Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 08:13 AM

490 posts, read 516,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
I mean, why do you care that a black person is looking for an area where they can be around mostly other black people? White people don't generally want to be around too many---if ANY---black people ANYWAY. That's where the whole occurrence of WHITE FLIGHT comes from, and history and sociology (basically, FACTS) back that up. You're just gaslighting...
Because this thread isn't about Dino1 and he feels left out but can't just ignore the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 06:16 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,088,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Which is why I was quick to respond with suggestions in Central Florida based on my experience as a mixed (black Caribbean and white French) upper-middle class man. In Orlando, OP can easily find what he/she is looking for in a good half of Seminole County (Lake Mary/West Sanford especially,) Winter Park, and Baldwin Park. I feel right at home in those areas.
I lived in Lake County for a while, and still visit fairly often, and couldn't see myself ever living there again, in large part due to demographics not steering in the direction I am attracted to.

I will say, there ARE very, VERY few black families in south Tampa, so there is some truth to Sinatras' post.
South Tampa is not known outside of Tampa. It’s dry and boring at times. Look up history of Hyde park. They gentrified it. It’s wealthy down to Gandy and floods all the time. The bayshore stinks on occasion and the mountain you see in the distance is a trash mound.

Old 11-29-2023, 06:33 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,088,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Please enlighten us with your list of the copious amounts of upper class black neighborhoods in Florida.
I will enlighten the OP to do research on YouTube and ask actual African Americans and not closet you know what on city data.

https://youtu.be/0nnyz3PT1Y8?si=5ugxYV9cbWUmsHsK

Old 11-29-2023, 06:44 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
South Tampa is not known outside of Tampa. It’s dry and boring at times. Look up history of Hyde park. They gentrified it. It’s wealthy down to Gandy and floods all the time. The bayshore stinks on occasion and the mountain you see in the distance is a trash mound.
Oh I know all about flooding in Hyde Park. My friend has a condo down there, and the parking lot seems to always be under a foot of water.

Old 11-29-2023, 06:46 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
That mountain is actually a phosphate mine if I’m not mistaken… However, all the industrial junk you see over there really is an eye sore. Particularly Harbour Island and Davis Island, I’m not doubt even it’s healthy to live that close.

Old 11-29-2023, 07:44 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
I am old, and I grew up in Tampa. I remember when Hyde Park was one of the worst areas of town, scary, dangerous and almost "ghetto." I had friends that rented apartments in falling down old houses for $60 a month. I always thought they were brave to live there. About a decade later is when the gentrification started and we all know how that ended.

I have to agree about all the bad smells around there that have been mentioned.

Old 11-30-2023, 07:11 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
So accurate and embarrassingly true. You can add these stickers to the list: Let's go Brandon, Trump 2020/2024, FloGrown, Local (upside Florida as the "L"), Joe Biden "I did that" stickers at random gas stations, Don't tread on me, Don't New York my Florida etc.

What do all these eyesores have in common? They further promote division, and an "us" vs "them" mentality that's embraced by those on the right. To lessen your chances of seeing these things, stick to college towns (not the surrounding areas unfortunately) and most of South Florida.

South Florida?

I own a multi-million dollar home in Pinecrest (inheritance). Not the most affluent neighborhood in So Fla obv but certainly affluent.

https://www.zillow.com/pinecrest-fl/

Absolutely minimal black presence there also (as is the case in 99% of affluent areas of Miami Dade).

Old 11-30-2023, 10:36 AM

629 posts, read 400,285 times
I mostly agree with you but that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

To clarify, I was saying that if one wants to see less of the divisive right wing extremist stickers on vehicles, their best bet is to stick to college towns (more educated) and most of South Florida (a mix of educated and cosmopolitan).

Captain obvious statement, but avoid, rural, blue collar, and economically depressed areas...I've seen some "The Hills have eyes" type stuff in Central Florida near Howie-in-the Hills, Groveland areas.

Quote:
South Florida?

I own a multi-million dollar home in Pinecrest (inheritance). Not the most affluent neighborhood in So Fla obv but certainly affluent.

https://www.zillow.com/pinecrest-fl/

Absolutely minimal black presence there also (as is the case in 99% of affluent areas of Miami Dade).

Old 11-30-2023, 11:57 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
I mostly agree with you but that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

To clarify, I was saying that if one wants to see less of the divisive right wing extremist stickers on vehicles, their best bet is to stick to college towns (more educated) and most of South Florida (a mix of educated and cosmopolitan).

Captain obvious statement, but avoid, rural, blue collar, and economically depressed areas...I've seen some "The Hills have eyes" type stuff in Central Florida near Howie-in-the Hills, Groveland areas.

I am going to have to disagree with you here. The ubiquitous Cubans and South Americans in South Florida are just as extremist as the Howie-in-the-Hills types, except some of their stickers and flags are in spanish! The South Florida Cubans are specially infamous for being racist.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ity-shows-how/

I was in Miami Dade for Thanksgiving and must have seen at least 3 cars with "Vamos Brandon" and "Cuban Lives Matter" bumper stickers

Last edited by sinatras; 11-30-2023 at 12:34 PM..

Old 11-30-2023, 03:43 PM

629 posts, read 400,285 times
I live down here…I didn’t need an article to agree with you, but for every one foolish Latino sticker, you’ll see four right wing extremist stickers. Also, those dumb Latino stickers are pretty much geographically limited to South, maybe Central Florida - Right wing extremism is nationwide.

Not even remotely the same…

Quote:
I am going to have to disagree with you here. The ubiquitous Cubans and South Americans in South Florida are just as extremist as the Howie-in-the-Hills types, except some of their stickers and flags are in spanish! The South Florida Cubans are specially infamous for being racist.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ity-shows-how/

I was in Miami Dade for Thanksgiving and must have seen at least 3 cars with "Vamos Brandon" and "Cuban Lives Matter" bumper stickers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida