Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 06:20 PM

709 posts, read 1,401,412 times

Advertisements

You rock! =)

Mostly I want to see how far out the Planetarium will be. Here is the view from my living room deck that I took during the Bastrop fires last year.

You can see the Cambridge Tower Condos about half way between the Capitol and UT Tower. The first little building to the right from the Dobie. I think it will be directly behind the Cambridge looking at it from home. So it would be interesting to see how it looks way over there in that part of downtown? Also it being 655 feet tall, however the block being a much higher elevation than the CBD towers like the Austonian, I am wondering if it will look taller than the Austonian even though it is shorter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 07:02 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
On this photo, isn't there going to be some condos there on Barton springs along that inlet to town lake on the right, or will they be set back further out of view?

Old 08-17-2012, 07:08 PM

I just went out on the deck and took some more. I tried to get some of the current construction areas DT and at UT. Our puppy was a great help so took a couple of him too. =)

Here is UT and West Campus. There are some cranes and construction you can see.

WC by BevoLJ, on Flickr

UT by BevoLJ, on Flickr

Here is the CBD and Downtown. You can see the Gabels crane in the foreground in the middle in front of the Austonian and the Whitley Building's crane down 3rd Street. The Hyatt crane they took down last week. But you can see a sliver of the SUPER UGLY wall they just put up just between the W and Austonian. Thank GOD the W is in front of that wall for us so we don't have to look at it! Once the JW is finished it should be out of our view for good. =)

CBD by BevoLJ, on Flickr

DT by BevoLJ, on Flickr

And here is our helper who tried to get as much in my way as possible! Getting him to say still for the pictures was no easy task!

Willy by BevoLJ, on Flickr

Willy2 by BevoLJ, on Flickr

Last edited by BevoLJ; 08-17-2012 at 07:17 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 07:21 PM

Here is where I think the Planetarium will be.

Plane2 by BevoLJ, on Flickr

Old 08-17-2012, 07:56 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
^That last photo of your dog really looks like he posed for it!

As for the ugly wall you refer to.... they should just plant some vines.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:01 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Looks pretty cool.

Anybody remember the 1959 skyline pic which I took from just south of I-35 & Riverside & posted almost 2 years ago?

Old 08-17-2012, 08:24 PM

578 posts, read 1,228,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Here is where I think the Planetarium will be.

Plane2 by BevoLJ, on Flickr
It would be located just behind the cluster of buildings to the right of where you placed it from that angle, closer to the Wells Fargo/William Clements building cluster...cute puppy by the way.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
^That last photo of your dog really looks like he posed for it!

As for the ugly wall you refer to.... they should just plant some vines.
Hehe, thanks. I think he was getting scared of me by then. Thinking I was crazy or something because I was starting to get very frustrated with him for not staying. Every time I would back up to the door and sit he would start running to me before I could get my camera up. I got like 8 of him getting up or running to me, and only 3 of him sitting. lol.

On SSP someone took a picture of the "Great Wall of Pure Uglyness" of the new Hyatt a couple days ago. It would take a lot of vines. Someone said they plan on putting the Hyatt logo on there. Others are suggesting they hire some of the graffiti artist to go to town on it, but fear if they do that then the graffiti would become to popular and no one would be allowed to build on the spot next to it and cover it up.

Photo taken by corvairkeith on Skyscraper Page Forums: Hyatt Place | 207 FT | 17 Floors | U/C - Page 4 - SkyscraperPage Forum

Here is the front of it:

Photo taken by corvairkeith on Skyscraper Page Forums: Hyatt Place | 207 FT | 17 Floors | U/C - Page 4 - SkyscraperPage Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Looks pretty cool.

Anybody remember the 1959 skyline pic which I took from just south of I-35 & Riverside & posted almost 2 years ago?
I think I saw that posted on SSP or Shag? Didn't you also have a good one from the old Breckenridge Hospital? The original one that was there before the current one that they now want to tier down was built? Or maybe that was The General who posted that one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
It would be located just behind the cluster of buildings to the right of where you placed it from that angle, closer to the Wells Fargo/William Clements building cluster...cute puppy by the way.
Oh, ok. Thanks. That makes sense. It is going to be right next to the Railroad Commission. And I think that is the RR Commission right between the Well Fargo which is on 15th street and the Cambridge which is on MLK.

Last edited by BevoLJ; 08-17-2012 at 09:01 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 09:26 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
My first reaction was, it looks remarkably like Dallas as I remember it back in the day.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:25 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
My first reaction was, it looks remarkably like Dallas as I remember it back in the day.
That's because I only put up blocks instead of the actual designs. Zing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin