Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 06:50 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,835,075 times

Advertisements

MRV,
As far as the elk population... griz, the winter, hunting and drought are the biggest killers. Since wolves were gone, about 75 years ago, the number of elk and bison have exploded. Bison have to venture outside of the park to find food and the state of Montana shoots them out of fear of Brucilosis, even tho the disease has never be transferred from bison to cattle. They call it a hunt but its like shooting parked cars. The ironic fact is the disease was brought to this country by cattlemen bringing in cattle from Europe years ago and they transferred the disease to wildlife.

I have personally witnessed: Wolf kills where elk and small elk herds were killed. And only several bite out of a hind quarter or nose were ate. I do know cougar will only eat noses sometimes. But cougar don't leave tracks like a wolf. I also have seen hillsides in the early spring as I was hunting blackbear. Where many elk calves were partially eaten. It is a sad site to sit and glass a hill side and see as much bloodlust destructon by wolves and not want to shoot one if you see it.
And now your living far away from this and rely on the written stories and "studies" you want to believe. As do many. Though you are right on some of your insights. You have left some out, or didn't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 07:34 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,829,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
MRV,
As far as the elk population... griz, the winter, hunting and drought are the biggest killers. Since wolves were gone, about 75 years ago, the number of elk and bison have exploded. Bison have to venture outside of the park to find food and the state of Montana shoots them out of fear of Brucilosis, even tho the disease has never be transferred from bison to cattle. They call it a hunt but its like shooting parked cars. The ironic fact is the disease was brought to this country by cattlemen bringing in cattle from Europe years ago and they transferred the disease to wildlife.

I have personally witnessed: Wolf kills where elk and small elk herds were killed. And only several bite out of a hind quarter or nose were ate. I do know cougar will only eat noses sometimes. But cougar don't leave tracks like a wolf. I also have seen hillsides in the early spring as I was hunting blackbear. Where many elk calves were partially eaten. It is a sad site to sit and glass a hill side and see as much bloodlust destructon by wolves and not want to shoot one if you see it.
And now your living far away from this and rely on the written stories and "studies" you want to believe. As do many. Though you are right on some of your insights. You have left some out, or didn't know.
I hear what your saying, the natural world can be brutal. I feel there are alot of emotional responses to what is going on and yes, I do read the data from both state and fed biologists and feel they are objective observers(I am sure you disagree) and the fact so many wolves are radio collared should give them a good idea where the wolves are going. Personal accounts from someone like yourself are important as well.

There has always been a point of contention between what the biologists report and what local ranchers and hunters experience. I am none of those, just an interested observer who tries to take in all the info out there.

The bottom line is that the barn door is already wide open so I hope everyone concerned can work together and improve the situation for the wolves, wildlife, hunters and ranchers.

If it turns out that the wolf program ends up screwing things up it certainly would not be the first time. I remember 25 years ago I used to travel up to Glacier NP to photograph the eagle migration along McDonald Creek in the late fall. It was am amazing sight to see, sometimes as many as 100 eagles feeding on the salmon in a 200 section of creek.

Along comes the fed biologists who figure that if they put a shrimp like animal in the lake below McDonald Creek, can't remember exactly, what it was but their idea was that the salmon would feed on the little shrimp creatures and thrive. Well, the shrimp ended up competeing with the salmon for food and the salmon basically disappeared and so did the eagles. That was many years ago, maybe the situation has been fixed, don't know.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 06-11-2007 at 07:44 AM..

Old 06-15-2007, 12:01 AM

4 posts, read 19,238 times
People are varmints, the worst kind. They keep breeding uncontrollably. Bird flu should get them soon and settle things up.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:49 PM

74 posts, read 313,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Bean View Post
People are varmints, the worst kind. They keep breeding uncontrollably. Bird flu should get them soon and settle things up.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:13 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,214,278 times
logicskier ...

why is it that "people" are the "varmints" here, yet in LaCrosse, WI (where you posted about having lived there) ...

it's a beautiful town with the 4 and a 2 year schools there attracting the younger crowd? (which, incidentally, is the result of people having children, isn't it?)

Something's not consistent about your thinking ... or are you hoping that the "bird flu" will wipe them out, too?

Old 06-16-2007, 12:25 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,086,450 times
Default Varmints?

A good .17 cal. 3 by 9. A sandwich. It's a good morning.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:25 PM

2 posts, read 9,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
A good .17 cal. 3 by 9. A sandwich. It's a good morning.
Now you're talking jgussler. I spent a lot of time in Southern Wyoming back in the 80's near Green River and Rock Springs. I fondly remember blasting chislers with a .223, back then Wyoming was simply being overrun by these critters and ranchers had no problem letting you on their land to do a little "culling".

Old 06-17-2007, 08:59 AM

74 posts, read 313,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
logicskier ...

why is it that "people" are the "varmints" here, yet in LaCrosse, WI (where you posted about having lived there) ...

it's a beautiful town with the 4 and a 2 year schools there attracting the younger crowd? (which, incidentally, is the result of people having children, isn't it?)

Something's not consistent about your thinking ... or are you hoping that the "bird flu" will wipe them out, too?
Why?

I have lived in 7 states, from Hawaii to Wyoming; I have lived in 12 towns/cities from 3,000 persons to millions. Wyoming is the least friendly state of them all and my point was that "varmit shootin" is a commentary on what wyoming is really like. With over ten years in the state; graduating high school in wyoming, attending college in wyoming (before leaving for a far superior school to get my degree) and I only recently moved (2001) gives me much freedom in my point of view of the state.

If you do not like it, I am sorry. People come to this forum to better help them understand an area before they committ to a move or to get an understanding of what they have got themselves into. If you do not like what I have to say about "your" state them I suggest you ignore my posts.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:36 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,214,278 times
Well now ... that certainly explains the whole rationale behind your thinking.

You've been in Wyoming long enough to know it's not a nice place, the people are unfriendly, and that you wish the people should simply die of bird flu ....

and the folks in Wisconsin and all the 11 other places you've lived are simply wonderful.

Interesting how your attitude is at odds with most of the people who post here, including many who ... due to various reasons ... now live somewhere else. Or the responses from people who've come to visit Wyoming. Or the people who are planning to move here.

Indeed, you certainly let them know all about the bad aspects of Wyoming .....

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion. It was just such a glaring disparity in your views without any supporting information that made the Wyoming post stand out.

I, for one, am thankful that you've made your escape from this place and got a better education somewhere else ....

Old 06-17-2007, 05:31 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,086,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricduncan View Post
Now you're talking jgussler. I spent a lot of time in Southern Wyoming back in the 80's near Green River and Rock Springs. I fondly remember blasting chislers with a .223, back then Wyoming was simply being overrun by these critters and ranchers had no problem letting you on their land to do a little "culling".
You got it! Today was a wonderful day. Me, grandson, some lumps in the cooler, a couple of fishing poles. We didn't catch nothing. But we had a wonderful day. It was a bit windy. Course, this is Wyoming, what do you expect? haha Just a really good day.

Tomorrow, the rugar is coming out. Need to warm it up a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming