Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 04:19 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,320,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
No, I'm talking about the money you lost when my generation decided certain businesses were too big to fail, yet government was somehow not big enough. We thank you in advance for picking up the tab.

And all the more reason your opinion matters more! Need to keep the future workforce happy.
Haha I know what you meant I was just joking with you. I look at today's problems as challenging, but doable if Y,Z, and Alpha can form a coalition and thrust this country into the 21st century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 05:20 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,457,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Looks good. But you know you Austinites can say goodbye to this one:
6th & Congress (which was going to be the new tallest in the city) has been cancelled, for those of you who don't know. Shame, too. I would have loved to see it. The property is being sold.
Goodbye, farewell, sayonara, aloha, hasta la vista.

I appreciate good modern design, good architecture, and ... ugghh... good riddance to that one! What a goofy thing that would have been!

Old 08-21-2012, 09:29 PM

There's lame goofy design, and well-done goofy design. That was very well done goofy design. Makes me laugh just looking at it again.

Last edited by Debsi; 08-22-2012 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: removed deleted post reference

Old 08-21-2012, 09:30 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,918,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Goodbye, farewell, sayonara, aloha, hasta la vista.

I appreciate good modern design, good architecture, and ... ugghh... good riddance to that one! What a goofy thing that would have been!
Hey.... it was different. And I'd take 'goofy' over ugly-as-hell concrete any day.

Besides, someone else is buying that property. There will be something there, but it'll be different.

Thing is, you may not like what else is there even more than what you just saw there.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:19 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,871,415 times
Quote:
Of course it does. There's lame goofy design, and well-done goofy design. That was very well done goofy design. Makes me laugh just looking at it again.
You probably say that about any tall building that gets built.

Moderator cut: keep discussion to topic, not other posters

Last edited by Debsi; 08-22-2012 at 12:22 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
You probably say that about any tall building that gets built.
Absolutely not. (And that's called an ad hominem, when you try to win an argument by making personal comments about the other person.) As I said earlier, I'm a fan of modern art and good modern architecture, but that doesn't mean that I automatically like everything I see. That one was just the goofiest looking thing I can remember. Sorry.

Because I have excellent visualization skills, I already have a good idea what buildings will look like on site from their renderings. That's why I'm so opposed to the Planetarium Tower proposal. It's not that the building design itself is bad, it's just that particular design in that particular location that's bad. The proposed height is simply out of scale for the neighborhood, and the height would also mess up the front view of the capitol building looking up Congress Avenue, because that site is directly behind it. Once the public becomes aware of that particular aspect of the project I think it will be dead in the water in no time. People don't like folks messing with the way the Capitol looks... even if it is getting to be that you have to stand in the middle of Congress to see it at all.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:53 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,871,415 times
Quote:
Absolutely not. (And that's called an ad hominem, when you try to win an argument by making personal comments about the other person.) As I said earlier, I'm a fan of modern art and good modern architecture, but that doesn't mean that I automatically like everything I see. That one was just the goofiest looking thing I can remember. Sorry.

Because I have excellent visualization skills, I already have a good idea what buildings will look like on site from their renderings. That's why I'm so opposed to the Planetarium Tower proposal. It's not that the building design itself is bad, it's just that particular design in that particular location that's bad. The proposed height is simply out of scale for the neighborhood, and the height would also mess up the front view of the capitol building looking up Congress Avenue, because that site is directly behind it. Once the public becomes aware of that particular aspect of the project I think it will be dead in the water in no time. People don't like folks messing with the way the Capitol looks... even if it is getting to be that you have to stand in the middle of Congress to see it at all.
How is it a personal insult to your character when I say that you probably say that about any building? Nonetheless, fair enough... I personally didn't think the T Stacey Tower was all that great either. It's just that I hear it over and over from so many people that no matter how great the architecture is people will speak of it negatively just because its a skyscraper. And as I've said before, I also respect your dislike for the Planetarium. It's understandable to dislike it for being in the way of the Capitol, having a strange modernist architecture and also for being oddly placed. I personally don't mind it and I feel it will give way to making it more cohesive between downtown and UT. And being that there is virtually no scene, or vibrancy of any sort I feel the Planetarium will bring more good than do harm.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:33 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,058,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
The hell I'm not. I was born in this city, and I will most likely die in it. I've never lived more than 1000ft. from DT, minus the two years I spent in Tokyo. This city is my home and I have "experienced" this city more than 4/5ths of the Austinites in this city. You have no right to tell me I'm not "qualified" to comment. You don't even live in Austin anymore I don't know what it is with old fogies like you who think there is an age of which youth are able to comment on important matters. There isn't.
I did not mean inexperienced/uneducated on Austin, but on other places (possible exception of Tokyo as you mentioned) to compare. You've shared some not-so-nice opinions on other places here. And I'm not an oldie, unless you consider 30's old. And what makes you think I'm no longer in Austin? No, I'm no longer central or near DT, but was for many years.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:47 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,320,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I did not mean inexperienced/uneducated on Austin, but on other places (possible exception of Tokyo as you mentioned) to compare. You've shared some not-so-nice opinions on other places here. And I'm not an oldie, unless you consider 30's old. And what makes you think I'm no longer in Austin? No, I'm no longer central or near DT, but was for many years.
I've been all over the world and all over this country. If anything, I'm probably more "experienced" than you on that.
And yes, 30s is relatively old.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,058,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I've been all over the world and all over this country. If anything, I'm probably more "experienced" than you on that.
And yes, 30s is relatively old.
I disagree, and you are making assumptions, again. I've also been all over the country and to multiple other countries, as have many my age.
"Old" is relative, but it also means I've had real world work experience in multiple locations and cities, and have traveled for not just pleasure but for business.... rather than having just vacation or childhood experiences in other places. This fact shouldn't be disqualified or shunned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin