Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:00 AM

12 posts, read 58,416 times

Advertisements

Hello, I live in Arizona and I have 2 daughters that are black, and I would love to move to a place where it is green with lots of trees. Out here an average house is $250,000 and those are about 1500 and less square feet, with no land, barely a backyard, and if you reach outside of your window, and your neighbor does the same, you can actually join hands. Lets not forget the two seasons we have...HOT and HOTTER...lol.... I don't own a jacket. The worst part of it all, everyone has rocks for landscaping....no grass. But I am scared to move as much as I want to. Out here KY is known for its racism. I want my daughters to grow up in a safe environment, where the pigmentation of their skin rules their life. I am a nurse so, finding a job is not an issue. I know I would probably need to stay within a city, as much as I don't want to. So, if someone could give me some suggestions on a few locations I would appreciate it. I would like at least a half an acre a more, with an average size home. More outside of a major city (suburbs).
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 7,083 times
I live in Louisville, KY. Although I am white, I have found that racism here is no different than any other places. I have lived in California, Indiana, Florida, Tennessee, Texas and Ohio but I have always returned to Kentucky. There are some areas where you might experience more "distaste" than you would like, but for the most part, the larger cities aren't any more intolerant of different cultures than what you would find in any other large metropolitan. The average home here is approx. $140,000, but you can find a NICE house here for the $250,000 range. As far as your career goes, I work in a hospital and they are SCREAMING for nurses here so as you say, I don't think that would be a problem. Some of the suburbs you might look into could be Okolona, Jeffersontown, Pleasure Ridge Park, Shively and St. Matthews. If I can offer any other helpful information, just let me know.

rlee

Old 07-31-2007, 09:31 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,800,649 times
You might - might - have some issues in parts of rural Kentucky, but not in the bigger cities like Louisville and Lexington.

At least, no more so than anywhere else.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:37 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,816,767 times
Areas that have 0.5 acres lots or bigger are going to be less diverse because they will typically be in the farthest suburbs from the city center.

In Louisville, areas like PRP, Shively and St. Matthews are closer to the city and accordingly have small lots. You might be able to find it in Jeffersontown or Middletown. Oldham County is another option that has a good school system, but it is pretty white.

Around Lexington, check out Woodford, Scott and Jessamine Counties. Again though, in Lexington-Fayette Co, it will be difficult to find 0.5 acres or more for a reasonable price.

Northern KY, which is basically a suburb of Cincinnati, is another area to consider. Independence, Burlington, Union, Alexandria are a few areas to consider where you could find a house on a larger lot but still be close to a major metro.

I don't think the metros of KY will be any more racist than anywhere else. I think you'll find people very welcoming.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:03 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,437,193 times
I live in KY and have a lot of family in AZ and I'm back and forth all the time, several times a year and I have not seen one tiny bit of difference in the level of racism in either location and I'm in extreme rural KY. You're going to have it to some degree anywhere you go.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:18 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,339,169 times
In my opinion, if you come to Kentucky expecting racism you will find it; however, if you come to Kentucky expecting to be accepted, you will be. Like the bad apple in the barrel, one or two racist mongrels (on either side of the aisle) will make a whole lot of great people seem tainted. My family is old, pre-statehood European, one of my close cousins has an adopted bi-racial (black/hispanic) child who has been raised in a home full of love, acceptance, and activity. He is a well-rounded, well-accepted young man who is active in FFA, Band, sports, and has a very inclusive high school teen social scene.

Don't jam yourself down Kentuckian throats, but let us get to know you and your children (this is for all races, creeds, etc), get involved in PTA, 4-H, FFA, school, and hopefully a loving church, and you will find Kentucky a wonderful place to raise a child and even better place to retire.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:47 PM

647 posts, read 2,086,708 times
Yeah, we're all racist, uneducated, inbred, intolerant, homophobe hillbillies who wear overalls, have no teeth, pick our banjos, and go without shoes everywhere. We don't take too kindly to outsiders, if you know what I'm saying. I wouldn't move here if I were you.......

Last edited by Cameron Cayman; 07-31-2007 at 06:11 PM..

Old 07-31-2007, 06:08 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,798,741 times
Default I'm not kiddin'...........

I have a newsflash: there are black people in Kentucky, too!!!

No, really!

Old 07-31-2007, 06:41 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,437,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I have a newsflash: there are black people in Kentucky, too!!!

No, really!
OMG I'm moving ... and I thought they just had a really dark tan.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:27 PM

728 posts, read 1,680,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Areas that have 0.5 acres lots or bigger are going to be less diverse because they will typically be in the farthest suburbs from the city center.

In Louisville, areas like PRP, Shively and St. Matthews are closer to the city and accordingly have small lots. You might be able to find it in Jeffersontown or Middletown. Oldham County is another option that has a good school system, but it is pretty white.

Around Lexington, check out Woodford, Scott and Jessamine Counties. Again though, in Lexington-Fayette Co, it will be difficult to find 0.5 acres or more for a reasonable price.

Northern KY, which is basically a suburb of Cincinnati, is another area to consider. Independence, Burlington, Union, Alexandria are a few areas to consider where you could find a house on a larger lot but still be close to a major metro.

I don't think the metros of KY will be any more racist than anywhere else. I think you'll find people very welcoming.
I guess a community such as Oldham county that is "pretty white" is a telltale sign for racism? I grew up there and not once did I see lynch mobs, KKK rallies, evil hordes of aryans. Actually, you may want to advise this poster to steer clear of the west end of Louisville. I guarantee a multiracial family will run into more problems there than in Oldham County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky