Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:04 AM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
We'll probably go out for Easter but if we don't I quite fancy Jugged Hare or rabbit

Saddle of Hare Vigneronne

1 saddle of hare 2 tablespoons hare blood
Bouquet Garni Beurre Manie
2 onions ½ pt cream
2 cloves garlic 4 rashers fat bacon
Seasoning
2 glasses sherry 1 carrot
½ pt stock 1 tablespoon brandy

Method

Trim the saddle and place in a deep glass or china dish.

Slice the vegetables and put over and round the saddle together with the crushed garlic and herbs. Pour over the brandy and sherry and leave to marinate for 24 hours.

Dry the saddle and wrap around with the bacon rashers. Strain the marinade, place the vegetables on the bottom of a casserole and set the saddle on top.

Pour over the sherry and brandy, baste well and cover. Cook for 1½ hours in a moderate over, basting frequently. Boil up with stock, add the cream and reduce a little. Thicken with a beurre maine.

Remove the saddle from the oven and place on a serving dish. Strain the juices from the casserole into the sauce. Add a couple of spoonsful of the sauce to the blood and return to the pan. Do not allow to boil after the blood has been added.

Pour the sauce over the hare and serve with herbed mashed potatoes and wild mushrooms.

Rabbit with (hard) cider ,mustard and thyme

Servings: 4

1 Rabbit, farmed or 2 wild, jointed into 8 pieces
3 tbsp seasoned plain flour
4 Onions
12 garlic cloves
25ml Olive oil
25g butter
1 bunch Thyme
600ml still alcoholic cider, good quality
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 tbsp Honey
2 tbsp Cream

Method

1. Coat the rabbit pieces in seasoned flour and set aside.

2. Roughly slice up the onions and smash up the garlic a little, but do not peel it.

3. Melt the oil and butter together in a large frying pan and add the rabbit. Leave it to brown really well, then turn over and brown the other side.

4. Add the onion, garlic and thyme. Cook for 10 minutes, and then add the cider and mustard.

5. Put the lid on, and simmer for 40 minutes. At the end of this time, there should be very little juice left.

6. Add the honey, and then the cream, stir and continue cooking for one minute more, until the rabbit is almost falling off the bone.

7. Serve immediately with sauté potatoes, a green salad and a bottle of good cider ( hard cider I think you call it in the US) .
Is bunny a tradition for Easter in England?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 11:20 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,410 times
[quote=Mooseketeer;3176011]We'll probably go out for Easter but if we don't I quite fancy Jugged Hare or rabbit

WOW- if I served my family rabbit I would immediately get sent to the looney bin!!! Now there's an idea.... no more cooking for me!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:51 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Is bunny a tradition for Easter in England?
No , not really , but it's utterly delicious and perfect for a family meal. One of my favourite meats. Every time I have cooked it, people have raved about it.

British people don't seem to celebrate Easter that much apart from the orgy of Chocolate eggs and I think a "traditional" English dish for Easter would be a baked and glazed Ham or a joint of Beef. Something on those lines anyway.

As an Atheist I don't really follow religious traditions too much and just go for something I really like.

It seems a lot of people are surprised at the idea of eating Rabbit or Harethough, which is a shame as it's really tasty.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:52 AM

[quote=stacylee926;3177015]
Quote:
We'll probably go out for Easter but if we don't I quite fancy Jugged Hare or rabbit

WOW- if I served my family rabbit I would immediately get sent to the looney bin!!! Now there's an idea.... no more cooking for me!

What's wrong with rabbit ? It's hardly a revolutionary meat. It tastes wonderful . Hare is even better.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:20 PM

287 posts, read 896,889 times
Last month I had lap band surgery and so can't eat most of what is offered up at Easter. This year I'm making a fruit salad sans marshmallows with maybe a hint of huney. Perhaps I'll bake a chicken, too -

Old 03-18-2008, 01:43 PM

321 posts, read 920,534 times
[quote=Mooseketeer;3177413]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post

What's wrong with rabbit ? It's hardly a revolutionary meat. It tastes wonderful . Hare is even better.
Rabbit is not a widely eaten meat in the USA - it's lower on the meat eating chain than duck. Rabbits, at least where I live, are bunnies, meaning cute furry pets that hop around in their cage

Not doing much for Easter - it's not a big deal holiday for my family. We'll do the egg hunt in the morning and maybe I'll make a lasagne or something.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:06 PM

690 posts, read 2,629,523 times
If I'm lucky, Mexican food! DD's at her grandparents' so it'll just be me and hubby so I ain't cooking.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:12 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,476 times
I'll be making... myself comfortable watching NCAA basketball while my wife cooks for the two of us!!

What a great wife I have!! (I walk our 3 dogs, my wife cooks!)

Old 03-18-2008, 03:01 PM

[quote=wktully;3178676]
Quote:

Rabbit is not a widely eaten meat in the USA - it's lower on the meat eating chain than duck. Rabbits, at least where I live, are bunnies, meaning cute furry pets that hop around in their cage

Not doing much for Easter - it's not a big deal holiday for my family. We'll do the egg hunt in the morning and maybe I'll make a lasagne or something.
It's not that widely eaten here either but it's still delicious and very cute too !
People seem very squeamish about it which I find puzzling.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:13 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
Ham, rolls, asparagus w/hollandaise sauce, and yams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink