Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 09:55 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times

Advertisements

A little fun thread to see who Kentucky has produced (or claimed) and what Kentuckians have produced artistically, culturally, economically, politically, socially, poetically, etc.

Of course, we've heard about Jesse Stuart, John James Audubon, Daniel Boone, Henry Clay, Abraham Lincoln, and Jefferson Davis as extremely important figures in our state's history. I am always open to discussing and learning more about these figures.

I'll start with one: Kentucky gave the world an international superstar R&B band in the late 1970s. Midnight Star originated at Kentucky State University. I love old R&B, funk and soul and admit that I like this group! Here are a couple of their hits:

From 1984:
Midnight Star - "Operator" (LP Version) - YouTube

From 1983:
Midnight Star - No Parking (On the Dance Floor) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 01:48 AM

14,766 posts, read 8,093,254 times
So many.
George Clooney and Johnny Depp - two of the very best Actors in Hollywood today
have roots in Kentucky. When his parents divorced Tom Cruise lived here for awhile and attended
St. X in Louisville.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:57 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Wish I could remember everyone that was listed when another thread asked the same question a year or so ago. How about Duncan Hines from the cake mix fame? There's also actors Warren Oates, Kassie DePaiva (soap operas), Jim Varney (know whut I mean, Vern?), Rosemary Clooney, Winona and Naomi Judd, Pee Wee Reese, Ned Beatty, James Best (Roscoe P. Coltrane) and a lot more. Of course I'm cheating. Didn't know all these off the top of my head. lol
Famous People from Kentucky

Old 05-21-2012, 05:18 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Patricia Neal (actress), Admiral Husband Kimmel (cmdr of Pacific for US Navy on 12-7-1941), Alben Barkley (VP of US 1948-1952) Abraham Lincoln, Jefferson Davis, Muhammad Ali-fka Cassius Clay

Old 05-21-2012, 08:02 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Jim Kelly- actor from Paris, KY went to UofL
Phil Simms- NY Giants QB- Southern HS grad from Louisville
Rajon Rondo- Boston Celtics point guard Louisville native and Eastern HS alum

Plenty more but I'll get to those later

Old 05-21-2012, 07:47 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,118 times
William Conrad "Cannon"
The Everly Brothers

Old 05-21-2012, 09:05 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Loretta Lynn
Dwight Yoakan
Chris Knight
Darrell Waltrip
Michael Waltrip
W.C. Handy lived in Henderson for ten years at the turn of the 20th Century
Jim Bunning
Mitch McConnell
Alben Barkley
A.B. "Happy" Chandler, the commissioner of MLB when Jackie Robinson was inducted into the Brooklyn Dodgers and, of course, a two-term governor.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:57 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
Garrett Morgan, inventor of tricolor traffic light, gas mask and more, from Paris, Ky.
Diane Sawyer, from Louisville.
Bill Arnsparger, college and NFL coach and athletic director, from Paris, Ky.
Blanton Collier, college and NFL coach, from Millersburg.

Last edited by capcat; 05-31-2012 at 09:12 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 09:05 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,527,537 times
I almost forgot Rumer Glenn Willis, daughter of Bruce Willis and Demi Moore. She was born in Paducah while Bruce was filming the movie "In Country", in the Mayfield area, Aug. 16, '88.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:00 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
Annie Potts is from Franklin, KY although I recently heard her claim she is from from Nashville, which wasn't true or cool. She graduated from Franklin/Simpson High School.

Diane Sawyer is actually from Glasgow, Ky also, but she never says that. Her family did move to Louisville at some point, but she was born and raised in Glasgow.

Bill Monroe, the Father of Bluegrass from Rosine, KY. Patty Loveless from Pikeville/Harlan, Eddie Montgomery and John Michael Montgomery from Danville, Merle Travis, Ricky Skaggs, Keith Whitley, all of the Judds, Dwight Yoakem, Joan Osborn, Nick Lachey, and of course, Loretta Lynn and her sister Crystal Gayle, Telma Hopkins, and Larnelle Harris. Tom T. Hall, Troy Gentry, Billy Ray Cyrus, Laura Bell Bundy, Skeeter Davis, Steven Curtis Chapman, and John Conlee. I am sure I left someone out and repeated some you all have already listed.

There are tons of athletes. The two that come to mind for me are Muhammed Ali and Kenny Perry. Also the Waltrips are from Owensboro (Michael and Darrell). So many more though.

There are many in film and televison also. Director John Carpenter is from Bowling Green and puts the names of BG streets in his films even. He lives here part of the time now.

Patricia Neal, Foster Brooks, Ashley Judd, Ned Beatty, Florence Henderson, Don Galloway, Tom Cruise, Rosemary Clooney, George Clooney, Rebecca Gayheart, and Chuck Woolery to name a few are from KY. Again I missed some I know.

Lots of infamous Kentuckians also, but those can go without mention...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky