Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2018, 09:37 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,271,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
It's probably partially based on demographics. Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, and Northern Virginia are some of the fastest growing areas of the country. Add New York and LA for both and the appeal of Reagan for AA (vs. Dulles, which is losing passenger traffic every year) and it's no surprise that those two are thriving.
Demographics are definitely part of it. Flying to Reagan in NY is appealing just for someone wanting to visit for the weekend and/or family. Although for those of us that like to fly international, it's not much help since JFK is the main airport for international flights. I wish we still had JFK included and we could drop Reagan.

Dulles isn't dropping passengers (if I remember correrctly), although as far as international flights, Dulles is one of the top 10 arrivals and departures for international flights in the U.S.

Personally, not a fan of the layout of Dulles. Either it's that or the jet lag I experience once flying back in Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I guess a new airline to CAE could use the lower level, but how many gates are in the upper level, 8 or so?

And how many flights go out of CAE each day 35 or 40?

I would think AA, UA, and DL could add more/new destinations and flights and still have room with all the gates they currently use.
10 gates in the upper level on one concourse. According to the website, CAE offers 35 flights daily.

I agree that CAE could add more flights and have enough gates to deal with flights... I'm still really interested to see how the new Orlando flight will do once it starts in December. Good timing just in case Clemson and Carolina make it to a bowl game, although it definitely looks like it'd be Carolina instead of Clemson at this point... But with Disney, it could help. Although Disney is south of downtown Orlando and the airport CAE will be flying into (SFB) is north of downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 08:05 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Demographics are definitely part of it. Flying to Reagan in NY is appealing just for someone wanting to visit for the weekend and/or family. Although for those of us that like to fly international, it's not much help since JFK is the main airport for international flights. I wish we still had JFK included and we could drop Reagan.

Dulles isn't dropping passengers (if I remember correrctly), although as far as international flights, Dulles is one of the top 10 arrivals and departures for international flights in the U.S.

Personally, not a fan of the layout of Dulles. Either it's that or the jet lag I experience once flying back in Lol

10 gates in the upper level on one concourse. According to the website, CAE offers 35 flights daily.

I agree that CAE could add more flights and have enough gates to deal with flights... I'm still really interested to see how the new Orlando flight will do once it starts in December. Good timing just in case Clemson and Carolina make it to a bowl game, although it definitely looks like it'd be Carolina instead of Clemson at this point... But with Disney, it could help. Although Disney is south of downtown Orlando and the airport CAE will be flying into (SFB) is north of downtown.

I used to take US Airways out of DCA pretty regularly.. Once they merged.. they changed the flight schedule and fares increased dramatically.. So I now use Dulles. The Columbia flight at DCA was routinely delayed.. I believe because of congestion..Every little puddle jumper flying to small cities used to leave out of 35X gate and they were doing renovations which I believe would end the need to take a crowded bus out on to the jetway.... I haven't been back since the merger to see if it has improved... Dulles is much better though you have to take a subway to the gate.. DCA was way more manageable/walkable.

I didn't realize that CAE didn't have a direct flight to JFK? But I guess they do fly into LGA? I wonder if Delta has something to do with this since ATL has the bulk of CAE international traffic?

Old 10-15-2018, 08:11 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:

Good ole Sanford Airport.. Though they had to throw "Orlando" into the name so people would know where it is.. Way less congested than Orlando International.. but yes you have to drive I guess about an hour or so to get down to Disney..

Old 10-19-2018, 07:26 AM

752 posts, read 566,168 times
Quote:

I think you mean Laguardia (LGA) in NY, Reagan (DCA) is in DC. Dulles (IAD) actually has been dropping passengers since 2005, though they are starting to marginally increase traffic perhaps because of growth in adjoining countries. They are nowhere close to their capacity however, in large part because Reagan (DCA) is far more convenient and handles a large percentage of domestic flights, and BWI is often cheaper.

Dulles Air Traffic Statistics | Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority

Old 10-19-2018, 05:17 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...9947a444b.html

A gateway to Europe for CHS

Old 10-20-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Good news for them. It makes a lot of sense, actually.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
I think you mean Laguardia (LGA) in NY, Reagan (DCA) is in DC. Dulles (IAD) actually has been dropping passengers since 2005, though they are starting to marginally increase traffic perhaps because of growth in adjoining countries. They are nowhere close to their capacity however, in large part because Reagan (DCA) is far more convenient and handles a large percentage of domestic flights, and BWI is often cheaper.

Dulles Air Traffic Statistics | Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority
Oops, yes, that’s what I meant. Yeah, the only stat I glanced at was an incremental increase for Dulles since last year.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:48 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,437,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Does anyone know what United's problem may be? They've lost a lot of market share, rarely has competitive pricing on flights and hasn't increased aircraft size. Though they added an extra flight to I think Chicago and Dulles through the football season for easy access to fans.
United doesn't have a southern hub like Delta and American. It more profitable to rout people through hubs, rather than depend on O&D passengers.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:03 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,844,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
United doesn't have a southern hub like Delta and American. It more profitable to rout people through hubs, rather than depend on O&D passengers.
I'm very well aware. Although I'd consider Houston and Dulles a southern hub by technicality. The hub and spoke system still doesn't answer why they're doing so poorly compared to the other airlines...whether it's pricing, service, or aircraft size. They're the only airline that has had stagnant growth (actually they're down in passenger boarding's this year), besides growing numbers at the airport along with being the only airline that hasn't increased aircraft size or frequency year round (outside of the current "football town" stunt). I feel that if they were to add Denver it would set them apart from the other airlines and would bring them back into competition with the others. Using all 50 seater CRJ2s and E145s while the competition has upgraded to 150 seater MD80 series doesn't bode well for attracting passengers. What I was simply asking was if anyone had a good idea as to why United has been struggling to keep passenger counts and shares up at the airport.

Last edited by SCSUfan; 10-22-2018 at 12:12 AM..

Old 10-23-2018, 12:39 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,437,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
I'm very well aware. Although I'd consider Houston and Dulles a southern hub by technicality. The hub and spoke system still doesn't answer why they're doing so poorly compared to the other airlines...whether it's pricing, service, or aircraft size. They're the only airline that has had stagnant growth (actually they're down in passenger boarding's this year), besides growing numbers at the airport along with being the only airline that hasn't increased aircraft size or frequency year round (outside of the current "football town" stunt). I feel that if they were to add Denver it would set them apart from the other airlines and would bring them back into competition with the others. Using all 50 seater CRJ2s and E145s while the competition has upgraded to 150 seater MD80 series doesn't bode well for attracting passengers. What I was simply asking was if anyone had a good idea as to why United has been struggling to keep passenger counts and shares up at the airport.
I simply think its a management problem since the United and Continental merger. United does appear to be getting it management act together. United is expanding in South Carolina by starting service to Hilton Head, SC next year: Seasonal: Chicago–O'Hare (begins April 6, 2019), Newark (begins April 6, 2019), Washington–Dulles (begin March 31, 2019) Maybe Columbia expansion and aircraft upguage is not far down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area