Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 07:45 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Destination-wise, going to Atlanta on Delta is #1 for sure from CAE, but Delta only goes to ATL and LGA, American goes to CLT, DFW, PHL, and DCA.

There's still a ton of people flying to Charlotte on American and connecting to wherever, instead of driving up I-77 to the Queen City.

Here's the breakdown of the most popular destinations out of CAE from July 2021 to June 2022:

1. ATL, Delta, 189,670 passengers
2. CLT, American, 115,020 passengers
3. DFW, American, 63,530 passengers
4. DCA, American, 36,590 passengers
5. IAD, United, 29,650 passengers
6. ORD, United, 28,930 passengers
7. PHL, American, 20,020 passengers
8. LGA, Delta, 9,880 passengers

If you add all those up you get:

American 217,160 passengers
Delta 199,550 passengers
United 58,580 passengers

I feel if Delta offered more destinations to their other hubs, like DTW, BOS, MSP, JFK from CAE, they could easily surpass American Airlines, with amount of passengers flying out of Columbia.

Now with American adding ORD and LGA year-round and MIA seasonally this year, the gap between American and Delta will only grow larger!
Good points.. I forgot to consider CLT at it is a hub and not a destination from CAE per se. Those additional cities on American does make sense on why they have more numbers.. they have more direct destinations. Glad to see American is adding those three cities.. It will certainly improve CAEs connectivity. I still prefer connecting via CLT than ATL. I used to hate the connection time and there always seemed to be weather issues. CLT though is starting to get more congested as well though it is still easier to navigate (no subway). The only other benefit for CAE for me is.. If some major delay happens.. I can always stay with friends on the way out or have someone come and get me from Columbia if I get waylaid in bound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 09:40 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Good points.. I forgot to consider CLT at it is a hub and not a destination from CAE per se. Those additional cities on American does make sense on why they have more numbers.. they have more direct destinations. Glad to see American is adding those three cities.. It will certainly improve CAEs connectivity. I still prefer connecting via CLT than ATL. I used to hate the connection time and there always seemed to be weather issues. CLT though is starting to get more congested as well though it is still easier to navigate (no subway). The only other benefit for CAE for me is.. If some major delay happens.. I can always stay with friends on the way out or have someone come and get me from Columbia if I get waylaid in bound.
Agreed that CLT is becoming much more congested. No matter what time of day, you’re going to spend time waiting on the tarmac. I still feel ATL, in my experiences, is rather punctual for the busiest airport in the workd. I’ve never had a hiccup when flying in or out.

Old 05-23-2023, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Agreed that CLT is becoming much more congested. No matter what time of day, you’re going to spend time waiting on the tarmac. I still feel ATL, in my experiences, is rather punctual for the busiest airport in the workd. I’ve never had a hiccup when flying in or out.
Yeah.. that new runway west of the existing Airport where you have to travel past the intermodal and wait to cross the other active runways to get to the terminal is always jammed. Hopefully there are no near misses in this area cause pilots always seem anxious to get to the terminal and speed along this ramp. I have been on a small plan nose to tail behind a larger jet and we kept braking hard and were literally being buffeted by the exhaust from the plane in front. Im like we have to be waaaay too close.

Old 02-13-2024, 05:08 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,843,886 times
Surprised the airport numbers weren’t posted yet. Hopefully the airport can cross 2019s numbers this year, add Miami as year round flight, maybe get Houston and Newark back as flight options, and maybe Breeze or Avelo decide to expand.

https://flycae.com/cae-welcomes-over...ear-in-review/

Old 02-18-2024, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Surprised the airport numbers weren’t posted yet. Hopefully the airport can cross 2019s numbers this year, add Miami as year round flight, maybe get Houston and Newark back as flight options, and maybe Breeze or Avelo decide to expand.

https://flycae.com/cae-welcomes-over...ear-in-review/
I am surprised that Avelo is not at CAE yet.

Old 03-23-2024, 08:03 AM

14 posts, read 17,561 times
I would love Southwest and think they would do well in COLA. I was surprised they service every SC airport except Columbia. From my time in HSV, AL, I know airlines are picky when near other markets and typically have challenges with fees, routes, etc. Southwest serviced Bham and Nashville but flew right over HSV. Same with Mobile and its proximity to New Orleans and Pensacola.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area