Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia or Boston?
Philadelphia 99 48.77%
Boston 104 51.23%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 03:22 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N69 View Post
Lets be more generous and give Philadelphia a larger scope of influence, Boston can afford it.
Philadelphia, PA-NJ-DE-MD: $401.6 billion
Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ: $28.5 billion
Lancaster, PA: $18.5 billion
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metro Area $335.1 billion
Reading, PA Metro Area $14.5 billion
Vineland-Millville-Bridgeton, NJ Metro Area $4.8 billion

Technically Philadelphias sphere also includes:

Trenton- $25.4
Atlantic City- $13
Dover- $5.9
Ocean City NJ - $3.9

Delaware Valley- $449.8 B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 03:54 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Default Edinburgh Vs. Glasgow

Today I was having a friendly chat with a older chap from Scotland (in a bar in Center City, watching the rain pour on the Phillies game) who now lives in Philadelphia. Somehow I brought up this thread to the Scotsman. He said:

"Aye, it's exactly like in the old country. Edinburgh versus Glasgow. Edinburgh, the wealthier, cleaner, more attractive city that is favored more by the tourists ... that's Boston. Glasgow, where I'm from, is the bigger, shabbier but industrial, more working class city with more immigrants ... that's Philly."

We can also extrapolate on the rivalry between Beantown and the City of Brotherly Love, by exploring the respective roots that go back to Puritans in Boston and the Quakers in Philadelphia.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:20 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

We can also extrapolate on the rivalry between Beantown and the City of Brotherly Love, by exploring the respective roots that go back to Puritans in Boston and the Quakers in Philadelphia.
Well, but if you take that slant, Quakers would have been all "Live and let live, for the light is in all of us" towards a rival, whereas Puritans would be like "Burn them! Burn them alive!" towards theirs.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:21 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Well, but if you take that slant, Quakers would have been all "Live and let live, for the light is in all of us" towards a rival, whereas Puritans would be like "Burn them! Burn them alive!" towards theirs.
...and the Red Sox were born

Old 08-21-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Today I was having a friendly chat with a older chap from Scotland (in a bar in Center City, watching the rain pour on the Phillies game) who now lives in Philadelphia. Somehow I brought up this thread to the Scotsman. He said:

"Aye, it's exactly like in the old country. Edinburgh versus Glasgow. Edinburgh, the wealthier, cleaner, more attractive city that is favored more by the tourists ... that's Boston. Glasgow, where I'm from, is the bigger, shabbier but industrial, more working class city with more immigrants ... that's Philly."
Interesting comparison especially with the news that Glasgow is standing in for Philadelphia in Brad Pitts new movie World War Z.

The movie was supposed to be shot in Philadelphia but the new Gov screwed up the tax credits so the movie is now being shot in Glasgow Scotland but still has a Philadelphia setting.

Philadelphia err I mean Glasgow posing as Philadelphia.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:01 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
They draw lines based on commuter patterns, so therefore Mecer County is not Part of The Philly area no matter how close it is.
I believe that mercer county is now/soon will be joining the philadelphia CSA in the next census.

Quote:

I think thats exaggerated, i wouldnt put boston on that high of a pedestal, they are virtually equal on all aspects.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

I think thats exaggerated, i wouldnt put boston on that high of a pedestal, they are virtually equal on all aspects.
Center City has come a long way in the past 20 years and is starting to get it. "IT" being the whole self promotion thing. That being said I think it was a fair assessment. National perception is that Boston is a cleaner, wealthier, more educated city than Philly- which is all true.

Now if you are talking just downtowns Philadelphia is right
there or possibly even slightly ahead of Boston imo.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Center City has come a long way in the past 20 years and is starting to get it. "IT" being the whole self promotion thing. That being said I think it was a fair assessment. National perception is that Boston is a cleaner, wealthier, more educated city than Philly- which is all true.

But Boston's Vibrancy spreads further out, Philly has Center City and University City, Parts of Northern Liberties, while Boston Got the Finantial District, back Bay, Chinatown, North End, Central Square(Cambridge) Kendel square and Harvard Square (cambridge)

Old 08-21-2011, 06:26 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

i know boston is cleaner and the city of boston is wealthier, i meant the tourist and attractive to the eye comment, it just made philadelphia seem too much like a rusty old city, which i dont think it is.

I could tell right away that pic was not philadelphia.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
i know boston is cleaner and the city of boston is wealthier, i meant the tourist and attractive to the eye comment, it just made philadelphia seem too much like a rusty old city, which i dont think it is.
Anyone who has been to Philly knows that is False, I mean everyone knows Brick doest rust, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City