Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 05:01 PM

21 posts, read 11,152 times

Advertisements

Hello, my family is relocating from the DMV. I am looking for a bit more than diversity, I am looking to move to a city with a decent black population. We are specifically looking for cities with a higher percentage of affluent/upper middle class blacks as opposed to largest African American population due to the higher crime rates that seem to accompany those areas. I'm reaching out here because during prior relocations when reaching out to real estate agents asking for good neighborhoods, apparently that translated to only white neighborhoods, because those were the only places she would take me. In all honesty, I'd rather a neighborhood be based on class with great diversity to INCLUDE more than one or two black families.

Almost forgot to mention we are looking for coastal cities on both the East Coast and the gulf. If not coastal, at least a 30-45 minute drive to the beach.

One more thing, we only have ONE child left at home . He is an elite basketball player entering high school in the Fall so hopefully a city/neighborhood where the schools have a decent athletic program.

Thank you all in advance!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2023, 05:47 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Sorry, I actually don’t know of any upper class neighborhoods with a sizable black population like you might get in Atlanta for example. That may not exist in Florida.

Old 11-18-2023, 10:26 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
I agree with FL Expert. The second largest minority group in Florida, unlike DMV, are Hispanics, rather than African American. Usually, for Florida, a diverse, affluent neighborhood will consist primarily of non-Hispanics and Hispanics alike. That’s not to say there wouldn’t be any African Americans, just that again, they would probably be ranked third in number, behind non-Hispanics and Hispanics.

Florida also loves its sports, and although football is king, basketball also is very popular. The division 1A state champions have most recently been high school schools in central and northern Florida. There is also the IMG academy in Bradenton which has a great reputation of preparing young athletes for college and eventually the pros.

Good luck!

Old 11-19-2023, 06:28 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Florida might not be considered part of the Deep South - but it's still the South. The general sentiment still hasn't come to grips with losing the Civil War. The state isn't officially segregated but it's still succeeded in keeping "those people" in their place. And by "those people" I mean anyone of color, not just African Americans. Miami, a very affluent part of the state, is known for its Cuban population. But you won't see many Cubans living anywhere else - because they won't be accepted anywhere else.

If you want to BE the change, I urge you to do so. The state could use some diversity. Just stay clear of Port St. Lucie - they have an active KKK there. Maybe try Tampa and other parts of the Gold Coast.

Old 11-19-2023, 04:19 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
I’m not sure about the actual percentages, but I’ve been doing a lot of business, personal, family and professional, in Seminole County for the last near 20 years, particularly in the Sanford, Lake Mary/Heathrow and Longwood areas, and a lot of my associates are middle, upper middle, and upper class black folks. One thing to keep in mind, a solid number of them are NOT “African American,” but rather mostly Caribbean, African, or descendants of. Most who are actually African American come from wealthy areas of places like DMV and NYC.

When I lived in Baldwin Park in Orlando a few years ago, I also encountered a significant number of black folks of upper middle to upper class. Actually, I’d say quite a lot.

Old 11-20-2023, 07:20 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,896,864 times
I agree with the above posters. We live in a Upper/Middle Class area of Jacksonville and there are zero black families here. I find the black population here extremely warm and friendly, in contrast to my experiences in NY.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:45 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Orlando and Tampa/St. Pete have middle class black communities, though I wouldn't describe any black communities in Florida as consistently affluent.

Orlando has Hiawassee, Tampa has Del Rio, and St. Petersburg has the far south side.

Last edited by EscAlaMike; 11-20-2023 at 10:04 AM..

Old 11-20-2023, 01:30 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,088,178 times
I think Orlando will have a higher percentage of African American upper/middle class than other big cities in Florida. Fort Lauderdale will have a higher amount too, but are probably Caribbean origin. Tampa, IMO will be 3rd but not concentrated like Atlanta. Riverview and some of the suburbs has a good amount of middle class African Americans. I have seen more African Americans moving in or visiting Tampa as a resident. I know nothing about Jacksonville besides what I have read and I have lived here all my life in Florida. Just not a fan of the panhandle or North Florida.

Old 11-20-2023, 03:36 PM

622 posts, read 400,285 times
OP, I'm a mixed race Caribbean and as long as you consider "decent black population" to include Caribbean blacks, we have pockets of such places here in South Florida. I'm currently in Tallahassee for Thanksgiving break and if you're looking for more of that southern black American culture that exists here and up to Atlanta, we have it, but not in excess...one has to search for it. Belle Glade, Pahokee, Clewiston, La Belle etc all have it, but it isn't affluent or even middle class at all.

You'll be dissuaded by those who just read headlines, but look into Riviera Beach, FL. - A majority Black American city in Palm Beach County, with easy intracoastal and beach access, a very healthy HBCU alumni base (quite a few FAMU and BCU grads here), and easily the most compelling reason: Suncoast High School, ranked 4th in the Miami Metro, ranked 1st in the Palm Beach County School District, and ranked 6th in the State, it's also diverse and an excellent school for your child: https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...gh-school-5380

Riviera Beach: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riviera_Beach,_Florida

Last edited by silverct9a; 11-20-2023 at 04:26 PM..

Old 11-20-2023, 08:38 PM

490 posts, read 516,902 times
Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas and Houston will be better options. In Florida, I would look at east Orlando, Winter Park to Avalon Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida