Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:24 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,806,863 times

Advertisements

Louisiana is worst, followed by North Carolina, Oklahoma, West Virginia, and crappy Arkansa** (ooooops, Arkansas).

Kentucky is ninth. Honestly, this is about what I expected. Aside from newly reconstructed portions of I-75, I-65 and I-64, our highway system is essentially a piece of crap in my opinion, although the article differs. I mean, we're MUCH better than we were in the '90s but still have a LONG improvement process ahead.

I think the overall quality is a little better in Arkansas, to its credit, than Kentucky. During the Huckabee years, Arkansas made some significant investments in improving their highways. Not that they're great still, but much, much improved. Noooow...North Carolina, they've got a looooong way to go; the entire state has a road system equipped for not much more than the population of Kentucky, not the 10th-most populated state in the Union.

I'm genuinely surprised that California isn't on here. They're probably middle-of-the-road in my experience in terms of road quality, but their bridges are now deteriorating and the congestion in SoCal and the Bay Area is some of the heaviest in the world.

Now do you want to know some states with high quality roads? Virginia, Texas, Indiana and, outside of Cincy and Cleveland, Ohio.

Nonetheless, Kentucky ranked so poorly because of bridge condition, congestion and, most importantly, fatality rate.

The Worst Roads in the U.S. | Travel | Lifestyle | Mainstreet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 12:54 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,574,985 times
Ok, this info is from some no name, never heard of website. Also, it plainly states that our roads are in good shape but we have a higher than average number of deaths from car accidents.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:06 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,902,628 times
This is one "downer" article that I agree with. The roads, at least on this end of the state, are a total piece of s---! I find it hilarious that with and income tax, car tax, etc, that our roads our in such mess. I guess you have to live in the triangle to get paving done.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:41 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
This is one "downer" article that I agree with. The roads, at least on this end of the state, are a total piece of s---! I find it hilarious that with and income tax, car tax, etc, that our roads our in such mess. I guess you have to live in the triangle to get paving done.
If you want to see some really bad roads, you should see my subdivision, really deep potholes all over the place. Joe Prather Hwy in Hardin County, is also pretty bad. I don't believe my work location in Louisville (not exactly the Highlands, Downtown, or Anchorage) has roads that are better maintained than some just outside my window in a brand new subdivision.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:49 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Louisiana is worst, followed by North Carolina, Oklahoma, West Virginia, and crappy Arkansa** (ooooops, Arkansas).

Kentucky is ninth. Honestly, this is about what I expected. Aside from newly reconstructed portions of I-75, I-65 and I-64, our highway system is essentially a piece of crap in my opinion, although the article differs. I mean, we're MUCH better than we were in the '90s but still have a LONG improvement process ahead.

I think the overall quality is a little better in Arkansas, to its credit, than Kentucky. During the Huckabee years, Arkansas made some significant investments in improving their highways. Not that they're great still, but much, much improved. Noooow...North Carolina, they've got a looooong way to go; the entire state has a road system equipped for not much more than the population of Kentucky, not the 10th-most populated state in the Union.

I'm genuinely surprised that California isn't on here. They're probably middle-of-the-road in my experience in terms of road quality, but their bridges are now deteriorating and the congestion in SoCal and the Bay Area is some of the heaviest in the world.

Now do you want to know some states with high quality roads? Virginia, Texas, Indiana and, outside of Cincy and Cleveland, Ohio.

Nonetheless, Kentucky ranked so poorly because of bridge condition, congestion and, most importantly, fatality rate.

The Worst Roads in the U.S. | Travel | Lifestyle | Mainstreet
I can assure you that Virginia does not have great roads. I-64 which connects two metro areas with 1 million + population in Richmond and Hampton Roads is only two lanes each way for the most part. Also, in Hampton Roads two lanes each way in a cramped tunnel is definitely not a good way to connect I-64 to both Hampton/Newport News one one side (pop 345,000 combined) to Norfolk/Virginia Beach one the other (about 700,000 combined.) Northern Virginia also has very poorly maintained roads don't even get me started on the congestion.

No surprise North Carolina did so poorly. I have no idea how people get home on I-85 in Charlotte due to it only being two lanes each way. North Carolina had growth no state could keep up with in the last ten years.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:29 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Ok, this info is from some no name, never heard of website. Also, it plainly states that our roads are in good shape but we have a higher than average number of deaths from car accidents.
I think Eclectic hunts high and low for any and all web sites that put Kentucky down. He's been doing it for years under a different name.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:35 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,902,628 times
The did pave 641 north of Murray...a WHOPPING one-half, yes, 1/2 mile. The rest of the road is crumbling. But hey, we got 1/2 mile of comfortable driving! I guess having 30,000 cars per day in that area doesn't matter.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:58 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,574,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I think Eclectic hunts high and low for any and all web sites that put Kentucky down. He's been doing it for years under a different name.
Yes and I have assumed he posts under different user names too, just so he can post more and more negative crap.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:15 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
InLondon, do you remember jcm, who used to run Kentucky down in every post he could put on here? Same person. Last time I saw jcm on here was when I told him if he didn't like Kentucky then move to Texas like he was always talking about. He got quiet after that.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:03 AM

295 posts, read 974,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My exact thoughts.

Kentucky does have some good roads, like 25E in my neck of the woods. The Cumberland Gap Tunnel is wonderful also. The tunnel took out a very dangerous stretch of highway. I know that 25E and the tunnel is a federal thing.

On the other hand, there is some pretty bad roads in Kentucky. !!9 comes to mind and I am betting that any Harlan County person would agree that it's a terrible road. There is always some kind of accident happening on that road, lots of people get hurt or killed. There is also some road in Harlan County, don't remember if it's 119 or not, that is literally crumbling. I think it's down to one lane because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky