Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 10:23 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,903,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Nice job on the rendering! But be careful pardner...there are some real haters on this board.

Be prepared to defend downtown development.
I'm going to go ahead and quote myself as the 4th poster in this thread....

It's just tiring for me to engage in this particular debate (changing city dynamics) with people I know won't give an inch. I used to do it a lot here on CD and it just frustrated me. They are absolutely entitled to their views - and I welcome different opinions but after awhile, it's just not worth it. It's like being frustrated that your cat doesn't act more like a dog ...But these are real issues that absolutely affect those of us who live in Austin (homeowner in 78745 a bit south of the "cool" 04' zone).

As others have stated, there are certain things that all successful cities have that make them progressive and robust: retail, restaurants, personal and public services, various living options, parks, pedestrian safety and mobility and public transportation to name a few. It doesn't matter if it's Paris, Prague, Portland, Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, New York or Munich - these cities have those qualities. And guess what? They're all different and have retained their local flavor while still incorporating certain design qualities.

I've been here 5 years - certainly not as long as others but 5 years is still a lot of time in one's life and I've chosen to stay here and buy. My wife and I love it. And I want to see it grow smartly and develop into the best Austin it can be while retaining its personality AND accommodating the needs and ideas of old and new residents - regardless where they're originally from. I love what's happening downtown even though a.) I don't live in one of the new towers, b.) I don't work downtown, c.) I'm sort of past the point in my life where I'm hanging out in singles clubs and d.) I don't have any direct financial interest in any real estate. I simply like being so close to DT and still enjoy checking out a restaurant, band, or just walking around looking at people during SXSW. As a musician, it's also great to be more centrally located.

I think some people just aren't city people and that's OK. Austin is no longer just a small, funky college town. I also think that many residents who have been here for awhile have found the recent population boom (15 years or so) to be too much for them. The things that made Austin special, personal and comfortable for them are disappearing. That is sad and may well happen to me someday - such is life. But the city cannot stand still or it will decline.

At least people care enough to have these conversations. When that goes away, the city will truly be in trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 10:55 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,743,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Do you have any idea how expensive underground parking in Austin is?
Sure it is expensive but when you have artificial limitations on building heights due to capital corridor restrictions there is no other option besides eating into square footage.......And the building with the first X floors as parking really do look awkward.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:04 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,767,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Sure it is expensive but when you have artificial limitations on building heights due to capital corridor restrictions there is no other option besides eating into square footage.......And the building with the first X floors as parking really do look awkward.
I'm sure this is the reason some choose to go this route...but Austin sits on a bedrock of limestone that is very very very pricey to dig through for underground parking, which is why many buildings opt to go up

Old 08-21-2012, 12:29 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,143,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
I'm going to go ahead and quote myself as the 4th poster in this thread....

It's just tiring for me to engage in this particular debate (changing city dynamics) with people I know won't give an inch. I used to do it a lot here on CD and it just frustrated me. They are absolutely entitled to their views - and I welcome different opinions but after awhile, it's just not worth it. It's like being frustrated that your cat doesn't act more like a dog ...But these are real issues that absolutely affect those of us who live in Austin (homeowner in 78745 a bit south of the "cool" 04' zone).

As others have stated, there are certain things that all successful cities have that make them progressive and robust: retail, restaurants, personal and public services, various living options, parks, pedestrian safety and mobility and public transportation to name a few. It doesn't matter if it's Paris, Prague, Portland, Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, New York or Munich - these cities have those qualities. And guess what? They're all different and have retained their local flavor while still incorporating certain design qualities.

I've been here 5 years - certainly not as long as others but 5 years is still a lot of time in one's life and I've chosen to stay here and buy. My wife and I love it. And I want to see it grow smartly and develop into the best Austin it can be while retaining its personality AND accommodating the needs and ideas of old and new residents - regardless where they're originally from. I love what's happening downtown even though a.) I don't live in one of the new towers, b.) I don't work downtown, c.) I'm sort of past the point in my life where I'm hanging out in singles clubs and d.) I don't have any direct financial interest in any real estate. I simply like being so close to DT and still enjoy checking out a restaurant, band, or just walking around looking at people during SXSW. As a musician, it's also great to be more centrally located.

