Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 04:20 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,906,622 times

Advertisements

Our pet rabbit just died yesterday, maybe we should eat him. He was six years old, and although we took him to the vet and tried to save him, it was his time. We always joked about eating him, he was a BIG house bunny. As big as our cats. He hopped freely all around my dd's room. As gentle as a lamb. And no, we don't eat lamb.

Everyone's tastes are different. Mine just don't include liking bunnies or lambs. Or calves (veal) housed alone in a pitch-black outhouse, alone, for weeks until slaughter.

Now that said, we'll be having a tasty pig on Easter, so refer to my previous statement, everyone's tastes are different. We don't usually do an Easter dinner, but MIL died recently so we're having FIL over. We're having a Harrington's spiral ham, homemade cheddar scalloped potatoes, Trader Joe's corn, garlic bread, and a made-from-scratch chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. The cake is kind of odd, but we're fussy about desserts, liking mostly chocolate. The only pie my family will eat is pecan and we do that at Thanksgiving. I haven't made a chocolate cake in a long time, I like Hershey's cocoa recipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 09:26 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,235,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
No , not really , but it's utterly delicious and perfect for a family meal. One of my favourite meats. Every time I have cooked it, people have raved about it.

British people don't seem to celebrate Easter that much apart from the orgy of Chocolate eggs and I think a "traditional" English dish for Easter would be a baked and glazed Ham or a joint of Beef. Something on those lines anyway.
I'm quite puzzled by all this, I wasn't aware of any easter traditions for meals at all, yet there's a definite ham trend going on on this thread! And asparagus is coming up a lot too. Is my family the only one who doesn't know about this??!

Mind you, my parents are usually too busy with church stuff to bother with anything different for lunch! Most of my easter weekends as a child were usually spent with a small group of volunteers bunching up flowers to hand out to all the ladies in the church. How sweet.

Oh this is a food thread, sorry. Flowers.....to eat! Yes, we eat flowers at easter.... er.....

I'm off to buy a ham and catch up with the rest of the world.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:31 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,235,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok, so hare is to rabbit, as mutton is to lamb?
My son is a hunter, so he's dragged home some odd things, but no rabbits yet. I wouldn't mind trying it though.
Not quite, hares are different animals - they've got longer ears. They're quite rare these days in the UK so I hope people don't eat them much. Whereas rabbits are so common they have to be culled near farm land to keep the population down or they decimate crops. It makes complete sense to eat them - less waste! When I leave here to get my car from the car park I'll more than likely see a few scuttling back into the hedge.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:35 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,511,189 times
For Easter dinner we are having spiral baked honey ham, hash brown casserole, deviled eggs, baked beans, feta cheese/craisins/spinach salad with homemade dressing, yeast rolls, carrot cake with cream cheese frosting; all homemade. My son has called twice this week from college to check the menu, LOL.

By the way, for breakfast we are going to have a sausage-egg breakfast casserole, fresh scones and strawberries in sugar.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:44 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,809,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
For Easter dinner we are having spiral baked honey ham, hash brown casserole, deviled eggs, baked beans, feta cheese/craisins/spinach salad with homemade dressing, yeast rolls, carrot cake with cream cheese frosting; all homemade. My son has called twice this week from college to check the menu, LOL.

By the way, for breakfast we are going to have a sausage-egg breakfast casserole, fresh scones and strawberries in sugar.

yum MT gal we too are having spinach salad with crasins and feta cheese

Old 03-20-2008, 09:01 PM

22 posts, read 42,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I will be cooking leg of lamb and for those who do not care for it....spiral honey ham.....

What time would you like us to be over and can we bring anything?

Old 03-20-2008, 10:53 PM

8 posts, read 19,210 times
Default Why rabbit is not a popular meat

1. It's a RODENT. Rats are rodents, too.

2. Children grow up with sweet little bunny tales and, after that, the thought of butchering one is rather appalling.

3. It's a RODENT!

Old 03-22-2008, 10:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
Default What is a good Easter appetizer or Dessert?

I have a gathering I must attend and bring an appetizer or dessert

Any recommindations?

Thanks

Old 03-22-2008, 10:35 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,545,108 times
I just reading on Kraft foods website for dessert. There is a cake called Angel Lush, looks good and very easy to make.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:22 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
Breadsticks wrapped w/prosciutto, asparagus wrapped with prosciutto.

My s-i-l just said she had the Angel Lush cake and it was delicious. Also trifle made by layering pound cake, strawberries, pudding, whipped cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink