Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 01:33 PM

11 posts, read 29,004 times

Advertisements

We are currently living out of state but are seriously considering moving back to the Columbia area specifically the West Cola area near Emanuel/Kittie Wake and Two notch Rd area.

I am concerned about the airport noise coming from the airport. A house we are considering is near a flight path but obviosly we can not go look at it. how loud do you think the plane noise is in this paticular area?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 02:18 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Depends on how loud is LOUD.. Someone from New York or Chicago....that lived next to the Elevated Train may not think that the Airport is bad compared to someone from rural Wyoming.Certainly CAE is less busy that nearby hubs like ATL or CLT airports. I have heard from time to time complaints about the airport particuliarly when they expanded the runway and when UPS started service out of there.. but generally the political sentiment has been "you bought your house next to an airport.. do be mad when you hear a plane"

To find out how loud is LOUD.. I would start off talking with someone from the Lexington County Planning Office. They have likely done some noise readings for areas within the flight path..They may also be able to help you interprete how loud LOUD is in terms of decibels and to make some comparisons to other noise zones. Ultimately it will likely depend on your own personal preference.

If you are able to come into town, which you should several times if you are going to buy a house, I would also talk with the homeowner (via the Realtor) and maybe a few neighbors to get a sense of their perception on the number of flights and the peak times when it may be occurring. You can likely go to the airports website to get a sense of it too.. If you are really determined you can buy a noise meter from Radio Shack or there may be an AP on your phone where you can get a few readings and then discuss with a Sound Engineer how loud LOUD is.......just some thoughts.. Good Luck....

Home

Last edited by Woodlands; 09-12-2012 at 02:33 PM..

Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 AM

37 posts, read 74,587 times
i lived in the flight path of landing planes a few years ago and wasnt too bad. every now and then you'd get a real large jet that would make some noise, but it never was TOO loud for my tastes.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:45 AM

38 posts, read 62,793 times
I live right in this area and the noise is a non-factor. The airport isnt extremely busy, so it doesnt bother us at all. The only time we really hear the traffic is during the holidays, since the UPS hub is right there. Not enough to not buy in the area

Old 09-25-2012, 01:49 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWJr View Post
I live right in this area and the noise is a non-factor. The airport isnt extremely busy, so it doesnt bother us at all. The only time we really hear the traffic is during the holidays, since the UPS hub is right there. Not enough to not buy in the area

Does UPS fly out of there 24/7 or just during specified hours????

Old 09-25-2012, 04:26 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,558,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I'm almost certain it's 24/7.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:30 AM

38 posts, read 62,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Definitely 24/7, its a hub. But I'm telling you, I live in that very area.. the noise does not bother me, or any of my neighbors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area