I think some people just aren't city people and that's OK. Austin is no longer just a small, funky college town. I also think that many residents who have been here for awhile have found the recent population boom (15 years or so) to be too much for them. The things that made Austin special, personal and comfortable for them are disappearing. That is sad and may well happen to me someday - such is life. But the city cannot stand still or it will decline.

At least people care enough to have these conversations. When that goes away, the city will truly be in trouble.
I agree, what makes austin interesting to people who live here is also what makes people want to move here. Ive been here since 97 and I think austin is a much better city than when I got here. Soco, food trucks, 2nd street, 4th street, train line and nationally famous restaurants are all new things. It started with the mayors (kirk watsons?) vision to get 25K people living downtown. Large scale residential with retail on the first floor.

What makes austin great (not necessarily in this order) and relatively different from other cities is
1) laid back culture and relative lack of sophistication, pretentiousness and materialism (compared to other cities)
2) lots of high tech
3) young community
4) outdoor culture - lots of in the city hiking, biking and water sports
5) live music culture
6) bar culture
7) eating out culture
8) liberal, eco friendly culture
9) stable economy because of state and UT
10) intellectual culture

---------------
The city managers/planners/council are working hard to cultivate many of these things with zoning, bonds and other packages.

If any one thing is in jeopardy it is #1. Skyscrapers probably dont violate most of the things, however they can be pretentious, sophisticated and smack of materialism. Maybe thats why THL really doesnt like them.

a 10 story concrete building is much more humble than a fancy 65 story glass/steel tower.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:52 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,529,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
I'm sure this is the reason some choose to go this route...but Austin sits on a bedrock of limestone that is very very very pricey to dig through for underground parking, which is why many buildings opt to go up
I hear you, but I still think it's a colossal waste of space to have 8 floors of parking. For example, the Comerica Bank building at 6th and Lavaca only has about 5 floors of real space when you take away all the parking levels. That's hardly a high rise, in my opinion.

It seems to me that if Austin wants to become a big, vibrant city, it's going to have to find a more efficient way to build these high rises.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:23 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,061,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Well... I live in 78701, so I think I'm qualified?
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Check! We have one real Austin resident. Someone who can actually vote in city elections, pays city taxes, and can even get an Austin library card. Your opinion should matter more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Well, my parents do anyways. I'm only 17. Lol. Zing!
I would disagree that a high-schooler, teenager, is qualified, no matter the location. Too much inexperience in most instances, sorry.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:27 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,061,642 times
What about this, which has Williamson County but not Travis? Where are all of these people moving here for those jobs supposed to live? In downtown?

Where the jobs are - Loudoun County, VA (1) - Money Magazine

Old 08-21-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
What about this, which has Williamson County but not Travis? Where are all of these people moving here for those jobs supposed to live? In downtown?

Where the jobs are - Loudoun County, VA (1) - Money Magazine
The point about developing the CBD is that the people and jobs ARE coming. Like it or not. And if we don't densify the urban core of Austin, they will still come, and they will spread out all over Williams County, Hays County, and points beyond. We can choose to make Austin not only an attractive place for people to work, but also to live and play in. Or we can make central Texas a giant super-freeway taking people as quickly as possible (which in the next 2 or 3 decades won't be quickly at all) in their Suburbans to their suburban house on half acre lots in such thrilling burbs as Leander, Cedar Park, Kyle.

Grow up or grow out - those are the choices.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:24 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,321,827 times
Quote:
I would disagree that a high-schooler, teenager, is qualified, no matter the location. Too much inexperience in most instances, sorry.
The hell I'm not. I was born in this city, and I will most likely die in it. I've never lived more than 1000ft. from DT, minus the two years I spent in Tokyo. This city is my home and I have "experienced" this city more than 4/5ths of the Austinites in this city. You have no right to tell me I'm not "qualified" to comment. You don't even live in Austin anymore I don't know what it is with old fogies like you who think there is an age of which youth are able to comment on important matters. There isn't.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
You realize he started this very informative thread, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin