Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2022, 03:44 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,117,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I don't know what to think about the sweeping state tax reform bill that was just introduced.

It reduces property taxes on owner-occupied homes down to close to nothing, but it increases our sales tax from 6% to 7.8%, which would be the highest in the nation.

While this tax would help me somewhat, I own other property that will still be taxed, and since I already claimed my Homeowner's deduction long ago, the decrease in my home taxes really won't relieve the increase in the sales taxes I'll be paying.

...I think. I won't know until I read the bill and study it closely.
My first impression is this is a shell game that won't actually help very many folks. I don't think I'll make up the cost of the sales tax on a new car from the savings break I'll get on my house's tax.

But I'm pretty sure the sales tax increase will make it harder for Idahoans who don't own a home now to buy a home in the future.
I also think that in this time of severe cost inflation of everything, this is a poor time for such a steep rise, as groceries and other necessities will cost us all even more than they do now.

I'm still convinced the spike in process mostly due to Covid and some profiteering, so it may be temporary, but 'temporary' will entirely depend on how quickly all the fractured lines of supply world-wide are repaired and are back to normal.

Since Covid is still stomping around, especially in countries that have a lot of the raw materials the world needs, normal could still be years away. The Ukraine crisis is bound to have its own effects on the world's supply chain too.
They were talking about excluding groceries from sales tax earlier this year, and using that as the "carrot" to seek increasing the sales tax on other goods and services. I wonder is the food exclusion is part of the proposed bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 04:33 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,783,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
They were talking about excluding groceries from sales tax earlier this year, and using that as the "carrot" to seek increasing the sales tax on other goods and services. I wonder is the food exclusion is part of the proposed bill?
No, but they are proposing to increase the amount of the income tax rebate.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-09-2022, 05:22 PM

5,588 posts, read 5,033,267 times
Thumbs up Coeur d’Alene Costco Neider Avenue store to get 335 extra parking spaces

https://bonnercountydailybee.com/new...-may-grow-snp/

Old 03-10-2022, 09:47 AM

32,669 posts, read 48,139,958 times
Costco could most certainly use some more parking.

If they really thought it out, they would move the tire shop over to the Black Sheep building because people getting tires changed need to park closer to the building and it is almost impossible to get close to the building where the tire shop is located now. Adding much needed parking spaces out in the back 40 doesn't solve that issue.

The plan will add more entrances to parking which is a big plus.

Old 03-16-2022, 09:11 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,907,489 times
This is good news for the thousands of Amazon employees in the Boise area.

https://people.com/human-interest/bo...llege-tuition/

Boise State Joins Over 140 Other Schools Partnering with Amazon to Offer Free College Tuition
Earlier this month, Amazon revealed its hourly employees in the U.S. will benefit from career advancement opportunities by partnering with more than 140 universities and colleges

Quote:
"We are delighted to partner with Amazon, one of the Treasure Valley's newest major employers, to offer flexible academic programming," Boise State president Dr. Marlene Tromp said, per the outlet. "These kinds of partnerships improve access to higher education and benefit all of us. Providing a variety of educational opportunities to Amazon's employees enables them to advance their careers and helps prepare Idaho's workforce for the future."

Old 03-17-2022, 06:33 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Sad news from Ukraine.
An Idahoan from Driggs was one of the victims who were shot while waiting for bread in Chernihiv.

Jim Hill had taken work as a lecturer in universities in Poland and Ukraine before the war, and his partner needed some medical care, so they were in a hospital in Chernihiv when the war broke out.

Old 03-18-2022, 12:06 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,766,800 times
Putin has become like Hitler on steroids. In the long run don't count on him stopped with Ukraine. He has big plans and unfortunately we're in his sites.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:38 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,907,489 times
The name of this Idaho butte is a slur. It and 71 place names statewide to be replaced.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...pdigest_latest

Old 04-22-2022, 10:08 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,281,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
The name of this Idaho butte is a slur. It and 71 place names statewide to be replaced.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...pdigest_latest
I see no need to rename things....

Old 04-22-2022, 04:06 PM

561 posts, read 440,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I see no need to rename things....
“You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to cleosmom again.”

100%. I’m Native American and none of this so-called “racist” stuff bothers me. I move on with my life instead of subscribing into the leftist victimhood status. Life is what you make of it. Don’t fall for the victimhood trap. There is ZERO reason to remove statues or rename things. It’s history and culture, use it as a learning tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho