Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 07:00 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,093,540 times

Advertisements

What can be build in the "capital district wasteland" is controlled by the capital view corridore. The NE is fairly off limits.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 07:32 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,526,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I don't see how it would be possible to have the plaza, plus an architecturally interesting 150,000 sq foot planetarium plus midrise residential all on the same block limited to under 9 stories tall.
Wait, who said anything about limiting it to 9 stories? That's a "strawman" argument, setting up a phony "either/or" comparison that does not exist. The existing buildings around the site are taller than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Midrise residentials take up whole blocks.
Yes, where they do. But not, where they don't. I'm absolutely clear, from traveling all over tarnation, that viable projects have been done in every size and shape.

What I would do, if I were a supporter of the Planetarium project, is to go back to the other folks and say... ok, how can we do this in a manner that scales well to the neighborhood? Because if that is not possible, then we really ought to be looking for a different location, or a different package.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:40 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,512,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Wait, who said anything about limiting it to 9 stories? That's a "strawman" argument, setting up a phony "either/or" comparison that does not exist. The existing buildings around the site are taller than that.

Yes, where they do. But not, where they don't. I'm absolutely clear, from traveling all over tarnation, that viable projects have been done in every size and shape.

What I would do, if I were a supporter of the Planetarium project, is to go back to the other folks and say... ok, how can we do this in a manner that scales well to the neighborhood? Because if that is not possible, then we really ought to be looking for a different location, or a different package.
Exactly.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:53 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,777,273 times
Quote:

You've never once explained why the new project needs to scale to the worst land use in central Texas. Are you really concerned about protecting the character of what amounts to be the worlds most inappropriately placed office park?

Ism the better course of action to realize the horrible mistakes that were made in the 1970s abd 1980s and do everything we can to correct that?

Old 08-23-2012, 09:06 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,777,273 times
Quote:

Lots of projects don't "scale" to neighborhood but end up providing a dramatic counter point, think of the Eiffel Tower or La Sagrada Familia for example

Old 08-23-2012, 09:09 AM

547 posts, read 1,436,964 times
Really cool. Thanks for posting these renderings.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:19 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,512,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
You've never once explained why the new project needs to scale to the worst land use in central Texas. Are you really concerned about protecting the character of what amounts to be the worlds most inappropriately placed office park?

Ism the better course of action to realize the horrible mistakes that were made in the 1970s abd 1980s and do everything we can to correct that?
Sure, but that doesn't automatically mean skyscrapers.

Interesting take on it here.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:20 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,074,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
What can be build in the "capital district wasteland" is controlled by the capital view corridore. The NE is fairly off limits.
Yep, so case closed on that, unless it's ever changed.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:57 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,599,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Sure, but that doesn't automatically mean skyscrapers.

Interesting take on it here.
I would agree with skyscrapers not automatically being the answer, but the deal is that downtown Austin already has just as much midrise as highrise development, and guess what? The demand for highrises is still there. It's not like people are being forced to build and live in them. People want to live in and near downtown. Density develops from a central point of interest outward, not all over the city as you're wanting to be the case.

Outside of downtown and West Campus, I just don't see midrise development taking root except for maybe the East Side. If homes in Clarksville, Barton Hills, and Travis Heights started disappearing in favor of midrises, can you imagine the uproar? I could see you at the front lines of that fight. I'm not sure there's any winning with you. I personally would rather see more highrises downtown than some of the beautiful homes around central Austin go.

I personally don't see how highrises downtown are detracting from Austin's character. Austin is practically unique in America in that its skyline is mostly residential, and it's a testament to its vibrancy, livability, and culture. No amount of glass and steel is going to change that, so I'm not sure why you're so opposed.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:51 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,657,969 times
I still want an example of a city that has prioritized mid-sized development with an expanding population. Certainly not saying it isn't possible but a concrete example might help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin