Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 02:02 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,706,836 times

Advertisements

CptnRn - you are exactly correct. Mr. Sullivan still practices law in Casper and Denver.

You're up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 09:43 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,179,496 times
OK, next question:

Regarding the Sand Creek Massacre:
Quote:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_Creek_massacre The Sand Creek Massacre (also known as the Chivington Massacre, the Battle of Sand Creek or the Massacre of Cheyenne Indians) was an incident in the Indian Wars of the United States that occurred on November 29, 1864, when a 700-man force of Colorado Territory militia attacked and destroyed a village of friendly Cheyenne and Arapaho encamped in southeastern Colorado Territory,[3] killing and mutilating an estimated 70–163 Indians, about two-thirds of whom were women and children.
Following the sand creek massacre in Colorado, large numbers of Indian tribes relocated to Wyoming to get away from the hostilities. An Indian village of 9,000-10,000 people and at least 3 tribes formed along the shores of a Wyoming river. Where was this village located?

Last edited by CptnRn; 09-25-2011 at 10:05 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
OK, next question:

Regarding the Sand Creek Massacre: Following the sand creek massacre in Colorado, large numbers of Indian tribes relocated to Wyoming to get away from the hostilities. An Indian village of 9,000-10,000 people and at least 3 tribes formed along the shores of a Wyoming river. Where was this village located?
Hint:

Quote:
The town was made of tipis, not houses, and so in historical accounts it’s called a village. But it was a town, all right, with nine or ten thousand people, a town council and a police force, horse corrals, and big pony herds stretching in all directions beyond its edges.

If George Bent had climbed a hill, he would have seen a town in three parts. Furthest down the river was a group of around 1,000 tipis, pitched in no particular pattern. These belonged to the Oglala Lakota people, called Sioux by their enemies. A family of six or eight people lived in each tipi. Furthest up the river was a smaller group, perhaps 200 lodges. These belonged to Arapaho people. In the middle was a middle-sized group, much different from the others. Its 600 or so tipis were arranged in a huge circle, with a gap in the circle open toward the mountains and the northwest. These were George Bent’s people, the Cheyennes. About half of these tipis were made of buffalo hide, and beautifully painted. The rest were canvas. In the middle of the circle was a large open area, with two tipis pitched side by side at its center.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:05 PM

You might have me with this one. But I'll take a guess.

I can't find any reference to 9,000 + Indians in attendance in 1865, but about 500 Arapaho under chiefs Black Bear and Medicine Man were packing up their village along the Tongue River when General Conner attacked them.

Various sources have the Arapaho moving up to north central Wyoming along with the Cheyenne and Sioux into the Powder River basin following the Sand Creek Massacre in 1864. After the Battle of Tongue River, the Powder River expedition to weaken the Indians pretty much came to an end.

So I'm going to guess you are talking about the Powder River Basin area generally and the Tongue River specifically in northern Sheridan County, just outside of Ranchester.

The only other large Indian populations I can find in that time frame is Wind River Reservation, and everything I found suggests that the Indians were put there - as opposed to moved there of their own volition.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:43 PM

Yesssss!

I was right. But I didn't get it from thje same source you did - I pieced it together from about a dozen sources.

You word 'tipis' got me the answer straight off. Heckuva question, that.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
You might have me with this one. But I'll take a guess.

I can't find any reference to 9,000 + Indians in attendance in 1865, but about 500 Arapaho under chiefs Black Bear and Medicine Man were packing up their village along the Tongue River when General Conner attacked them.

Various sources have the Arapaho moving up to north central Wyoming along with the Cheyenne and Sioux into the Powder River basin following the Sand Creek Massacre in 1864. After the Battle of Tongue River, the Powder River expedition to weaken the Indians pretty much came to an end.

So I'm going to guess you are talking about the Powder River Basin area generally and the Tongue River specifically in northern Sheridan County, just outside of Ranchester.

The only other large Indian populations I can find in that time frame is Wind River Reservation, and everything I found suggests that the Indians were put there - as opposed to moved there of their own volition.
YES! Excellent work. You got it right. I thought this would be a tough one, but thought ElkHunter might possibly get it since this all happened right down the road from where he has been living (halfway between Ranchester and Dayton).

There is a very interesting article about the "gathering" here:
Gathering the Tribes: The Cheyennes come together after Sand Creek | WyoHistory.org

Quote:
The Tongue River in northern Wyoming must have been as beautiful as it is now when George Bent saw it in 1865, with big, lazy curves under cottonwoods, the grass thickening on its banks and the trees sending out their first green shoots in early May. Nowadays, irrigated hay fields and the tiny towns of Dayton and Ranchester lie along the river. In May of 1865, however, one stretch of it was packed with human beings. That month, there was as large a town on the Tongue as that river has ever seen.
Quote:
That summer the wars started up again, and the tribes attacked Platte Bridge Station and killed Lt. Caspar Collins. But the winter and spring of 1865 were long remembered by George Bent and by all the Cheyennes as a time of great power, when the people were together and the two sacred tipis could be pitched side by side.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:07 PM

If the water had gotten any higher this June, ElkHunter could have fished the Tongue River from his porch. Ha Ha.

Okay, let me go think of the next one.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:22 PM

Okay, here's the next one:

In the early 1900s, this 26 year-old gentleman robbed his first train with a mere nickel in his pocket - seeking just enough money to make it through the winter. He later robbed another train and, when several innocent men were jailed in his place, sent a letter to the Denver Post announcing he would pull yet a third robbery so the innocent men could be set free. After being shot in the chest and an unsuccessful stint in prison himself (he escaped), he robbed a fourth train before finally going straight at age 29.
And he had a nickname.

What was his real name and what was he called in the press?

Old 09-27-2011, 02:27 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,153,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
YES! Excellent work. You got it right. I thought this would be a tough one, but thought ElkHunter might possibly get it since this all happened right down the road from where he has been living (halfway between Ranchester and Dayton).

There is a very interesting article about the "gathering" here:
Gathering the Tribes: The Cheyennes come together after Sand Creek | WyoHistory.org
I did know and kept my mouth shut. Connor Battlefield is about 400 yards from me. Bozeman trail lies right under my cabin. The area I live in is where the journals say they camped. Same with the settlers on the Bozeman trail. They would cross the Tongue to the North Side at the Battlefield and then proceed West until they got to 5 Mile Creek where they would camp. From here they would go in and resupply prior to crossing again and proceeding West. So both Indians and Settlers used this very ground for their camps.

Rescue3, by the way, water was up to my front step and yes, we did catch fish in the driveway. Tongue River was past the cabin and half way up the driveway to the street.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:58 PM

I just wanted to highlight the current question and say it looks like Rescue3 and I have been reading the same websites. I'll have to go back and see if I can remember who this guy is, I do recall reading about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
Okay, here's the next one:

In the early 1900s, this 26 year-old gentleman robbed his first train with a mere nickel in his pocket - seeking just enough money to make it through the winter. He later robbed another train and, when several innocent men were jailed in his place, sent a letter to the Denver Post announcing he would pull yet a third robbery so the innocent men could be set free. After being shot in the chest and an unsuccessful stint in prison himself (he escaped), he robbed a fourth train before finally going straight at age 29.
And he had a nickname.

What was his real name and what was he called in the press?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming