Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 07:44 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,389 times

Advertisements

I'm going to guess tie hacking, first regulated in 1891 with the passage of the Yellowstone Park Timberland Reserve, passed for its watershed protection provisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 08:15 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
I'm going to guess tie hacking, first regulated in 1891 with the passage of the Yellowstone Park Timberland Reserve, passed for its watershed protection provisions.
I don't know if you're right or not, but that's a great guess that I hadn't considered.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:46 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Quote:
You got it! You're up!

Tie Industry - The construction of the first transcontinental railroad across southern Wyoming, in 1867-68 was the catalyst for the development of the railroad tie industry.

This industry spawned a unique high country way of life that continued into the 1940's. By 1867, the basic components of a great industry came together in what is now SouthEastern Wyoming. Large stands of lodgepole pine in the Laramie and Medicine Bow Ranges adjacent to the right-of-way of the Union Pacific were the first significant stands of timber encountered after crossing the Great Plains. The "tie hack" with his broadax was the key figure in this industry. He hewed ties from the native stands of lodepole pine and delivered the finished product to market by means of a now legendary spring tie drives.

Region one, the Medicine Bow Region, primarily consisted of the Medicine Bow Range and the Sierra Madre Range to the west.

Region two, the upper Green River region, consisted of the west slope of the Wind River Range near the headwaters of the Green River and the east slope of the Wyoming Range west of Big Piney and LaBarge.

Region three, the upper Wind River region was located along the east slope of the Wind River Range and the southwestern slope of the Absaroka Range. This region did not develop until the early twentieth century and utilized the Wind River to drive ties to Riverton.

Region four, the Bighorn Mountain region, was located generally on the east slope of the Bighorn Mountain Range. The Woodrock District.

http://wyoshpo.state.wy.us/pdf/TieHackCampsBighorns.pdf

Old 04-01-2014, 09:32 PM

Ouch! Went through coal mining, gold mining, trapping, trading and underwater basket weaving before I stumbled on that one...

Next question: What is the longest river in the US that has no dams?

Old 04-03-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Ouch! Went through coal mining, gold mining, trapping, trading and underwater basket weaving before I stumbled on that one...

Next question: What is the longest river in the US that has no dams?
And is also located in Wyoming? The Yellowstone River.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:16 PM

Yup. The longest undammed river in the world is the Amazon, but this is the wrong board for that.

It's the Yellowstone, and that means you're up!

Old 04-03-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Yup. The longest undammed river in the world is the Amazon, but this is the wrong board for that.

It's the Yellowstone, and that means you're up!
I knew I had to be close because at least it had water. I wasn't really planning on being up yet. Let's see.....

For the old Fur Trappers, there were 16 recorded rendevous sites in Wyoming. Of those, 13 were held West of the Continental Divide. Obviously, Wyoming wasn't a state yet, nor was it much of a Territory.

Six of the Sixteen rendevous were held in a Territory belonging to who?

Old 04-05-2014, 12:55 PM

Oh oh. Guess I'd better clear it up some, haven't even gotten any bites and that worrys me.

Rendevous were voted on by the trappers, and several tribes of Indians that gathered for them. They had standards to go by, like available water, available grassland to feed their livestock, abundant hunting, etc.... All of this was decided upon, voted on, and then planned for the next year. These rendevous were held all over Western Montana, but one particular area had only 6 rendevous. These 6 were held in Green River Valley, near present day Daniel Wyoming. Who did the land belong to?

Old 04-07-2014, 03:13 PM

Ok, no bites yet, so I'll give another clue. Tonight, I leave town for a couple days, so hopefully somebody gets it today.

Below the 42nd.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:04 PM

Ok, I guess I'll have to spill the beans on this one.

The thirteen of the sixteen Rocky Mountain Rendezvous were held west of the Continental Divide. The 1829, 1830, and 1838 rendezvous were held east of the Continental Divide. Six of the sixteen rendezvous were held in territory belonging to Mexico. Except the 1826-27-28 rendezvous in Utah and the 1832 in Idaho, all of the rendezvous were held in Wyoming. Six of the sixteen rendezvous were held on Horse Creek in the Green River Valley near present-day Daniel, Wyoming...there was no rendezvous in 1831. All of the rendezvous were held in the territory of the Shoshone, or Snake, Indians.

After the 1825 rendezvous, the next year's rendezvous site was selected during the rendezvous. The selected sites were in a lush valley big enough for up to five hundred mountain men, several thousand Indians, and grazing and water for thousands of horses. Members of the Shoshone, Crow, Nez Perce, and Flathead nations attended most of the rendezvous. Another consideration was the site be readily accessible to the supply trains from St. Louis.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, here is the new one:

What town in Wyoming is considered the "Hub of the Oregon Trail"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming