Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 09:17 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,188,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
No.....6 Flags Atlantis is currently a strip mall with a few outparcel restaurants that face I-95 including a Dave and Busters. Incredible Universe was the anchor tenant (kind of like a huge Best Buy from 1990's). Michael Swerdlow was the developer and that was a huge project for him at the time, he then moved on to condos in the 2000's.

A strip mall. Well, that's more depressing than DCOTA. Incredible Universe, lol, I remember that one! And Michael Swerdlow, sheesh, there's a name from the annals of Broward County real estate history.

Yer killin' me with the blasts from the past here, City Guy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 06:37 PM

17,316 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
A strip mall. Well, that's more depressing than DCOTA. Incredible Universe, lol, I remember that one! And Michael Swerdlow, sheesh, there's a name from the annals of Broward County real estate history.

Yer killin' me with the blasts from the past here, City Guy!
DCOTA is closer to Griffin (I think it is on Griffin) and Six Flags was on south side of Stirling.

I tried to take my kids roller skating last year in Lauderdale at that Gold Coast place under the airport runways. Place was open sporatically, goofy hours and I was looking to kill time. I did catch it about to open on a weeknight but quickly decided the "crowd" that was gathering was probably not ideal for my kids (they don't skate well, beginners at best). Sadly I read they finally closed the place or were going to shortly.

Anyone remember the bowling alley at Cypress Creek (aka 62nd) and I95 that is now the "park and ride" lot? Remember the car bomb that went off in the parking lot in the early 80's......disgruntled spouse/boyfriend blew up someone's car, nobody killed but it was a big BOOM!

Old 11-19-2012, 07:52 PM

You're right, DCOTA is on Griffin. I don't know why I thought it was on the site of the former Atlantis waterpark.

I don't remember anything about a car bomb at Cypress Creek and 1-95, but I do recall watching that cluster of glass towers go up. We used to have a joke about the various glass towers that popped up in the Ft. Lauderdale area. We called them "Slice 'Em and Dice 'Em". (the action that would occur if anyone got caught in a shower of glass from one of those buildings in a high wind or storm/hurricane).

I always have questioned the wisdom of reflective glass in the sun/heat of South Florida. I'm sure it makes the buildings cooler on the inside, but wonder if it adds to the heat of the exterior.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:59 PM

How's the Ft. Lauderdale International Airport these days? I remember when it went through quite the expansion (I think in the '90s?) but really never got to see the finished product. Even before the expansion, I thought it was a pretty good airport, used to use it at least twice a year to go up north to visit the family.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:48 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Quote:
How's the Ft. Lauderdale International Airport these days? I remember when it went through quite the expansion (I think in the '90s?) but really never got to see the finished product. Even before the expansion, I thought it was a pretty good airport, used to use it at least twice a year to go up north to visit the family.

They are looking to build an up sloping runway, yep like a ramp to allow the planes to get off the ground easier and then they don't have to make the runways longer.....FLL is a great airport, much less hassle than Miami.

On other news, the wood roller coaster that closed last year is going to be scrapped for charity....like WTF are you going to do with a used 2 X 4?

The tallest wooden roller coaster in Florida closed in April 2011, with Holland's company, Dania Woody LLC, in bankruptcy. The roller coaster, which opened for business in 2000, was built with more than a million board feet of lumber and 8 million pounds of concrete.
It closed after more than 10 years of operation. Five couples were married on the coaster, and it was featured over the years in several television commercials.
The attraction closed after 18 months of financial losses staunched by checks Holland wrote to Dania Woody LLC, Goodwin said. The 3,200-foot long, 100-foot tall coaster's financial trouble seems to be a result of years of recession, when people weren't spending on entertainment as much, Goodwin said.
The Hurricane will be replaced by a big box retailer, a strip mall or an indoor arena. Holland and Boomers of Greater Fort Lauderdale, the laser-tag and go-kart theme park next door, will combine the Hurricane's land and some unused Boomers parcels to make a 18-acre piece of land that will be marketable to retail developers, Goodwin said.
"It's going to be upper-scale retail, something nice," Goodwin said.
The switch is in keeping with central Dania Beach's redevelopment from an industrial district broken up only by Boomers and the roller coaster to a commercial area specializing in interior design galleries, said Jonathan Kingsley, senior vice president of Jones Lang LaSalle real estate firm in Miami.
"The area has been more industrial than retail over the years, because the area just wasn't right for retail yet," he said. "There wasn't demand for that. The amusement-park style use was a good place to park the land until there was. And now because of population growth, the market has cycled now and there's demand in that area for retail."
The city of Dania Beach is pushing for that switch. It changed the zoning of the area from industrial to commercial earlier this year, said Jeremy Earle, executive director for the Dania Beach Community Redevelopment Agency. Two new hotels have been built there in the past two years.
"There's already a push for uses that might go well with tourists staying in those hotels," he said.
The roller coaster, Kingsley said, was nice while it lasted. But land along a major interstate in a place as densely populated as South Florida is likely to end up commercial.
"A higher and better use was always going to come along for that land," Kingsley said.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:52 PM

It was always a tad disconcerting to be driving I-95 by the airport and watching a plane coming in for a landing, swooping low over the highway. Impressive sight, but it made my stomach drop a little.

Does that still happen, or has the air traffic been re-routed?

Ahh, nothing like coming back from Christmas in the cold up north, and feeling that sweet, warm air hit you in the face as you exit the terminal.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:44 PM

876 posts, read 3,794,149 times
Still happens, although it doesn't seem that low to me. We usually bring the kids out there to watch the planes land and take off. Pretty neat.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:59 PM

Anyone have any memories of the Christmas/Holiday season during the '80s in Ft. Lauderdale? Boat Parade (the BEST!), New Year's Eve, Christmas events, etc. Do tell!

Old 11-22-2012, 04:01 PM

I remember that Las Olas Blvd. always looked festive and lovely. And there was a Christmas Village somewhere, but I can't remember where, lol. I do remember it was charming, though.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,372 times
Quote:
Just remembered the name of that club owner, City Guy. Stephen Vincent. Owned Montego Bay. I had the name mixed up with Bahia.

If I remember correctly, he started with Montego Bay in the shopping plaza on the corner of Oakland Park and Federal Highway. Had another place next store. Opened September's down the street on Federal and I think backed Roland's or was affiliated in some way. Might have had some other nightclub or entertainment interests. I thought he did a pretty good job with his clubs.
Boy, I am remembering Montego Bay was owned by Eddie Trotta, now the motorcycle builder. I knew him a million years ago when both he and I raced offshore boats. Or did Eddie own "Uptown"? I wonder who remembers that club?

I still have my old Montego Bay VIP card. Ft laud was the very best back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area