Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 09:52 PM

23 posts, read 26,442 times

Advertisements

It is indeed Alaska! Your turn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 03:24 AM

1,983 posts, read 1,709,086 times
Hope this one hasn't been done - I looked in the past and didn't see it.

Cheyenne is the state capitol and the largest city (by population) in Wyoming. So here is the multiple part question:

Who named it, when, what does the word mean and why did they name it the way they did?

Old 03-30-2014, 02:51 AM

Hint #1: Sigorney Weaver made a movie by this name...

Old 03-30-2014, 03:49 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,195,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
Hope this one hasn't been done - I looked in the past and didn't see it.

Cheyenne is the state capitol and the largest city (by population) in Wyoming. So here is the multiple part question:

Who named it, when, what does the word mean and why did they name it the way they did?
It was friends of General Dodge that actually named the town. Not sure exactly when the name came up, but the town was platted on July 5, 1867. The friends named it after the Great Plains Indian Tribes/nation, Cheyenne. This was all done at the area that Dodge called "Crow Creek Crossing", which was chosen for the Union Railroad crossing Crow Creek.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:56 PM

EH:

You get 50% credit - you got parts two and four right. It was 1867 and it was named after the great plains Indian Tribe - called the Dzitsistes. Entitles you to a lunch at our favorite Chinese restaurant.

Who named it is still in the hunt, and the Sigorney Weaver hint still works for the literal translation of the word...

Old 03-30-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
EH:

You get 50% credit - you got parts two and four right. It was 1867 and it was named after the great plains Indian Tribe - called the Dzitsistes. Entitles you to a lunch at our favorite Chinese restaurant.

Who named it is still in the hunt, and the Sigorney Weaver hint still works for the literal translation of the word...
Oh, well I went with this information:

On July 5, 1867, General Grenville M. Dodge and his survey crew platted the site now known as Cheyenne in Dakota Territory (later Wyoming Territory). This site was chosen as the point at which the Union Pacific Railroad crossed Crow Creek, a tributary of the South Platte River. The city was not named by Dodge, as his memoirs state, but rather by friends who accompanied him to the area Dodge called "Crow Creek Crossing.[citation needed]" It was named for the American Indian Cheyenne nation, one of the most famous and prominent Great Plains tribes closely allied with the Arapaho.

Another source said:

Magic City of the Plains
The City of Cheyenne had its beginning in 1867, when the Union Pacific Railroad came through on its way to the west coast. The town site was first surveyed by General Grenville Dodge and was named for an Indian tribe that roamed the area (originally called ‘Shey’ an’ nah’, belonging to the tribe of Alogonquian, the largest family of Indians on the North American Continent). Settlement came so fast that the nickname "Magic City of the Plains" was adopted.

That was the best I could come up with in short notice. haha

I'll be in town this week. Chinese sounds good.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:22 AM

Okay, I'll give. Fought to a draw with competing sources.

From the city's official fact sheet, it reads: "History: On July 4, 1867, the first tents were pitched on the site now known as Cheyenne. The Sioux Indians gave the name Cheyenne, which means "aliens" or "people of foreign language" to the Indian tribe "Dzitsistes," who roamed the open plains in the region. [[i]emphasis added[i]]

The first residents were men who moved west to work on the Union Pacific Railroad. By 1869, Cheyenne was home to a variety of residents, including railroad gangs, soldiers from Fort D.A. Russell (which is now F.E. Warren Air Force Base) and employees from Camp Carlin, a supply camp for all the northern posts on the Indian frontier."

You're up, EH; I've got to get back to work!

Old 03-31-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Okay, I'll give. Fought to a draw with competing sources.

From the city's official fact sheet, it reads: "History: On July 4, 1867, the first tents were pitched on the site now known as Cheyenne. The Sioux Indians gave the name Cheyenne, which means "aliens" or "people of foreign language" to the Indian tribe "Dzitsistes," who roamed the open plains in the region. [[i]emphasis added[i]]

The first residents were men who moved west to work on the Union Pacific Railroad. By 1869, Cheyenne was home to a variety of residents, including railroad gangs, soldiers from Fort D.A. Russell (which is now F.E. Warren Air Force Base) and employees from Camp Carlin, a supply camp for all the northern posts on the Indian frontier."

You're up, EH; I've got to get back to work!
I too found conflicting info. One source said that Dodge's group, along with track workers, made a camp of approximately 600 people, so the town was platted. Another source said that Cheyenne, at that time was over 6,000 people and most were not track layers. I can't imagine that many people there, at that time. Also, in some of the journals, they mentioned that Cheyenne was perfect in weather, with good grass "gently blowing in the breeze." I'm thinking whiskey was part of their supply chain.

Thanks Rescue3, here's the next one.

What industry created the following regions, and what year did it become regulated?

Medicine Bow Area, 1867-1940
Upper Green River Area, 1867-1952
Upper Wind River Area, 1913-1947
The Bighorn Mountains, 1891-1933

Old 03-31-2014, 08:24 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,182,121 times
I'll say the railroad... and 1890

Old 03-31-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
I'll say the railroad... and 1890
And I'd say, nope. Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming