Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 09:06 AM

21 posts, read 11,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Great choice on Miramar/Pembroke Pines/Hollywood. Hollywood is definitely more beachy while Miramar and Pembroke Pines are more of a suburban vibe. Miramar definitely has a higher black population while the largest demographic in Pembroke Pines is Hispanic. But you already know that—you did your homework!

Good luck with house hunting and your move. The western sections of Miramar and Pembroke Pines will have more newer homes to choose from. I’m sure you’ll find a neighborhood that you’ll fall in love with.
Thank you! We will be in Sunset Lakes. Seemingly a great neighborhood, area and the schools are decent. Hopefully the little adjust and finds his village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2024, 09:07 AM

21 posts, read 11,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Good luck! Let us know where you finally settle. Happy New Year!
Thank you! We will be in Sunset Lakes. Seemingly a great neighborhood, area and the schools are decent. Hopefully the little adjust and finds his village.

Old 01-04-2024, 09:45 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadanique View Post
Great choice! Nicely situated between Miami and Fort Lauderdale and reasonably close to the beaches. You did excellent due diligence! Best of luck!

Old 01-04-2024, 03:56 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadanique View Post
Beautiful! Welcome to Florida!

Old 01-13-2024, 09:27 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
DMV has always been Department of Motor Vehicles to me. When people are too lazy to spell out words I just ignore their posts plus no one I would want in my neighborhood is concerned about money or race.
I don't think it's laziness as much as it's the current "normalized communication trend" among Millennials and younger populations. Over the decades, there has been an ongoing shift of in written communication in posts, texts, and emails. It's the norm to use acronyms or shorthand in typed messages. However, the abbreviations sometimes have more than one meeting.

You made a good point about the letters DMV. in real time, DMV is the Department of Motor Vehicles. On a travel site or discussions about cities in the US, DMV is shorthand for the metropolis of Washington DC (the title DC itself is the shorthand used by 99% of Americans instead of saying District of Columbia), Virginia, and Maryland (adjacent areas of those states which feed into Washington DC).

NOVA is another shorthand that you might notice. In addition to the PBS series with that title, NOVA is also shorthand for northern Virginia (the sprawl/suburbs of Washington DC). That area is totally different politically, culturally, and demographically from the rest of the state of Virginia which is why NOVA earned its own moniker.

Old 01-13-2024, 09:41 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Overall I think I get what you’re trying to say and I would tend to agree, but money and race are always those quiet elephants in the room that if people are being honest with themselves, they acknowledge it, whether that be good or bad is up to the individual “sizing them up.”
Your response is a very honest assessment and yes, those factors are a consideration even when people don't voice it publicly.

On another note, it's a shame to see that a few posters are apparently so "offended" or "upset" that not only did the original poster indicate money and race were important factors in her criteria for a neighborhood, but she also used abbreviations in her posts which are unknown to many older or uninitiated posters. Consequently, one or more of them were attempting to derail her thread by creating posts using all types of abbreviation that have little or nothing to do with the topic at hand. That is a reflection and exhibition of their own childishness and resentment because she stated such criteria.

Last edited by Klassyhk; 01-13-2024 at 10:34 PM..

Old 01-19-2024, 10:06 AM

622 posts, read 400,285 times
Thanks for recognizing and acknowledging it - I thought it went completely over the heads of many...glad to see it did not.

Immigrating to this country, growing up poor, and completely changing my life situation (obtained mostly through hard work and education) has allowed me to view first hand the dramatically different experiences the very poor and the upper middle (even the quite wealthy) live.

I grew up in Belle Glade, FL(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Glade,_Florida) and now I'm under 40, hold a graduate degree and earn over 180k There really are two Americas...I've personally lived both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Your response is a very honest assessment and yes, those factors are a consideration even when people don't voice it publicly.

On another note, it's a shame to see that a few posters are apparently so "offended" or "upset" that not only did the original poster indicate money and race were important factors in her criteria for a neighborhood, but she also used abbreviations in her posts which are unknown to many older or uninitiated posters. Consequently, one or more of them were attempting to derail her thread by creating posts using all types of abbreviation that have little or nothing to do with the topic at hand. That is a reflection and exhibition of their own childishness and resentment because she stated such criteria.

Last edited by silverct9a; 01-19-2024 at 10:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida