turn in a total of bags of trash picked up in their area each time they go out. These totals are kept at the district offices. If there is no sign of activity from this group they will be notified and if no response, the sign will be taken down. I have seen several businesses who paid their employees to walk their areas picking up the litter. One thing that helps is the county jails. Inmates are more than willing to pick up trash just to get out of the cell and get some fresh air. One jailer we had would call us and see when we were going to start mowing the rights of way. His inmates would litterbug that road first so the bush hogs wouldn't shred the trash all over the place.
I'm not saying we were litter free. I don't know about the other districts, but ours tried to pick up what we could. It's not much but it's a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 07:53 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,823,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Kentucky is one of many states with an Adopt a Spot litter pick up on state rights of way. Businesses, civic groups, and anybody can "adopt" a section of road to keep trash picked up. In my years of working with the Transportation Department I have seen several businesses sign up to adopt a section of highway but not do hardly anything. Why? That sign with their name on it is free advertisement. These groups are supposed to turn in a total of bags of trash picked up in their area each time they go out. These totals are kept at the district offices. If there is no sign of activity from this group they will be notified and if no response, the sign will be taken down. I have seen several businesses who paid their employees to walk their areas picking up the litter. One thing that helps is the county jails. Inmates are more than willing to pick up trash just to get out of the cell and get some fresh air. One jailer we had would call us and see when we were going to start mowing the rights of way. His inmates would litterbug that road first so the bush hogs wouldn't shred the trash all over the place.
I'm not saying we were litter free. I don't know about the other districts, but ours tried to pick up what we could. It's not much but it's a start.
This. ^

Old 05-10-2011, 06:53 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,823,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewonder View Post
This from 2011 American State Litter Scorecard;

Common Characteristics: WORST States
12 states deemed “WORST” (KY, LA, MS, NV, AL, IN, GA, IL, OK, MT, ND, TX)

-NO Litter Taxation, NO Container Deposit Legislation, NO Comprehensive Recycling Legislation.
Most Kentuckians wouldn't even know how to pronounce these terms.

I jest, I jest.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:36 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,123,858 times
Lightbulb Points to Consider

Louisville still?/used to have a system where you could call in litterbugs but they would only send the infractor a postcard asking them to stop littering.

The fine system or raising to $1,000 is a joke. Most police would rather give many $15 tickets than load up on the one hilly billy pickup truck that is driving a bunch of chicken feathers to the pillow market. When the fine is that high, you know the driver will be showing up to court, your time is hassled, etc, etc. Just make it $15 or $25 and watch the police start writing tickets when they see that DQ cup fly out of the open pickup.

Finally, the police have to C-A-R-E about the litter/dumping problem. In Louisville, you can call them with a license plate number, give the photos of the idiots dumping, and make a copy of the driver license and the STILL won't do any actual enforcement. I've tried a couple times (in and around the Jefferson Forest area) with nearly this much detail (no driver license but everything else) and the Louisville police aren't interested in even making a report. Pathetic.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:28 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,114,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
What an interesting slideshow. It gives us all something to think about. I nominate EE to spearhead the campaign to rid Kentucky of it's nasty litter!!! I never knew we lived in such dungheap conditions. This has been a real eye-opener. I may move out of state because of this.
I know it's one of the many things driving me out.

Man, get over yourself. This state is a mess. Corruption, filth, stupidity, and few opportunities. We may have seen a net population increase, but that's because the country as a whole is growing. The only state that LOST population is Michigan, likely due to the economic collapse there. I'd much rather live there if I could find work than KY though! People like you only push the educated further away!

Old 05-15-2011, 01:27 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,913,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I know it's one of the many things driving me out.

Man, get over yourself. This state is a mess. Corruption, filth, stupidity, and few opportunities. We may have seen a net population increase, but that's because the country as a whole is growing. The only state that LOST population is Michigan, likely due to the economic collapse there. I'd much rather live there if I could find work than KY though! People like you only push the educated further away!
Buh-bye!

Just curious, on what state would be considered the best in which to live?

Old 05-16-2011, 01:47 AM

One that gets me as far away from you and your backwards self. People like you are why even New Jersey has pushed us into the relative stone age.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:10 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,913,458 times
NJ? HA!!! I hope you are joking. Hell, they won't even let you pump your own gas there!

Old 05-16-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
NJ? HA!!! I hope you are joking. Hell, they won't even let you pump your own gas there!
KY? HA!!! They don't even have comprehensive public transportation, high wages, opportunities and amenities that attract young professionals, clean streets, diversity, etc. etc. etc.!

NJ was an example. You think that not allowing people to pump their own gas is a bad thing, yet having landfills on the sides of the roads in EKY is fine? You're the trash here, obviously.

Pardon me while I leave in order to prevent this state from being drug into such a horrible society where cities are clean and desirable!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:30 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,210,318 times
I don't litter but I like to see litter on the road. It gives the impression of a well traveled road. The best places are with old sofas, bald tires, and assorted garbage in various rural locations, especially in valleys and streams. That's what nature is for - a place to dump unwanted items for free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky