Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 07:43 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times

Advertisements

OP, I would suggest Pembroke Pines. While not truly coastal it's close and located about halfway between Miami and Fort Lauderdale about 15 miles/30 minutes inland from the beaches. The city of 170K is almost exclusively middle class, 25% Black and largely minus the racial segregation seen elsewhere in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 09:00 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
OP isn't looking for diversity. OP is looking for upper middle class to affluent black communities.

Old 11-21-2023, 09:12 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
OP isn't looking for diversity. OP is looking for upper middle class to affluent black communities.
I think that’s an important distinction too. Middle class black may be doable, upper middle I don’t think so. There’s a big difference between the two too.

I think the OP is best served just going for upper middle without race as a factor. They’ll be welcoming so there shouldn’t be any concern there.

Old 11-21-2023, 10:58 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
OP, I would suggest Pembroke Pines. While not truly coastal it's close and located about halfway between Miami and Fort Lauderdale about 15 miles/30 minutes inland from the beaches. The city of 170K is almost exclusively middle class, 25% Black and largely minus the racial segregation seen elsewhere in FL.
Good suggestion, and I’ll add to it. I just looked up nearby Miramar and nearly half of the city is Black or African American. The nicest sections are west of I75.

Old 11-21-2023, 11:52 AM

21 posts, read 11,152 times
Default Family relocating from DMV to Florida - Affluent Black Areas

I suppose I should have been a bit more descriptive, I was just afraid that my post would be a turn off if it was too long.
I say upper middle class or affluent black communities because I have lived in plenty of affluent areas but the things I no longer want to experience is:

1. My children have always been the only blacks either in their individual classes or graduating class. (I strongly believe that the location where we live is extremely or very important to how we think about ourselves and our personal identity.)
2. Not having reasonable access (30 minutes or less drive) to cultural music, food, events, entertainment & leisure activities.
3. Not having access to community services to provide social support

Therefore, I suppose I am looking for race/culture but more importantly class in order to not be in an area that is predominantly black because of all of the things that we all know accompanies living in those areas. We would like to be in a liberal-leaning type of environment.

Thank you all the distinction in black cultures because there IS a difference. But it's no problemo, my mister is Jamaican and I'm black American.

We're moving July of next year. Our research has only just begun and welcome all helpful insights and ideas.

Old 11-21-2023, 12:01 PM

Thank you!! Added both to the spreadsheet.. PLEASE IF YOU SEE ANY BELOW THAT ARE NOT GOOD FOR US PLEASE SHARE

So far I have:
Miramar
Pembroke Pines
Pompano Beach
Boca Raton
Boynton Beach
Coral Gables
Oakland Park
Lauderhill
Cape Coral
St. Petersburg
Tampa
Auburndale
Lakeland
Riviera Beach

Currently populating spreadsheet with population, crime rate, avg real estate, and great school scores data.

Old 11-21-2023, 12:44 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadanique View Post
Thank you!! Added both to the spreadsheet.. PLEASE IF YOU SEE ANY BELOW THAT ARE NOT GOOD FOR US PLEASE SHARE

So far I have:
Miramar
Pembroke Pines
Pompano Beach
Boca Raton
Boynton Beach
Coral Gables
Oakland Park
Lauderhill
Cape Coral
St. Petersburg
Tampa
Auburndale
Lakeland
Riviera Beach

Currently populating spreadsheet with population, crime rate, avg real estate, and great school scores data.
Realistically, I don’t think Tampa, St. Pete, Lakeland, Auburndale, or Cape Coral will work. I’m less familiar with South Florida, Pembroke Pines makes sense as a good starting place to look based on what others have said.

If you can’t find what you want there, let us know and we can suggest some places you might like if you’re willing to compromise on the demographic.

Old 11-21-2023, 03:19 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadanique View Post

So far I have:
Miramar
Pembroke Pines
Pompano Beach
Boca Raton
Boynton Beach
Coral Gables
Oakland Park
Lauderhill
Cape Coral
St. Petersburg
Tampa
Auburndale
Lakeland
Riviera Beach

Any particular reason for dismissing the suggestions around Orlando?

Old 11-21-2023, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Any particular reason for dismissing the suggestions around Orlando?
I was told that it gets pretty cold up there, Orlando and up. I'm running from the cold. I'd like warm temperature all year.

Old 11-21-2023, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Realistically, I don’t think Tampa, St. Pete, Lakeland, Auburndale, or Cape Coral will work. I’m less familiar with South Florida, Pembroke Pines makes sense as a good starting place to look based on what others have said.

If you can’t find what you want there, let us know and we can suggest some places you might like if you’re willing to compromise on the demographic.
Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida